Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Leave Power Cord and Water Hook-ups At Campsite

I am curious on what people do when they “leave” their campsite for a day - do you leave your power cord and water/filter hose at the campsite - or do you disconnect all of it and store it back in the camper?

I love the convenience of the Class B+ size (we have an Atlas). I have done both but sometimes worry I am going to come back to our campsite and find them “gone”.

I suspect this is a personal preference issue along with a bit of “faith in our fellow human beings” to not take things. I would love to hear thoughts on this ….
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I always leave mine hooked up. I can’t imagine somebody would steal my water hose, but I suppose it’s possible. I worry a bit more about my surge protector, but not enough to lock it up or take it with me.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don’t ever hook up to water, but do go off and leave my electricity cord all the time, without ever a problem in 20 years of RV’ing.

There is very little theft in campgrounds, tho it happens it is the exception and not the rule.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The odds are overwhelmingly high in paid campgrounds that your "stuff" will still be there when you return.

That said, every time you leave it there, you have a 50-50 chance of it being there when you return. Eventually, you'll be on the losing end of your bet.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We never connect to city water, because we use our fresh tank and running water through it keeps the tank fresher. We pack up our electrical cord and surge protector and bring it along when we leave for the day to help avoid the potential inconvenience of having to replace that gear while camped in the middle of nowhere.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Happened to me. Water and power cord and a step stool. 20 minute trip to dump tanks. Family with you. Leave someone at the site or take it along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I always leave mine hooked up. I can’t imagine somebody would steal my water hose, but I suppose it’s possible. I worry a bit more about my surge protector, but not enough to lock it up or take it with me.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Happened to me. Water and power cord and a step stool. 20 minute trip to dump tanks. Family with you. Leave someone at the site or take it along.
That’s crazy. I lose a little bit of faith in people with each passing year. There are many good people, but there are many a-holes too.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Depending on where I am camped, I might leave a camp chair out with the electrical cord, to be clear I am coming back.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
The odds are overwhelmingly high in paid campgrounds that your "stuff" will still be there when you return.

That said, every time you leave it there, you have a 50-50 chance of it being there when you return. Eventually, you'll be on the losing end of your bet.
Which is is it? Overwhelmingly high or 50-50?
Old 06-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I've sometimes left the power cord when day-tripping in my Interstate from a paid private campsite, like a KOA. One time in Florida I came back and my cord was gone. Turned out the campground maintenance guy picked it up thinking I left it behind. I got it back after checking with the campground office.

I once left some firewood at a campsite that I left for the day. My neighbor helped their self to the wood. Go figure?

For piece of mind I would not leave anything that was not chain locked to a solid structure at campsite when leaving it for the day to travel locally with the van. I've used a bicycle lock to tie a folding chain to a picnic table - making it clear I'm coming back.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
One time in Florida I came back and my cord was gone. Turned out the campground maintenance guy picked it up thinking I left it behind.
I stopped at a campground in Georgia. After leaving the next day I realized I'd washed the dog bowl, and set it on the hose barb post to dry and driven away. Not a big cost, but I called and was told they'd send someone out to look.
I just happened to stop at the same park on the way home, took a walk around and found my bowl still sitting on the post a week later.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We seldom spend two nights at the same place. But we sometimes get a campsite early in the day and return much later in the day. We register and put the stub on the pole (if there is one) and put an 'OCCUPIED' sign on the pole or picnic table. I also take a picture of the registration stub in case somebody tries to claim that there was no registration stub.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have never worried about my power cord or hose. I recently started running water from my tank and not hooking up. I have never had anything stolen from a campsite. I think “if”someone is going to take anything, it won’t be something they need to disconnect. It will be more of a snatch and grab.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had one theft back in the 80's when I was staying at a big private campground in Myrtle Beach. While away from my site someone stole my wheel chocks and bumper caps (sewer hose storage was inside the bumper). I pretty much knew who did it because my neighbor had neither. When I came back to the site his trailer was gone. I'm sure they took it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Context

This thread, in the Sprinter and B-van forum, is about a motorized RV that leaves the campsite for day trips IMO.

Not a trailer.

Thus the vacant campsite might look abandoned, unlike when trailers are left in the campsite and the tow vehicle leaves for a day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_Airstream View Post
. . .
I love the convenience of the Class B+ size (we have an Atlas).
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We do leave a collapsible cone or two behind to "block" the campsite, which should help remind folks the site isn't really empty and that we will be back. If we're staying two or more nights, we often put up a screen tent, so that stays behind while we're out and about. As we noted before, we don't leave our power cord and surge protector behind simply because we don't want to deal with the inconvenience of having to replace that on the fly.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have had levelling blocks taken (the "giant lego" style), and have had a disc golf practice basket taken while I was gone for the day. In both cases I got them back. A fellow camper saw what happened each time, and I was able to track the equipment down, but each time it was a hassle. Those taking the stuff thought I had abandoned or had forgotten my stuff - or at least claimed that they thought this - I tend to believe them. I have decided to simply pack up everything when I leave from now on.

I have also thought about packing a small backpacker's tent and setting it up to make my site look more occupied when I go out for the day. If I was staying in the same place for a week at a time or more, this might be worth it, but I haven't gone that far yet. I spoke to a young couple that were on a year long trip, camping out of their van, who used this technique and who found that it worked well for them.
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
. . .
. . . Those taking the stuff thought I had abandoned or had forgotten my stuff . . .
. . .
Exactly . . . a "no-brainer" and reasonable assumption IMO -- not perfectly 100% sound, but what the hey?

The choice is there for every RV owner to make when leaving the site for the day . . .

" . . . Take my stuff, or risk losing it . . . "

A simple choice, with which one must live . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We do leave a collapsible cone or two behind to "block" the campsite, which should help remind folks the site isn't really empty and that we will be back.

We laminated 2 "Occupied" Signs that we then tape to a set of cones. However, I never leave the surge protector or power cord behind.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I leave a water hose at the site; it could be easily and cheaply replaced.

I always take the RV power cord and surger; replacing them would be expensive and possibly inconvenient.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote