Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Kenwood Unit died!

We’re on the road and the Kenwood DNN 991HD stopped working when I tried inputting GPS coordinates.

I tried rebooting it several times with out success.

The problem is that i can still hear it running with the ignition off. To me that means it’s still pulling power.

I tried pulling several fuses related to the radio and gps per the MB fuse booklet with out any luck.

Is there other fuses that will cut the power to the Kenwood unit or do I need to pull the unit out of the dash and disconnect the power cord on the back?

Unfortunately I don’t have the 2 plastic keys with me to release it myself!

Appreciate any insight you may have to cut the power to the unit!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
If your 2015 is like my 2013 it is powered by the house batteries full time and the chassis battery (only with ignition on, I think). The house battery power goes through a 15A thermal breaker - which cannot be tripped manually and is not affected by the chassis battery disconnect switch.

I have to hold my 'menu' button down a bit to shut the unit off (ie to stop the background noise), even though the screen has gone black.

My Kenwood is a different model than yours - 7190 I think.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
We’re on the road and the Kenwood DNN 991HD stopped working when I tried inputting GPS coordinates.

I tried rebooting it several times with out success.

The problem is that i can still hear it running with the ignition off. To me that means it’s still pulling power.

I tried pulling several fuses related to the radio and gps per the MB fuse booklet with out any luck.

Is there other fuses that will cut the power to the Kenwood unit or do I need to pull the unit out of the dash and disconnect the power cord on the back?

Unfortunately I don’t have the 2 plastic keys with me to release it myself!

Appreciate any insight you may have to cut the power to the unit!
RIGRAT - Per schema for your 2015 (attached pics) it is CB5 (15A) on house M-4 distribution panel. I am unable to confirm from schema what type CB it is but TITUS already said this is not resettable. I trust his since my unit is different than yours, so I cant trust mine to compare. The only other +12v lead is to MB Ignition switch.Good luck troubleshooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-08-15-21-28.png
Views:	42
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	348878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-08-15-19-44.png
Views:	35
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	348879  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
PAST EDIT window:

Kenwood is no diff than Fusion install . Pop out center trim with plastic trim tool, all radio harnesses should be dangling, easily able to pull disconnect. But if hands too big to reach back there, T25 Torx bits to remove head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190808_161649.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	348880  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the input and technical data. My mind is eased knowing that the power drain is not coming from the chassis battery. At least I can plug the coach batteries into shore power until I can pull the unit out of the dash and disconnect the power cord to the Kenwood!

I did try turning off the master power switches to the coach batteries along with disconnecting the chassis battery disconnect plug by the gas pedal in hopes that that would stop the power drain. Neither of those actions did any good.

When I get the current Kenwood removed I'd be interested to learn from any of you what brand replacement units you went with and how pleased you are with your choices!

Thanks Again!

Mark
Old 08-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
I did try turning off the master power switches to the coach batteries along with disconnecting the chassis battery disconnect plug by the gas pedal in hopes that that would stop the power drain. Neither of those actions did any good.
RIGRAT -yes, I can confirm (looking at the schema) both the above behaviour and TITUS saying radio is powered full time. On the partial 2nd pic I sent above, the 50A CB4 output is the input to the House Main Disconnect switch. And the 15A CB5 goes straight to Kenwood. So AS bypassed the house disconnects & fusebox, I assume so Kenwood is usable anytime.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
FWIW, on mine the following a fed by a large + cable from the chassis battery to thermal breakers, NOT through the chassis battery disconnect:
Lounge motor
Kenwood
Solar Panel
Tank heater pads
This cable from the battery also feeds through a 50A thermal breaker to the battery cutoff switch then to the 12V fuse panel beneath the front of the lounge seat.
Second large + cable from chassis battery goes to generator start solenoid
Third large + cable goes to the Magnum
Old 08-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
I do not understand why AS powers radio, lounge motor directly instead of it running through the House Main Disconnect and Fusebox. I do understand the solar & tank heating pads being wired direct. Mine is wired that same exact way
Old 08-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I don't understand either why some are run direct and others through the cut-off. I also don't understand why they decided to use non-serviceable thermal breakers for some and blade fuses for others.