Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Myers , Florida
Kitchen sink faucet in 2016 AI

Has anyone ever replaced the faucet in the kitchen sink. Would love to put in a faucet that came up higher, so that if that if my wife or I just wanted to wash our hair we could so easily.
llleimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
But would the sink lid close with a higher faucet? Perhaps get a rubber hose that fits over the end of the faucet that you could move around as desired? Such as this at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-08-2180...faucet+adapter

Or use the bathroom sink/shower hose? Or the outside shower? We simply use the shower but I can see the merits of your goal.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The more I think about it, the more I believe the OP has a really good question. This isn't as big a thing in America where close to 100% of people shower, but some people from other countries (including me) grew up washing their hair separately, often in the sink or leaning over the side of a tub. I lived in a series of old-style houses, none of which included a shower - people took tub baths only, and in that scenario there's good reason to do hair separately (I was 19 years old and living in a university residence before I saw a daily shower).

Right now I'm working in earnest on late-summer, longer-term boondocking logistics. I'm at the point of trying to figure out how to scoop lake water into this device pictured below, heat it up in the sun or perhaps add a little heated water from the stove or fire pit, and shower that way instead of consuming my on-board fresh water and filling up the gray tank (I don't have to worry about outdoor nudity because I own the tract on which I'll be boondocking - it's fairly remote undeveloped land, and there's nobody else out there).

It would be much easier to wash hair separately. The problem with this kind of portable shower device or a military-style wet bath shower is that one would spend much of one's time and resources trying to rinse the Head & Shoulders shampoo off the entire rest of the body if one tried to use it like a stick-house shower with its endless supply of water... it's just not as quick or efficient as it ideally would be. One should not have to toil to rinse Head & Shoulders off one's entire body. One should just have to rinse it off one's head and be done with it.

I don't know what kind of faucet could be retrofit into that Dometic sink, but I'm going to search for one. It would indeed be easier than using a bucket for the hair wash portion, which was my initial thought.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You could remove the current faucet and cap off the holes. Plumbing houses have various finishes of hole covers. Then install a tall faucet between sink and stove, overhanging the sink. It could be close to the wall, at a 45-degree angle, and fairly close to the sink. The glass cover could stay or it could be removed depending on the faucet height and design.

It is all PEX plumbing and fairly easy to cut and connect with non-crimp connectors.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Houston , Texas
Outside shower?

I saw on a blog where they replaced the kitchen faucet so that it could be pulled outside to shower. Any ideas or experience with this.
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJane View Post
I saw on a blog where they replaced the kitchen faucet so that it could be pulled outside to shower. Any ideas or experience with this.
Interesting. IIRC, all of the Interstates have exterior showers already, so I doubt that anyone has tried such a modification.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
llleimer - Maybe you missed this project I did about 9 months ago. I installed a residential faucet and also put in a much larger and deeper sink. Here is a link to my blog page about it:
https://www.winstonsadventures.com/b...eam-interstate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	329357  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by llleimer View Post
Has anyone ever replaced the faucet in the kitchen sink. Would love to put in a faucet that came up higher, so that if that if my wife or I just wanted to wash our hair we could so easily.
llleimer - The faucet/sink mod that TRONADORA did above would be my pick if you want the best of both - a super nice residential faucet & much better, deeper sink. Or, if you want the cheaper route and keep your existing faucet & sink, get this adapter, remove existing faucer aerator, install new adapter/aerator. Stainless steel braided hose & pullout head can be bought from any hardware store. We have same setup for the wet bath sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181210_065853.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	329402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181210_065912.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	329403  

Name:	20181210_065930.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	329404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181210_070006.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	329405  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I'm replacing the faucet with this . Unfortunately, the modification of the knob destroyed the original knob, and the hex bolt I had to use to keep the valve from opening when in the up postion was so short it made it very difficult to turn on. This replacement should fit, although the quality is likely not that good (made of chrome plated plastic). But given the very limited use it will given, I'm hoping it will solve both the accidently turned on hot water tap flooding the vehicle, and at the same time, make it easier to use.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
llleimer - The faucet/sink mod that TRONADORA did above would be my pick if you want the best of both - a super nice residential faucet & much better, deeper sink. Or, if you want the cheaper route and keep your existing faucet & sink, get this adapter, remove existing faucer aerator, install new adapter/aerator. Stainless steel braided hose & pullout head can be bought from any hardware store. We have same setup for the wet bath sink.

Under pressure when used with a quick shutoff spigot tip, my faucet neck blew out from this joint and made a big mess, and that was from RV water pump 45 psi. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	329488
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote