Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
AS or. MB. Doesn't matter. You still need to file a complaint with NHTSA. They will need the VIN.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
AS or. MB. Doesn't matter. You still need to file a complaint with NHTSA. They will need the VIN.
I am not familiar with the reporting requirements and venue. Can you assist?
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #23
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly. View Post
Go here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

And click on Start the form

First thing it will ask for is your VIN, so have it handy.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

Watchuko provided the link. I have also covered the topic of NHTSA (AKA they are the department for consumer products. NTSB covers commercial transportation such as trains, busses and commercial trucks) in my RV Tire Safety blog.

You can / should report any failure that could result is injury or significant property damage. Not just tire failures but in this example imagin the door fell off and a car hit it on the road or swerved to avoid the door and crashed.

I recently confirmed a factory error that resulted in the failure of my ABS system so that was reported to NHTSA.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #25
MJAI

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
north Prince George , Virginia
I noticed on my 2020 19 Interstate: difficult for the automatic door to close properly when park on the slope. I have to help pushing the door in for it to lock properly. No problem when it was parked on the level surface.
MJAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
That by itself is not unusual. The weight of the door makes it very clumsy to close given the weight. You should make sure the arm on the bottom of the door is not dragging on the channel and that the two fasteners in the arm are secure. If either of those conditions exist, get the vehicle to MB as soon as possible. I am still trying to get my vehicle to MB so they can analyze the issue.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
As a result of this thread I checked the operation of my sliding door. I would not describe it as dragging, but it did seem a bit sluggish. I used spray silicon on the upper, middle, and lower rollers and tracks and it rolls much more easily.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Another factory gaff

The Dallas dealer towed several new trailers to display at the urban rally in Brownwood. On the way there one of the trailers lost a wheel, which badly tore up the side of the brand new trailer. They found that the lug nuts had never been torqued on that trailer.

They got on the horn back to the dealer to check every unit on the lot.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
Halloween Update

Yesterday Grapevine Mercedes was able to stop over to the storage facility and evaluate the repair. I have nothing but great things to say about this Mercedes facility and the people in their shop. They have gone far out of their way to help in this situation and it is much appreciated given the circumstances.
Apparently the lower arm was disconnected from the inner track probably due to loose fasteners on the arm which allowed the door to come out of the lower track and then eventually as depicted in the photo to come out of the upper track.
The repair is likely to cause coordination between the RV repair facility and Mercedes as Mercedes will not remove and reinstall
any enhancement which was performed by Airstream. This to me is understandable but nevertheless
frustrating. The fix apparently is to remove the upholstered side of the door and some of the flooring. So the RV repair facility will have to remove the required components, Mercedes will fix the arm and tracks and then the RV people will replace the components!
UGH!!!!!
I will continue to update the thread but I would strongly suggest all AI owners regularly inspect the two fasteners on the lower arm for any looseness.
There are only a handful of owners following this thread and I think there should be a mechanism to communicate this issue to wider ownership group.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #30
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thank you for the update. I will try to take photos of what needs to be checked and share here and in the Facebook group. I will also share a link to this thread when I do the post in FB.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Photos of which bolts to check would be great. Thanks Wachuko. Hopefully the trim and floor does not need to be removed in order to check their tightness.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? This is clearly a safety issue and it doesn't matter if it is MB or AS fault.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
No the fasteners are pretty obvious and in clear sight when the door is open.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
Have tried repeatedly. Will not accept the VIN although multiple MB dealers have accepted the VIN. I have reentered the number and had my wife and son enter also so I am convinced it is not a input error. Typical government incompetence!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Have tried repeatedly. Will not accept the VIN although multiple MB dealers have accepted the VIN. I have reentered the number and had my wife and son enter also so I am convinced it is not a input error. Typical government incompetence!
Are you entering the Mercedes VIN or the Airstream VIN? The NHTSA site will not recognize the Airstream VIN, while it might cross to the MB VIN at a dealer.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Rye , New Hampshire
Each ASI I’ve owned seems to have it’s own personality - especially the door. I prefer a hard to close door at delivery, they loosen up over time.

I may not understand your entire situation, so please forgive me if I’m missing something. My advice is only intended to help, not challenge your own personal strategy for bringing closure to your problem.

Call a quality European auto body shop, ask them to take care of the repair. Send the invoice to AS or MB and put an end to coordination between the two entities and your extended warranty plan. It won’t cost much money and it isn’t worth grieving or anguishing over.

I know this from two personal experiences on two separate vans.

Pay the body shop cash to encourage prompt attention if necessary.

I had one sliding door sideswiped within 2 hours of ASI VAN delivery by a “cracked” up hit and run driver. Put a brand new door on it in five days painted with proper interior trim $5,200 (cash).

I had another fall off the track just like yours, it was repaired by another Porsche body shop in 2.25 hours (no paint work) for $350 + three pizzas and a case of beer.

I’m sorry for your loss. Mitigate and move forward - toward your next adventure.

PS

AS and MB always argue over the sliding door. MB will say it’s AS’s fault, the door was manipulated by AS at upfit. AS will say their production staff is qualified to reassemble the door per MB specs.

For simple adjustments:
Truth is, I’ve found a quality AS tech can adjust a “sticky or loose” door better than the MB techs I’ve experienced. The door modifications AS makes increase the weight of the door (among other changes). If the AS service advisor won’t agree to have their tech adjust - talk with the tech yourself and hand them $20. I’ve never been turned down by the tech. And I promise in PDI - they adjust them all the time (off record). That’s four service visits for door adjustment at 3 different AS facilities and two MB facilities. Door squeaks, extended at the top, whistles, rattles, hard close, loose (close too easily) etc.

Simple stuff really.
Rye, NH and Jackson, WY
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote