Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
After seeing a pair of Instagram full-timers choose, and use, and speak favorably of, the "Intex Explorer K2 Kayak - 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump - 10.25ft", I decided to order it.

If you look at the reviews on Amazon, it's rated eye-poppingly high despite being the cheapest inflatable that I've ever seen.

Long-timers on this forum might remember that I'm one of the people (Protag was another) who paid 5 to 6 times as much money for a Sea Eagle inflatable, only to have the danged thing succumb to dry rot within just a few years, despite being properly maintained and stored indoors.

Well, if the inflatables are that readily degradable, it makes sense to go low-end, IMO. Either that, or VERY high end (which is what Protag did). But I don't do enough kayaking to justify high-end, so this cheapie will become my experiment. With tax, it was $75 - if I even use it just this one upcoming summer before it gets torn and/or stolen off our hitch carrier, then I will consider that I got my money's worth.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
InterBlog - Please let us know how it works out. I am still searching for a solution.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #23
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Not an Interstate owner, but we also have a truck camper to compliment the Airstream... Our solution was to buy a needed Aluma utility trailer, then add Yakima bars to transport canoes and kayaks. When camping with the TC, the trailer can haul bulky stuff that won't fit in the truck or camper. We additionally use the trailer for hauling yard debris, etc..
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ancillary issue:

Those of you who have kayaks, either full sized hard-bodied or inflatable, does anyone recommend a particular brand of inflatable PFD?

I can't see going with conventional life jacket style PFDs - they'd have to be CO2 cartridge PFDs due to the space limitations in the Interstate. Only our dog has a conventional bulky PFD because she can't pull a rip cord.

I have an older inflatable but the plastic gizmo that connects the CO2 cartridge to the vest was constructed with a finite lifespan and designed to fail past a certain point, to require one to replace the cartridge with a fresh one. What I'm finding is that the cartridge itself is still manufactured, but I have not yet found a replacement plastic gizmo that makes it work in my particular vest. Which means it may be obsolete by this time. Which would mean my NEXT vest better not have that kind of built-in obsolescence.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I answered my own question on the ancillary question. West Marine has a 40% off sale on all of their West Marine-branded PFDs. That reduced the price of their lowest-end inflatable to $66. Sold. Sale ends today, if anyone is interested.

I actually went to a customer service rep and asked about the issue of what I called the "gizmo" above - the device (properly called a bobbin) that mates the CO2 cylinder to the PFD. I explained that my previous brand seems to have been discontinued, such that I'm left with a perfectly good PFD and a perfectly good gas cylinder but no way to mate them together. They were familiar with the issue and stated that West Marine hasn't changed its attachment design in many years and they didn't know of any plans to do so.

I trust West Marine's merchandise as much as I trust anyone else's (some of our lithium battery retrofit electrical components came from there), so I decided I'd get a pair of their self-branded PFDs, and come what may.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting and circling back around to this topic of kayak management, having chosen a low-end inflatable kayak model, I finished its roof carrier yesterday. Blog post with sourcing and instructions here, and here's what it looks like, tucked under (and strapped to) the leading edge of the solar panel array (there are two other buckle straps that also hold it to the side bars of the roof rack):

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here is another kayak option that I don't believe has ever been mentioned on this forum. It wouldn't work for me, as the traditional kayaks are not designed to carry dogs (our water-eschewing dog has actually come to be receptive to our new inflatable). However this one is interesting because it could easily be accommodated on pretty much any hitch carrier, and maybe even on the roof with the right prep.

The Pakayak on Kickstarter, and
on YouTube.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
InterBlog - Please let us know how it works out. I am still searching for a solution.
BTW, I have been very pleased with this low-end thing. We used it on our recent trip. It got scraped across gravel as it bottomed out near shore. It got stabbed by jagged pieces of deadwood - all the normal usage conditions, and it did not develop any leaks. It got left outside for more than 3 weeks, turned upside down in the woods just above the lakeshore, to prevent it from filling with rainwater. It's clearly for calm-water use only, but it works.

One caveat is that we didn't put two people plus a dog in it at a time. We could have, but with it being lighter gauge, and with my husband not being a morning person (morning is when the lake is most calm and when I wanted to go out), we just did not get around to that - and I wasn't anxious to try.

It is MUCH more stable than the comparable Sea Eagle - I really like that aspect. Correspondingly, it has a lower center of gravity and sits lower in the water, which is why I think it might sag a bit with two adults in it. Might not be a problem, though. We'll try a 2-person paddling at a later time at a less remote destination.

The low-in-the-water characteristic was really a good thing for our dog. There was none of that crazy tippy feeling that will inspire most dogs to want to get out of the thing ASAP.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
InterBlog,
Im cracking up! Your dog looks so not impressed! heeheee
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL her feelings were still a bit mixed when that was taken, but at least she had gotten over the anxiety. Her powers of association are very good and when she learned that there is often a hike at the end of the sail, she really started warming up to it.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
She later got dejected when LB_3 departed without her:

Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *do* decide to go the trailer route .... get one that holds more than two boats. They tend to multiply ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The OP's original question on this thread was how to haul two kayaks on a Class B.

One of the suggestions was to consider inflatables.

Sea Eagle produced a five-minute video promoting the exact model of their product which I previously owned (the 330), and which I lost to dry rot (before I got the yellow Intex cheapie referenced earlier in this thread).

This video is interesting because, instead of using an idealized and misleading marketing strategy, it uses a real person who quickly and inadvertently reveals the state of inflatable kayak engineering right now - i.e., the fact that it is still in its infancy. The owner is a first-time boat owner, extolling the virtues of the 330. She thinks that the 330 is the cat's meow, but that's partly because she doesn't know any better. Look at how tippy it is in this video (by virtue of its inexplicably high center of gravity) - one can tell by the way its constructed that this lady is going to be face-planting in the water on a regular basis. A lot of the time as she's paddling, she's not even perpendicular to the water surface. Look at how badly it tracks. It's sprawling all over the place like a dirty shirt, with inadequate skegs and a too-high profile that catches the wind and gets pushed around like a bobbing wine cork.

She is, of course, correct about some of the virtues of having an inflatable: easily stored, easily carried, quick to deploy, manageable by one person, lower price point, etc. The only thing missing is the engineering needed for reasonable on-water handling to be achievable. I'm in the market to upgrade my yellow cheapie to something of greater durability, but I have yet to see any inflatable manufacturer overcome these obvious big limitations.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not an inflatanble, but still eminently packable in a Class B— and in my opinion superior to inflatables— is the Oru Kayak (https://www.orukayak.com/). I used to have one and loved it, but had to get rid of it when extenuating circumstances forced me to give up flat-water kayaking as a hobby.

Another potentially interesting option is the Pakayak (https://pakayak.com/), but they're only in the pre-order stage of marketing.

In my amateur-kayaker opinion, inflatable kayaks aren't really kayaks at all; they're inflatable canoes that you propel using kayak paddles. The entry-level Sea Eagle models are worthless, but their Fast-Track and Explorer models are both excellent (and stable) inflatable kayak/canoes.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I looked at the Oru in a brick-and-mortar store and it didn't appeal to me (REI carries it in-store). I'm not sure how those seams are going to sustain. Plus it's not really a two-person-plus-one-dog option. That's the real reason I'm considering upgrading the Intex cheapie I have now. The Intex can take one of us and the dog, but I don't think I'd trust it to take all of us at once. It's not that robust.

The mid-priced Aquaglide Chelan... I'm considering it, subject to additional input data on the quality.

West Marine's policy is that if you order off the internet and choose ship-to-store delivery method, they don't ring your credit card until you physically get there to collect your purchase. You can, at that point, decline to purchase if you wish. Not an ideal method for them as they are then stuck with shipping back an open box at their cost, but if they refuse to keep inventory such that customers can view the quality, there's not much choice of procedure. And I buy enough other stuff from West Marine that it probably works out OK for them in the end from a financial standpoint.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm still in head-scratching mode about the kayak question. This year, we actually brought our el cheapo inflatable back with us to Canada, but ended up sharing resources with our neighbors instead. They have a larger number of assets on their off-grid property, including two kayaks which we borrowed rather than using our own.

Our dog has no preference for solid vs. inflatable. She whines equally in both. She started off with LB_3 but we had to transfer her to my boat to reduce her volume of complaining.

I have a preference for the solid, but I still can't see it being worth the changes we'd have to make in order to transport them long distances.

Anyway, for our Canada property, we have this logistic covered as we can continue to borrow these two. Everywhere else, including lakes in Texas, I'm not sure what I'd like to get. There are new models coming out all the time - I saw a new one in Cabela's just last week. Interesting designs. Improved options (especially for fishing purposes).

For fleeting intervals on every camping trip, there are moments that are truly extraordinary. This year, a few of those moments took place during our borrowed kayak outing. An unusual frontal boundary passed over the area and it was perfectly timed to the sunset, just on that one edge of Cape Breton Island. As the front met the cold Atlantic air, it made for spectacular skies and spooky light patterns. Here are a couple of pics, taken with just an iPhone.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sideways thread question:

Does anyone have a particular brand of hard-bodied kayak that they really like, and if so, for what reasons? And a preferred length given that they tend to be from 10' to 14'?

I'm humming and hawing about maybe picking up a conventional kayak for taking on specific local trips. Alligators, baby. In benign Canadian waters, I have no issue with the inflatable. In Deep South locations where I know gators are present, including LARGE gators, I'd feel better in a solid, sturdy craft. In the past, I've had them corkscrew under a rental canoe, for instance. It's not a good feeling even if they are smaller.

Given our Interstate configuration, we can transport up to a 13 foot kayak easily just by loading it inside (we have an open aisle all the way to the back doors), no rack required. Maybe we could even squeeze in a 14-footer. It'd be a royal pain to have it blocking the floor, but it could be done for short trips.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #38
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Take a look at used Folboats. I had Folboats for years. They were built in Charleston, SC, and the company had been around since 1933 (I was 2 years old), but shut down in 2016. I remember seeing their ads in magazines like Popular Mechanics as a child. There should be used Folboats on the market.

Modern Folboats have aluminum frames and robust skins. I never worried about rocks and the skins looked fine after years of use. I have been in some serious rough water and the boats are really seaworthy.

My first Folboat was a 2-place that I bought thinking my wife would participate. No such luck! I had a single-place kit for it, but there was too much above water and I fought winds constantly when alone. That boat would be perfect for two plus a dog.

I sold that boat and bought an "Aleut" 11' single place. It was perfect for me and packed into two airline-legal bags. I could set up the Aleut in about 15 minutes and pack it away in about 20 minutes. A lot of the time, when travelling, I just folded the skin and packed the structure in about 10 minutes.

I sold the Aleut when I turned 80. It had become too hard for me to get in and, especially, out. In warm water, I would have to roll the boat over to get out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I just *love* decapitating myself in photos. My Dad is the only one who gets the head-still-on pics.

I went with a Perception Tribe 11.5, which is a sit-on kayak (currently on sale for $519 at REI).

There are pros and cons to each (sit on vs. sit in). I'm discontinuing the practice of putting our dog into single-person non-motorized watercraft in areas where 800 to 1,000 pound alligators are continually present; dog is going to have to kayak in Canada only. Therefore, the pros of the sit-on variety took precedence, namely the facts that they can't be swamped, are almost impossible to capsize, and were designed for fishing.

My Sienna minivan is currently in 3-seat configuration (one middle seat removed and rear seats stowed), which means this slides easily inside, with no roof mount needed. Bonus there.

It'll be interesting to see how it sits on the interior floor of the Interstate, which is back in storage right now, so I can't post a pic of that yet.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Nucanoe Frontier Tandem Kayak with 360 Mesh Seats

We now have two of these so we can each carry a grand daughter with us to kayak Weeki Wachee River after first seeing the mermaids in the associated springs.

Yakima makes a simple pair of cross beams to roof top carry side by side. Combined with a roller that opens like a drawer and a wheel caddy that fits into a rear socket on the kayak, these are easy to load.

With Yak-Tracks, I can remove the forward seat and replace it with a standup casting bar, battery box and fish finder. The Yak-Tracks also make mounting GoPro cameras on a dedicated pole very easy.

The seats are easy to remove but bulky to stow. Once our new 2019 Classic 33 comes in, we may replace our tow vehicle with a Ford F-150 Crew Cab for more "wet stow" than our Expedition now provides.

With all the additional stowage inside the Classic 33, we no longer need "dry cargo space" provided by the Expedition. Airstream calls it a "cedar lined closet" but I call it a "gear locker" that just happens to smell like cedar.

Remember fellow Paddling Airstreamers, you don't stop paddling because you get old, but you WILL GET OLD if you stop paddling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nucanoe Frontier.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	329600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nucanoe Frontier2.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	329601  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Bass Pro.JPG