Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Kenwood DNX890HD GPS issue - repair or replace?

My Kenwood DNX890HD has started giving errors when I use the GPS. It runs for maybe 5 minutes and then the map disappears to be replaced by a stream of "GIR LOW MEM" messages on the map display. I have reset the device, reloaded the maps, etc, but the problem keeps recurring.

I contacted Kenwood Service and it seems it’s an internal memory issue that requires sending it in for evaluation and repair. To me, “evaluation” equals $$$, so since I never really liked the unit, I was thinking of replacing it with something else, something with a better user interface. Any suggestions? I do want to keep Satellite Radio though.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	285171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	285172  

UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
When I updated the map on my Kenwood/Garmin last year the unit told me it didn't have enough memory to load the map. I have the older DNX7190HD unit that has an SD memory card slot behind the display. My map data now runs from the SD card. It took three calls to Kenwood Customer Service to get the right answer. The first two tech gave me the wrong information. The third one had it right. All I had to do was get the map update on the SD card via the Garmin web site and their update software. Then I just turned on the unit with SD card installed and it used map on SD card. Don't know if this would work for you but I'd call Kenwood again and see if someone else can give you a better answer. I recall the map upgrade was about $60 from Garmin.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would call Garmin. They are very good with customer service and since the unit is using their data they should be helpful.

If you consider replacing the unit call Crutchfield. Again great customer service. Unfortunately I think Kenwood is the only 2 deck GPS that used Garmin data, Kenwood does offer several models with a wide range of options.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I would call Garmin. They are very good with customer service and since the unit is using their data they should be helpful.

If you consider replacing the unit call Crutchfield. Again great customer service. Unfortunately I think Kenwood is the only 2 deck GPS that used Garmin data, Kenwood does offer several models with a wide range of options.
You are correct - I misspoke on contacting Kenwood. When I contacted them by email I got this reply referring me to Garmin AOEM support. It was three Garmin techs that I talked with to get final answer.
----------------------------
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. We value you as a Kenwood customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I understand you are inquiring about the DNX7190HD. For assistance with this issue, please call the Garmin AOEM Department at (855) 607-2536.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know at customercare@ccc.kenwoodusa.comor by phone at 1-800-536-9663. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 9AM to 9PM, Saturday 9AM to 6PM or Sunday 10AM to 5PM.

Janet
Product Support Representative
------------------------
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
When I updated the map on my Kenwood/Garmin last year the unit told me it didn't have enough memory to load the map. I have the older DNX7190HD unit that has an SD memory card slot behind the display. My map data now runs from the SD card. It took three calls to Kenwood Customer Service to get the right answer. The first two tech gave me the wrong information. The third one had it right. All I had to do was get the map update on the SD card via the Garmin web site and their update software. Then I just turned on the unit with SD card installed and it used map on SD card. Don't know if this would work for you but I'd call Kenwood again and see if someone else can give you a better answer. I recall the map upgrade was about $60 from Garmin.
Yes, I had previously figured out how to upgrade the maps and was running with new maps on an SD card in the rear slot. So I removed it and restarted GPS and it correctly displayed the original 2013 map on its internal memory, but after 5 minutes it was back to the same issue.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You are correct - I misspoke on contacting Kenwood. When I contacted them by email I got this reply referring me to Garmin AOEM support. It was three Garmin techs that I talked with to get final answer.
----------------------------
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. We value you as a Kenwood customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I understand you are inquiring about the DNX7190HD. For assistance with this issue, please call the Garmin AOEM Department at (855) 607-2536.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know at customercare@ccc.kenwoodusa.comor by phone at 1-800-536-9663. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 9AM to 9PM, Saturday 9AM to 6PM or Sunday 10AM to 5PM.

Janet
Product Support Representative
------------------------
I was under the false impression the navigation unit was a separate Garmin module attached to the back of the Kenwood, so I initially emailed Garmin. Their response was:

"I'm sorry to hear this is happening with your Kenwood system. Unfortunately, this indicates a memory issue with the system. This is something that will need to be serviced by Kenwood."

So I then emailed Kenwood and their response was:

"I understand you are inquiring about the DNX890HD. You can enter the menu and verify the maps are selected. Simply select NAV as your source, select SETTINGS, MAP & VEHICLE, MY MAPS, and verify OEM maps are checked. If the issue continues, unfortunately it will require service. You may ship the unit to the address below for an evaluation and repair."

I'm not keen to have to remove the unit and be without it for probably quite some time at this time of the season, and that's why I'm thinking to ditch it entirely and go with something that would be my choice. But I will give Kenwood and Garmin a second chance and call them both. Don't hold out much hope though.

Contacting Crutchfield sounds like a good idea for a replacement.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
By the way, on researching optional in-dash navigation receivers, I've seen many references to "double din". What does that mean? Twice the racket?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think you might have already answered your own question.
Go on down to a local car stereo store and get an Alpine or Pioneer equivalent unit.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Kenwood has had this problem across a number of their higher end, multi-function units the last few years. It seems to have started with software release 1.3 and release 1.5 (and higher) resolved it for many, but not all, units. The unit (without labor, etc.) runs about $1,100 so it might be worth your sending it in for evaluation despite the inconvenience. You might even get a new unit as a replacement :-)

I just spent quite some time evaluating equivalent replacement units with matching features and discovered Pioneer was the only competitive peer. I thought the Pioneer user interface was easier to navigate, but that is a subjective judgement.

Double DIN identifies the in-dash housing size.

If you abandon the Kenwood, you can choose a mid-range feature set replacement unit without NAV for $300-400 less. The newer units let you use your cell phone and either the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay app to mirror your phone's NAV screen and audio to the stereo speakers and screen. Of course, traveling in areas of low to no cell coverage limits this functionality. Another approach is to purchase a standalone GPS system and acquiring a more limited set of functions from your stereo head unit.

If you have steering wheel controls, changing units might also require an interfacing cable set to retain this functionality:
https://www.lifewire.com/steering-wh...plained-534580

The dollars to change add up quickly.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Pioneer user interface may very well be a little more user friendly.
I don't have anything to compare with.
I do know that Alpine's user interface is much better than Kenwood's user interface.
Alpine's maps are all outdated and a map upgrade is expensive.
Maybe newer units come with map upgrades?
Back in the day, Alpine units had a hotter, cleaner output- better amp section- and lasted longer. That may no longer be the case.
At any rate, there are really only 2 competitors, especially if you want Apple CarPlay...
I have basically reverted to using maps on my iPhone and an actual Rand McNally road atlas and a compass...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
My friends are having issues with the radio/gps unit in their 2015. Not sure the model number of their unit but it is a later version than the one in my 2014. The dealer just told them they had a newer version on order as their's was no longer available. Anyone have an idea on what they might wind up with?
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Maybe the new Fusion?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Maybe the new Fusion?
I would assume they mean an upgrade within the Kenwood line, not changing to the Fusion which is wired differently. Maybe the new Excelon 893S?

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx893s/
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
oklahoma city , Oklahoma
Did you fix it?

If u didn't fix.it.and still have the unit, i.would be interested.in buying it. Got one that needs a daughter board just gotta make sure models use same one
Rhunt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhunt1234 View Post
If u didn't fix.it.and still have the unit, i.would be interested.in buying it. Got one that needs a daughter board just gotta make sure models use same one
Long story, but the short answer is I decided to drive to the Kenwood Service Center some 120 miles away in Phoenix, fiddling with the unit while I was driving; and along the way the problem mysteriously disappeared. So I turned around and went back home!
Since then I’ve sold my Interstate and moved on!
Thanks for asking anyway.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
My Kenwood failed the same way years ago. Sent it to one of there Service Centers for evaluation. $150. Reply was that it needed some parts replaced. Cost: $450 ($150 applied toward that figure)
Not liking the unit even when it did work, I took the $150 hit and bought a Bluapunkt unit from Crutchfield. The only glitch was that the steering wheel buttons would not work because there was no Blaupunkt Can Bus adapter made for the Sprinter at that time. Doesn't matter. The Blaupunkt doesn't come with a lot of bells and whistles like the Kenwood, but it was a lot easier to use as far as Bluetooth connectivity with our devices, and the navigation has never missed a beat. None of the adapters that came with the Blaupunkt worked with the existing wiring, so hookup was difficult to figure out. I left the original connectors intact and just spliced into the wires in case I have to buy another unit in the future and it will be a direct plug and play (yeah, right!)