Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Kenwood (Garmin) Map Updates

WOW: $69.99 update from Garmin to get the North America NT 2014 Maps.

Heck I normally use WAZE or Google to navigate anyway; but thought it would be nice to update the system before heading out on my cross country trips coming up.

Am I just a penny pincher; or does anyone else think it is silly to pay for maps for a GPS device? Businesses have to change to survive: I know Garmin allowing lifetime updates on its nüvi devices, with it had them for this one.

Going to try OpenStreetMap to see if I can get that to work.
Index of /
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
OEM updates in cars cost more than that! But I like the free updates on my Garmin RV unit.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
While messing with head unit I noticed it did say it include lifetime traffic info so that's nice. I'd like to get the iPhone app to work so I can get weather and other features.

Mike
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
MB charges $299 for their update in my E-class and not nearly as good as the Garmin software. If you go aftermarket, some units now have screen mirroring which is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy. We put one of these units in our '11 Jetta Sportwagen so you can use the phone mirrored on the screen or any Windows CE compatable GPS software like IGO.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
In '12 Garmin had a promo and I got a lifetime subscription for my truck GPS for $70. On black Friday '13 I got an update to the road map for my hiking GPS for $20 which I'd never have bothered with otherwise. The other price is that you must tolerate marketing e-mails to hear about the promos. In truth the e-mails are infrequent.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
GM gets $200 for an updated DVD. Can get for less on ebay tho. Garmins w/ LM after the model no. include lifetime maps.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I ended up paying the $70. Not worth that to chase down all the options after looking into it. Note: it doesn't actually "update" the unit, just downloads new maps to SD card that has to stay in unit.

Now to get a reliable BT connection so I can use the weather and personalization features in the SmartLink app on my iPhone.

Mike
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I ended up paying the $70. Not worth that to chase down all the options after looking into it. Note: it doesn't actually "update" the unit, just downloads new maps to SD card that has to stay in unit.

Now to get a reliable BT connection so I can use the weather and personalization features in the SmartLink app on my iPhone.

Mike
Mine updates both firmware and map database. Didn't have to install the SD card 'til about the third update. Not sure what happens if that storage is used up.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Mine updates both firmware and map database. Didn't have to install the SD card 'til about the third update. Not sure what happens if that storage is used up.
Given that the Garmin's onboard memory is somewhere in the vicinity of 4GB, and you can get SD cards with up to 128GB these days, you may never run out of storage space no matter how many updates you do.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Given that the Garmin's onboard memory is somewhere in the vicinity of 4GB, and you can get SD cards with up to 128GB these days, you may never run out of storage space no matter how many updates you do.
IIRC, 8GB is the max that the 1450 nuvi will accept.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Reno , Nevada
Unhappy SD slot in Garmin doesn't recognize the SD card

I've been puzzled for a year now how to get the maps updated in my OEM Garmin. The Garmin installed by AS went bad in a couple weeks, so a new model was installed free (great!). However, I see it has out-of-date maps in some areas we drive.

I tried to follow the instructions and use the menus to get ready to add the new maps via SD card, but the unit doesn't seem to recognize the card when I click the card into the slot.

Anyone else have troubles getting their unit updated/loaded with new maps on an SD card?
EddieTheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
IIRC, 8GB is the max that the 1450 nuvi will accept.
You mean the micro SD card size? You might be right, but it could also be that was the largest card size available when the manual was printed. Since the cards all have the same contacts on the edge, it's entirely possible that the unit will accept higher-capacity cards just fine; it's just that Garmin won't guarantee that they'll work. You try it at your own risk.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post
Anyone else have troubles getting their unit updated/loaded with new maps on an SD card?
On my Kenwood/Garmin DNX7180, I have to use the USB interface and a flash drive for updates.

I put a blank SD card in the slot just in case the built-in memory fills up and I need overflow memory, but I can't actually use the SD to update maps or firmware.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If I run into another "not enough memory" situation, I'll call them again as they told me that 8GB was max. for mine. Maybe they can update the firmware to handle larger memory capacity.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Ford wants $150 for the new map update for my '13 Edge, and if I order it before Dec. 31st, they'll waive the 'shipping'...lucky me.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I ended up paying the $70......

.....Now to get a reliable BT connection so I can use the weather and personalization features in the SmartLink app on my iPhone.

Mike

If you are having Bluetooth issues make sure you have the latest software update in your unit. They are free from Kenwood. BT was one of the problems they were fixing with updates. Mine works OK now, not great BT if you switch devices often.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
DNX890HD Maps Update Process

Here is what I had to do to update the maps on my Kenwood DNX890HD.

1) Update firmware to unit:
Kenwood / firmware updater

Instructions:
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...Wupdate_en.pdf

2) Update Map Data
https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/s...playDeviceList

Updating maps required the following actions:
a. insert an SD Card (I used 8GB) into radio slot behind the screen. I pressed the eject button, but still had to use some force on rear of screen to push it down further to reveal the SD slot.

b. in Navigations setting menu; choose upgrade maps. This writes an XML file to the memory card with information Garmin uses to license the update to a single device (from best I can tell).

c. place SD card in laptop and visit the UPDATE MAPS link above.

d. purchase the maps (actually GarminExpress; which manages your updates).

e. Run Garmin Express to install the new map on the SD Card.

f. install the SD card back in radio in van.

I confirmed with Garmin that the SD card MUST stay in the slot to use the new maps; the map is not copied to the radio; the navigation reads it from the SD card.

And now I have all the updated waypoints and cul-de-sacs in North America

I really want to get the bluetooth & SmartLink working properly - that will be next time.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
You mean the micro SD card size? You might be right, but it could also be that was the largest card size available when the manual was printed. Since the cards all have the same contacts on the edge, it's entirely possible that the unit will accept higher-capacity cards just fine; it's just that Garmin won't guarantee that they'll work. You try it at your own risk.
It isn't just the electrical contacts that determine if an SD card can be read or not. The cards come in three different capacity ranges SDSC (standard Capacity - 8 GB), SDHC (High capacity — up to 32 GB), and SDXC (eXtended Capacity - up to 2 TB). The firmware in the reader device must recognize and know how to access the different SD card versions. Any reader can handle SD, but not all can read SDHC, and even fewer comprehend SDXC. If the firmware in the system only comprehends SD then you are limited to 8 GB capacity.

On top of that there are different SD bus speeds but fortunately those are backward compatible where the capacity ranges not so much.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
You mean the micro SD card size?
Just so everyone knows: it is full size SD card. I used 8GB because it was plenty big and was the one I had laying around. All files with the 2014 map is 3.9 GB.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Just so everyone knows: it is full size SD card. I used 8GB because it was plenty big and was the one I had laying around. All files with the 2014 map is 3.9 GB.
There was also mention of the Nuvi, which takes a micro SD card, and my question about card size was related to that comment.