Old 05-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Levelling Block Fix

I bought 12 heavy-duty levelling blocks for the Interstate. I had a lot of the "Lego" orange blocks left over from the trailer, but I found that the higher weight of the Interstate will break them if the surface underneath is rocky or uneven. The heavier blocks are a lot stronger.

Unfortunately, the heavy blocks do not do well when stacked higher than one level. The usual 2 on the ground and one centered on top do not lock together like the Legos. The top block just slides off the stack.

I decided to drill 4 holes in each block and cut some pins to lock the blocks together. I had some 3/8" steel rod, so I made a plywood jig and drilled 48 holes, 4 in each of my 12 blocks. The holes are drilled a bit oversize so that the pins insert easily. The drilling got a bit old after a while.

I cut lengths of 3/8" steel bar and chamfered the ends using my grinder. The first test was successful. I can also use 3/8" bolts as pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Block jig.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	367499  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote