Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Boy guys....and I'm not trying to be critical.....but if you've never needed leveling your "B's", you're not camping far enough away from the cement and stop lights!

I've seen plenty of B, B+, and C's leveled with blocks.

I am RARELY camped where I don't need blocks for my trailer, and that's the way I like it!

It just depends on what you like and can tolerate.

National Forest sites are seldom perfectly level, we just maneuver til it's tolerable, and do just fine.

The same with the many conservation, river access, etc. areas we have spent the night in.

Again, this thread is about B-vans, not trailers. The need to level trailers Is a different issue.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
Lynx or Camco "Lego"? and why?
Good question. I looked at the reviews... some people claim that the legos will break. But the ones with the open matrix look to me like they would simply get pushed down into soft ground like a cookie cutter being pushed into cookie dough. I hope folks comment on this.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Good question. I looked at the reviews... some people claim that the legos will break. But the ones with the open matrix look to me like they would simply get pushed down into soft ground like a cookie cutter being pushed into cookie dough. I hope folks comment on this.
I've never broken a lego yet. Mine are from Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...et-of-10/24733)

On soft soil, you can put down a rubber mat under the blocks to keep them from sinking so much. A cheap rubber doormat works just fine for the purpose.

And you can always find other uses for a cheap rubber doormat so carrying a couple just in case makes better sense. Like putting one down by the exterior shower if you know you're going to use it, or by the service pedestal if the ground is muddy, or by the stove/oven in case of a spill. Or even by your RV's entrance door to wipe your feet…
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Sometimes they push in the ground in soft mud or sand, but Protag has the right answer for that. I use the same rubber flooring material for the Andersen levelers as well. I need the mats...maybe 10% of the time.

As for breaking, I had a set that dated from the early 90's that weren't as robust as the newer ones. After maybe 15 years they started to break up. Usually on sites that use large stone (like the 2" stuff). They may have started to get brittle too, with age. That's when I started using the mat, and I have had little further issue, especially with the newer designs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
These are the ones that I have had break:

Click image for larger version

Name:	levelingblocks1rs.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	234041

These are the ones that are more robust and I have had no issues:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.JPG
Views:	1031
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	234040

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I've used both, they're basically the same. We had the yellow ones with the B190 and the orange ones with the trailer. Both will sink into soft ground somewhat; I haven't noticed that the open-grid orange ones sink any more than the yellow ones. It seems to be easier to knock stones and stuff out of the orange ones.

We did snap a yellow one (dznf0g's second picture) one time by trying to use it as a ramp (i.e., not the intended purpose). Our fault entirely. We still used that one in the middle of a stack of blocks or even alone, so it didn't cause a problem.

This wouldn't matter as much for the Class B owners, but: The orange ones do have an optional wheel chock set that interlocks with the blocks. We were on a decent slope at a fairgrounds in 2013, and the trailer moved several inches until our regular chocks stopped it, enough that the tires were halfway off the leveling blocks. Last year, at the same spot, we had the special chocks and were able to prevent that shift from happening. It felt much safer. They aren't something we use regularly, but are good to have when we need them. They would also be useful (for both trailers and motorhomes) for knowing when you've hit the right spot on the blocks, if you're leveling alone.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #47

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
This wouldn't matter as much for the Class B owners, but: The orange ones do have an optional wheel chock set that interlocks with the blocks.
My yellow ones have interlocking chocks as well but they had to be purchased separately.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Has some lynx levelers brake when I backed the HMC motorhome over them. 35 foot mh was just too much weight, the Interstate was not a problem. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
...This wouldn't matter as much for the Class B owners, but: The orange ones do have an optional wheel chock set that interlocks with the blocks. ...
It actually DOES matter to me - I bought those generic red chocks that are available at any RV store as a first measure, and I use them religiously when we are doing DIY (especially the kind that sends me scooting under the chassis with its 9 whole inches of clearance). So I'm going to look into those leveling products that have that option. Thanks for this.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have the orange Lynx Levelers from Walmart. Haven't broken any, yet-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My yellow ones have interlocking chocks as well but they had to be purchased separately.
Cool, I haven't seen those. Thanks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #52
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is the Sprinter and B-van subforum, and the OP owns an Interstate, so advice regarding a trailer might be of use to some readers, but likely not to the OP.
Oops
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Pi View Post
Oops
Don't worry about it.

Plenty of B-van and Sprinter owners post to the trailer forums.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #54

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Don't worry about it.

Plenty of B-van and Sprinter owners post to the trailer forums.
I have no intention of discouraging trailer owners from posting to the B-vans forum. If anyone got that impression I apologize.

My comment was meant to have a different emphasis. In my experience, as soon as trailer owners post to the B-vans forum with ideas that will work on a trailer but won't work on a B-van, you start to get thread drift and soon the thread isn't about B-vans anymore, it's about trailers.

Trailer owners are more than welcome to post here, but please keep in mind that here on the B-vans forum we're looking for solutions that will work with a B-van. If you have a solution from your trailer experience that we B-van owners could steal—I mean use— we'll all be glad to read it!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All rigs should be level, regardless of what type of rig it is.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote