Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Lack of activity here; what's up?

The most recent post here (Sprinter and B-van Forum) is almost 6 months old and I'm wondering why. I know there are relatively few Interstates (and B-vans) on the road but the Interstate is currently in production. You would think a few owners would be having some problems or questions.

What am I missing?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
they must be alot better than a trailer,no shell off for frame repair or bad axles, leakes, wireing repair, clear coat repair, polishing,floor replace,plumbing, holding tank repair, etc.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
this is primarily a trailer site, moho's use other sites
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loft47 View Post
this is primarily a trailer site, moho's use other sites
Granted, most Airstreams are trailers, and most Airstream MH's are classics or argosy's (I think). Even fewer are Land Yacht /Legacys, Flat-Fronts and Sprinters/B-Vans. So the vast majority of threads do focus on the trailers and way less on the MH's. However, if you are in need of help with an issue on your MH/Interstate, there is usually someone who speaks up and responds. Otherwise, have fun surfing the most recent threads and posts on the portal page.

We have a 2005 Land Yacht with Slide and I agree that there is way less activity on the Land Yacht MH Forum. Nonetheless, I still enjoy sharing info on many topics with other AS owners.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
The most recent post here (Sprinter and B-van Forum) is almost 6 months old and I'm wondering why. I know there are relatively few Interstates (and B-vans) on the road but the Interstate is currently in production. You would think a few owners would be having some problems or questions.

What am I missing?

This site has more posts and is generally more fun to read.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
they must be alot better than a trailer,no shell off for frame repair or bad axles, leakes, wireing repair, clear coat repair, polishing,floor replace,plumbing, holding tank repair, etc.
I interpret the lack of activity as the B190/Sprinter motorhomes having few problems.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We went from a 28' CCD to a Westfalia last fall. I now frequent the Sprinter Forum, Yahoo AS Sprinter Westfalia Group and the Air Forums.

With only 250 or fewer Westies on the road the Yahoo group is sparse and the topics tend to be boring and technical.

The Sprinter Forum is very technical and is not lady friendly. There are a lot of ungentlemanly posts. Westy specific posts are few and far between.

Air Forums is still my favorite. I enjoy all the variety of the threads. I am an Airstream fan and am proud that my Westy bears the name. A lot of Westy owners do not identify with the brand and even de-brand their units. It is my connection until our camping needs change and we return to the iconic aluminum model again.

I wish there was a larger B-Van filling on Air too.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I interpret the lack of activity as the B190/Sprinter motorhomes having few problems.

This is also true.

Once factory-install issues were corrected, it has been smooth sailing for the past four years.

We love our Interstate, and couldn't be happier with it.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
This site has more posts and is generally more fun to read.
Maggie
I agree. I like to read all the different forums.
Michigan
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Our Mercedes dealership was just awarded Sprinter franchise so I am about to learn alot about these rigs. So far we are very impressed with the design and functionality. They really seem bullet proof.

I think is nice to see the Sprinters here..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Our Mercedes dealership was just awarded Sprinter franchise so I am about to learn alot about these rigs. So far we are very impressed with the design and functionality. They really seem bullet proof.

I think is nice to see the Sprinters here..

Vinnie
Let me begin by saying that I am a Sprinter fan and have just replaced my '04 Sprinter with a new '11 Mercedes Sprinter.

Let me also enlighten you to the fact that THEY ARE NOT BULLET PROOF!

I have spent many thousands of dollars over the last 6 years to keep the '04 running, and that does not include the regular maintenance done at or before requirements. Turbo, alternator and transmission at 115K along with other out-of-warranty components, and the last straw, the #2 piston failing at 160K requiring a new engine, which I opted not to replace and instead, replaced the entire van.

A unique, multi-purpose vehicle that is currently alone in it's market niche in the US....DEFINITELY! Bullet-proof........DEFINITELY NOT!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Let me begin by saying that I am a Sprinter fan and have just replaced my '04 Sprinter with a new '11 Mercedes Sprinter.

I have spent many thousands of dollars over the last 6 years to keep the '04 running, and that does not include the regular maintenance done at or before requirements. Turbo, alternator and transmission at 115K along with other out-of-warranty components, and the last straw, the #2 piston failing at 160K requiring a new engine, which I opted not to replace and instead, replaced the entire van.

A unique, multi-purpose vehicle that is currently alone in it's market niche in the US....DEFINITELY! Bullet-proof........DEFINITELY NOT!
Hmmm, sad to hear that.

We do routine upkeep religiously. Ours has a Mercedes diesel 5 cylinder inline, which we are told should go hundreds of thousands of miles. We were just plain lucky to pick this up, a 2006 we got in 2007 and now have 90,000+ miles on.

We are hopeful this will be the only one we ever own.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Maggie,

ALL Sprinters are Mercedes, regardless of whether they are badged Dodge of Freightliner. Remember, Mercedes owns or owned both companies and at the time, did not want the vans associated with their upscale car dealerships. That has now changed and the only place you can get the Sprinter is at selected Mercedes dealers and some Freightliner outlets, but that is slao coming to an end soon with Sprinter vans ONLY being available thru Mercedes dealers.

If you look at the imprint on your glass and other areas of the van, you will see the Mercedes 3-pointed star everywhere. The only thing they changed was the grill, wheel inserts, horn button and shift knob and a few exterior name plates. Other than that, you have a Mercedes van.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #14

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I saw one at the KC auto show last weekend and they are nice! Our local Mercedes dealer got the AS franchise just for the Vans. They said they may order trailers but not any time soon!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Maggie,

ALL Sprinters are Mercedes, regardless of whether they are badged Dodge of Freightliner. Remember, Mercedes owns or owned both companies and at the time, did not want the vans associated with their upscale car dealerships. That has now changed and the only place you can get the Sprinter is at selected Mercedes dealers and some Freightliner outlets, but that is slao coming to an end soon with Sprinter vans ONLY being available thru Mercedes dealers.

If you look at the imprint on your glass and other areas of the van, you will see the Mercedes 3-pointed star everywhere. The only thing they changed was the grill, wheel inserts, horn button and shift knob and a few exterior name plates. Other than that, you have a Mercedes van.
Aaaah, I did not know that. Thanks.

Maggie
Old 03-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
What am I missing?
Since I have been visiting the forums quite a bit lately, I have noticed that the individual forums, by themselves, really do not see that much activity.

For instance, check out the "Airstream Trailer Forums" within the "Airstream Knowledge Base". Some of the sub-sub-forums, such as the "2003 Limited" have not had a post since 2005, whereas the Classic, Excella, and International forums seem to be busier. Quite a few forums have been dormant way more than six months.

If you only look at the portal page you can get a skewed view of the volume of posts per type of unit out there.

When we first joined the AS family in 2007, I felt a little left out also. Now, I just enjoy what others have to say. In the meantime, I have befriended a few other very proud owners of like vehicles and am having a great time.
Michigan
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:

Hi Lewster,

I have heard reports like yours from others. I know MBUSA is aware aswell. 2001-2005 were tough years for the product on a whole. Consumer reports wouldnt recommend even one of our products during those years. Thats very sad for sure. A corporate initiative went into full effect in 2006 to get the company back on top. I have to say we are impressed with what we see now as our warranty costs have dropped from 60% of our business model to a mere 20% of what we do now. The dealers had to learn how to sell service vs. being order takers for warranty.
The feedback on the newer trucks is good. We are working with a fleet account of 2008, 2009 and 2010 trucks with 100K in mileage and the cost of breakdown and time out of service is better than the econoline fleet. Lets hope this trend continues.

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
I think everyone's been hibernating and just waiting for that first trip!