Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Leave Shore Power Connected 24/7

Since taking delivery in late May I have kept my Interstate in my driveway when not on a road trip.

I will be starting to store it in my garage on another property I own. I have a 30 amp RV outlet and am wondering if I can leave it plugged in all day, every day?
The solar panel does great keeping things charged but since I won't be in the sun anymore?

RV dealer said yes at walk thru and my airstream manual says no, but I realize a lot of info in the manuals is not updated every year and some may be wrong.

Can I call Magnum and see what they say, or will the answer be depending on the entire system install.

What is the consensus here?

Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I have mine plugged in 24/7 in my warehouse and called airstream to confirm and they said yes it's fine as it has an auto shutoff when charge and will trickle charge when low.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have several things that I keep plugged in even when not in use, a couple of them being RV's. I do have a battery disconnect on mine. But if the converter/charger is working properly it shouldn't matter.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Can you identify your charge converter by brand/model?

What about getting separate panels mounted on your garage roof that your quick connect when you park/store?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I keep mine plugged in all the time when home, but I do leave something small on like the radio or a night light so that there is a small drain on the batteries all the time.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Ralph & Shin

Frederick , Maryland
Soon after we bought our 2014 AI I had a 30 amp circuit installed and have kept it connected 24/7 when parked in the driveway. Given today's advances in electronics I would have been very surprised but even more disappointed, had it not have the auto shut off feature. By The Way Ron_CA, nice garage!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
The key to whether you can leave it plugged into shore power full time is whether you have a 3 stage charger or not. If you have a single stage converter/charger such as the Parallax that AS puts in their trailers then you should alternately charge the batteries fully and then disconnect them every few days to a week. This is because it charges at a constant 13.6-13.8 volts and will "cook" your batteries over time. A 3 stage charger will maintain the batteries on a "float" charge of about 13.2 volts.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
I have mine plugged in 24/7 in my warehouse and called airstream to confirm and they said yes it's fine as it has an auto shutoff when charge and will trickle charge when low.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Thanks Aron. I may call them tomorrow just to see if we get the same answer

Not sure what Converter / Charger I have. The controller is a Magnum ME-MR.

Thanks everbody for your thoughts.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
There have been numerous threads on how to efficiently manage batteries in the Interstate, and whether or not to leave it plugged into shore power indefinitely.
In my opinion the confusion is down to Airstream not updating the manual when they upgraded the charger/inverter to a Magnum.
The Magnum is a smart (multi stage) charger that efficiently maintains the batteries indefinitely. The only problem for Interstates is that Airstream never installed a temperature sensor since the Magnum needs to know the prevailing temperature to optimize charging.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I talked to Jim @ Airstream and he said yes, it is ok to leave plugged in. He even acknowledged that the manual states otherwise.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The only problem for Interstates is that Airstream never installed a temperature sensor since the Magnum needs to know the prevailing temperature to optimize charging.
What, then, makes the Magnum different from the Tripp Lite if neither have a working temperature sensor as installed in the Airstream?
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
What, then, makes the Magnum different from the Tripp Lite if neither have a working temperature sensor as installed in the Airstream?
This question is best answered by our resident electrical expert - Lewster - but I'll give it a go:

The Magnum has an automatic 4-stage charger process (Bulk, Absorb, Float,
and Full Charge). It continually monitors the battery without overcharging, and when the voltage drops below a certain level, will automatically go into float mode to provide a trickle charge.
The voltage levels at which it moves between one stage and another are dependent on temperature to ensure no under and over charging. Without the temperature sensor it uses a default setting.

I cannot answer for the Tripp Lite but believe it has a lower number of stages for charging and may not even have temperature sensor capabilities.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Those with the Tripplite should be very careful. Even with the dip switches in the correct positions, it boiled a set of batteries when left plugged in which is another reason I upgraded to the Magnum.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You could always plug into a cheap timer and set it to charge one hour a day. If it's only about batteries current should be real low.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
You could always plug into a cheap timer and set it to charge one hour a day. If it's only about batteries current should be real low.
I am actually leaning in this direction.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I cannot answer for the Tripp Lite but believe it has a lower number of stages for charging and may not even have temperature sensor capabilities.
I believe the TrippLite is three-stage without temperature compensation.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I am actually leaning in this direction.
Another relatively cheap and quick alternative is to get a smart battery charger that has the same features as a Magnum. I bought a CTEK Multi US 7002 in error before realizing the Magnum could be left plugged into shore power. And it has a temperature sensor.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Confidence in the grid should be part of the equation, here in FL the lightning capitol of the US it is better to pull the plug. Power surges are not unusual either, someone suggested a timer but if it is long term parking, a battery minder on the timer would be a better option, plugged in it will keep the batteries charged and maintained.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The 2015 models have the Magnum Inverter/charger.

The temperature sensor monitors the temperature to better tune the amount of voltage based on the temperature. But the main difference between the two is the Magnum won't overcharge the batteries-the Tripplite definitely will.

The Magnum is a "smart" charger. It shuts off all current when the batteries and fully charged, and then turns on when they are less than fully charged.

Leave it plugged in if you have a Magnum. If you have a Triplitte, don't. Rather, turn it on until a full charge is reached, and then unplug it.

You can add a battery temperature sensor for about 30 bucks. You can also upgrade to a better monitor and battery monitor kit. It's fun to click on the LPG valve for instance, and immediately see that you just upped the load by .6 of an amp. Or see just how ineffective the stock solar panel really is.

Finally, if you have the Tripplite, consider upgrading to the Magnum. It's worth every cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
We have some wild winter weather here in the Northwest including power outages and electrical spikes.

We kept our Airstream trailer connected 24/7/365 and plan to do the same with our new AI.

We leave a small table-top dehumidifier and heater (on low) to draw on the battery just a bit. In 9 years, we've never had a battery problem with the trailer. Don't expect one with the AI.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote