Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Kenwood DNN992 Setup Issues

Greetings all-

We are getting ready for our maiden voyage (NH to Florida Keys) and I've just pulled the RV out of offsite storage. This has given me the first chance to setup the Kenwood electronics. Bluetooth to iPhones - no problems. Now, trying to setup through the iPhone hotspot has been really frustrating: I can see the iPhone hotspot, but I cannot figure out how to enter in the required username and password. No keyboard shows up on touch to enter text. Can anybody give me some pointers?

Thanks,
-Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Looking at the Kenwood DNN992 manual online:

You DON’T want to use what they call Wi-Fi hotspot (Page 34) since this is when the Kenwood itself is connected to something like a Wi-Fi on a campground, and then you can use bluetooth to send the signal to various devices like iPhone, iPad, etc.

What you should use is what they call Wi-Fi Access Point (Page 32) where you can connect to the internet using the tethering function of a smartphone, or (for example) a Mi-Fi from Verizon.

Try the instructions on Page 32.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
It turns out that the keyboard does not present itself for text entry if the parking brake is not engaged - a nice undocumented feature that necessitated a call to Kenwood support to resolve.

While driving south through the nasty NE snowstorm we lost the trailer hitch cover somewhere in Massachusetts. I suspect a surge of snowy slush & ice while changing lanes. How is was it attached? Hadn't had a chance to look at it yet!

- Robert
Ynefel is offline   Reply With Quote