Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Can't you download it directly for nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is DVD based. GM is always a decade behind on tech.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
I updated the maps in our 2013 AI in early 2014. Ever since the unit makes crazy dumb choices on routes. I've found no rhyme or reason to it. I've went through all menus to make sure shortest time, no dirt roads, no detour, etc is set. It made the unit completely useless for nav unless you want to drive miles out of the way everywhere you go. We use the iPhone and google maps exclusively now.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I use the Copilot app on my iPhone to supplement the Kenwood Garmin navigation. Also have my wife follow along on a paper map for the big picture.

I like Copilot since it doesn't need cell data and is a lot faster at recalculating than the Garmin.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Mine is DVD based. GM is always a decade behind on tech.
Are you serious? DVD is the old technology referred to with the Tahoe. It is old tech now, in 2015. GM doesn't use DVD any more and haven't as platforms have changed. They now update by onstar or web, if the vehicle has 4G lte. And that's a decade behind.....how?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
And that's a decade behind.....how?
Well I just hook my Garmin up to the interweb for free. Been doing that for a number of years now. I know that GM went to a hard drive nav a few years ago in the Tahoe. Not sure how the updates are downloaded tho. Maybe w/ a flash drive from a download from the web.

And the Garmin was about $175 and the GM nav was about $2,000.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big GM fan and pretty much driven their cars most of my illustrious career.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No argument on cost. Don't get it and never will. BUT, free with Garmin is only if you pay the upfront premium models with lifetime updates. I did. However, with consumer electronics, lifetime only means till they don't support it anymore. Been there, done that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Is the new GM map update free?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually, I'm not sure....but they are over the air.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This line from a 2015 Silverado owner manual. I assume there is still a charge. I didn't go to the website.

"Map Data Updates
The map data in the vehicle is the most up-to-date information available when the vehicle was produced. The map data is updated periodically, provided that the map information has changed.

For questions about the operation of the navigation system or the update process, contact the GM Nav Disc Center toll-free phone number, 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472) or go to the center’s website, GM | Home | HERE. If updates are needed, call the GM Nav Disc Center or order online."

To order, have the vehicle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available. This helps the center make sure that the correct and most up-to-date map data for the vehicle is received. See “Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)” in the owner manual. "

Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, varies by carline and what gen nav system, but it costs.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This line from a 2015 Silverado owner manual. I assume there is still a charge. I didn't go to the website.

"Map Data Updates
The map data in the vehicle is the most up-to-date information available when the vehicle was produced. The map data is updated periodically, provided that the map information has changed.

For questions about the operation of the navigation system or the update process, contact the GM Nav Disc Center toll-free phone number, 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472) or go to the center’s website, GM | Home | HERE. If updates are needed, call the GM Nav Disc Center or order online."

To order, have the vehicle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available. This helps the center make sure that the correct and most up-to-date map data for the vehicle is received. See “Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)” in the owner manual. "
This sounds like the same thing as getting a new DVD for the old systems.

2015 Tahoe USB stick is $159.99 + $3.95 shipping.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I remember when CD sets were $600, so.......I guess it all depends on perspective and tech costs. Also remember, no OEM does their own. NavQ, Garmin, etc. are the database vendors for various OEMs. So, somewhat, the automakers are at their mercy....or negotiation skills? Volume purchases?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
On my Kenwood/Garmin DNX7180, I have to use the USB interface and a flash drive for updates.

I put a blank SD card in the slot just in case the built-in memory fills up and I need overflow memory, but I can't actually use the SD to update maps or firmware.
Protag-

Does the SD card not work for map updates by design? I haven't been able to do updates by SD card, either, and am going to have to pull the unit from the dash to get to the USB in the back (which has the iPod cable connected to it in the glove box).

Do you know a link on the Kenwood site to get the map and firmware updates for the DNX?
EddieTheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCpl View Post
I updated the maps in our 2013 AI in early 2014. Ever since the unit makes crazy dumb choices on routes. I've found no rhyme or reason to it. I've went through all menus to make sure shortest time, no dirt roads, no detour, etc is set. It made the unit completely useless for nav unless you want to drive miles out of the way everywhere you go. We use the iPhone and google maps exclusively now.

Brian
I agree on the dumb routes thing - it picks shortest distance routes that are much longer time-wise, due to back roads and other paths that are not the smart way to go.
EddieTheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... Also have my wife follow along on a paper map for the big picture.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Closely-related question: What is everyone's favorite brand or format of paper maps?

Someone (Eklund?) recently posted an online coupon for DeLorme state atlases on another thread. 50% off. The coupon code worked for me and I bought three of them.

I hate 'em. They devote far too much real estate to city maps and not enough to maps of the boonies. Very few people need reams of paper maps of urban areas - that information is readily available via cell phone in a number of formats and without subscriptions. As a result of the huge amount of space devoted to cities, DeLorme was forced to compress the boonies pages into something that is so mis-scaled and dense that it's almost unreadable.

I should have done more homework prior to purchasing them. I need good, balanced map coverage of those places for which cell coverage is spotty or unreliable.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

melrose , Massachusetts
just updated firmware on my 2014 and tech was kind enough to advise not to update maps since only the 2015 update is currently available. new 2016 update should be released soon.
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Closely-related question: What is everyone's favorite brand or format of paper maps?

Someone (Eklund?) recently posted an online coupon for DeLorme state atlases on another thread. 50% off. The coupon code worked for me and I bought three of them.

I hate 'em. They devote far too much real estate to city maps and not enough to maps of the boonies. Very few people need reams of paper maps of urban areas - that information is readily available via cell phone in a number of formats and without subscriptions. As a result of the huge amount of space devoted to cities, DeLorme was forced to compress the boonies pages into something that is so mis-scaled and dense that it's almost unreadable.

I should have done more homework prior to purchasing them. I need good, balanced map coverage of those places for which cell coverage is spotty or unreliable.

I've used Rand McNally road atlas for years. It's OK but not great. I just bought a National Geographic North America Road Atlas at REI. It wasn't cheap, but I used my dividend to buy it. It has very good contrast colors and looks like it will be a good paper map backup, but I haven't used it yet.

I use a smart phone app called Copilot on my iPhone 6+ as a backup to the Kenwood/Garmin. It is about $20 from App Store and I think they also sell a Android version. I have all of USA, Canada and Mexico on the phone. It does not require cell coverage and just uses the GPS in your phone. I've used it in the far corners of Alaska and it works great. The nicest feature is it always gives you a primary and two alternate routes to choose from. I first discovered it after reading about it in Motorhome magazine several years ago. In my view it is a great nav app. It also recalculated the route nearly instantly if you get off course. This is an important feature in unfamiliar metro areas.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post
Protag-

Does the SD card not work for map updates by design? I haven't been able to do updates by SD card, either, and am going to have to pull the unit from the dash to get to the USB in the back (which has the iPod cable connected to it in the glove box).

Do you know a link on the Kenwood site to get the map and firmware updates for the DNX?

I've updated firmware and maps in mine (DNX890HD).
For the firmware get it here:
http://www2.jvckenwood.com/cs/ce/
For the map upgrade go here:
https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/s...playDeviceList

I upgraded the firmware using an SD card, but first it has to be inserted into the slot behind the raised display to identify the unit, and it places some data on the card. Then you transfer the card to your laptop or PC and use it to download the new firmware. Then return it to the slot in the Kenwood.
As for the map upgrade, it's similar with one big exception: the new map never gets loaded to the unit's hard drive; it remains on the SD card, which you must leave in the slot in the Kenwood! I did confirm with Kenwood support that this is intended. So if you remove the card, it reverts back to the original map.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
Parking Brake- Must be on to update

On our 2016 the parking brake must be on to update the radio. I guess Kenwood thought this a wise safety item?
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote