Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Getting ready for Cajun Crawl

Spent the day making the kind of small changes that make living easier. Two days until we leave for two weeks in the AI.

I added two towel bars on the wood wall of the bathroom, using chrome drawer pulls with 1.2" spacers added to the legs to make a bigger slot for the towels. I drilled two holes in stainless washers, drilled a 3/8" divot in the wall for clearance for the screw heads at the end of the legs, and mounted the bars with stainless screws. I had done the same for my former AI and the extra towel bars are welcome and not in the way.

I moved both TVs as close to the wall as possible. I gained well over an inch on the rear TV and about 1/2" on the front TV. Every little bit helps. I adjusted tension on all of the TV arms for easier movement. I drilled the locking hole for the rear TV larger because it would not lock in place as delivered.

I designed a storage mount for the cutting board that replaced the original table. I had cut a flat on one side of the table to make it easier to slide by and also to allow the wardrobe door to open wide enough to allow the drawers to slide out. The board is held in place when under way by a rubber strap with a hook. The original AI table is totally impossible up front in a Gran Tour and I had removed the rear mount so that I could put a rug in that area.

More anti-skid shelf lining in drawers and shelves. More Command hooks. Inventory my on-board tools.

Doesn't sound like much, but it was about 6 hours of work.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Comparison of Different Upfitters

Hi, did you consider any other brands beside Airstream, like Midwest Automotive Designs.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #43
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Hi, did you consider any other brands beside Airstream, like Midwest Automotive Designs.
I'm a 20-year Airstream club member, and my friends are largely in my local club. I would not change brands for that reason. Both my wife and myself are past Presidents of our unit. This is my 5th Airstream.

I prowled all the brands showing at the RV show and I could not find any that I would like better than my GT. I found the workmanship and materials in a lot of them very suspect. All of them had some good ideas, but nothing that would sway me.

If you have been following this forum, you will have noticed that, after 35 years as a designer, I modify everything I lay hands on. My GT will soon sprout twin beds. My twin bed mod is better than the factory because I retain the invaluable under floor trunk in the rear that is lost on factory twins.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #44
Contributing Member

Ghostly voice

Just got back from 2 weeks on a caravan to state parks in Texas and Louisiana.

In the small hours of the first night out, the "ghostly voice" was back. We were awakened by something like "Satellite contact lost" at full volume. Next night, no voice. Next night, three times. I went over and over the Fusion settings with no success.

Next night, the voice again. I finally turned off the GPS in the Fusion off and there were no more night voices.

I do not use the Fusion for navigation anyway. With photo gray glasses, the instrument pane and the Fusion are way too far down and too dark. The Fusion tends to have a lot of reflections. I use a trucker's GPS on the dash top with speed displayed. That is my speedometer and navigation and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to see. The Fusion is a music player and that is all. Wish I had a heads-up display like on my Genesis.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
Contributing Member

The other thing drilled into my hard head on the 2-week trip is that last night is the last time I sleep on the couch. I start my second twin-bed mod today. Having done it once, this time I am smarter and it will be fast and easy.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #46
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Looking forward to the conversion photos and write up.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #47
Contributing Member

Started this afternoon.

As of 6 PM, this evening, I have all of the rear seating removed except the couch frame. All of the woodwork except the bulkhead under the couch is free.

Photos were taken earlier in the day.

I'm stiff and sore from standing on my head to get the couch seat and back bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_170630.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	337257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_170651.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	337258  

Name:	20190403_191203.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	337259  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
My fusion has spoken in the middle of the night and even has just come on by itself. Scares the heck out of you. I also use another "back-up GPS" because I've had the fusion suddenly get stuck in a loop trying to reboot in the middle of a trip. It also sometimes wants to make your trip significantly longer...not sure what it's trying to avoid, but my phone often gives me the best route.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #49
Contributing Member

Twin mod progress

I pretty much finished the woodwork today and installed the one bed that is finished.

I still have to drill the floor for the drains for the water heater since I moved it much closer to the wall. I also need to finish shortening the water heater exhaust by cutting off the excess with my Dremel tool. Tomorrow should pretty much finish the twin mod.

I ordered mattresses Wednesday with a ten day estimated delivery. All the bed linens from the 2014 will fit. I just need to cut down and edge a queen size spread into 2 twin sizes since I left the old bedspread in the 2014.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #50
Contributing Member

Twin conversion is finished except for a few minor items. I still haven't finished installing the water heater drains.

FedEx email today ... mattresses have been shipped and will arrive Wednesday.

I want to get an alignment and have the crosswind assist installed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #51
Contributing Member

The USB chargers that Airstream installs must be really cheap trash. Of the three chargers in my new GT, two overheated and failed overnight, while charging my Samsung Galaxy S9 Note. They are not even fast chargers.

The third got warm to the touch, so I quit using it. It managed to stay alive overnight, charging my wife's small phone.

I scrapped all three chargers and installed marine fast chargers in all locations with switches so that there is no power draw when not in use.

I had to use my Dremel to round out the holes in the mounting plates to accept the new chargers.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #52

Orlando , Florida
Which one did you go with? I like the idea of installing a switch to completely turn them off.

Photos coming?
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #53
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Which one did you go with? I like the idea of installing a switch to completely turn them off.
I installed one charger with a voltage readout that I had laying around in the shop. I got the URL for that one a long time ago on this site. I happened to have a switch laying around, also.

For the other two. I ordered two of these. They have a nice little separate switch and no voltage readout. Otherwise, seem to be the same fast chargers.

I installed my little PC today on the wall above the front TV. I like the desk in the GT model where I can spin the driver's seat and use the TV as a computer display.

On our Louisiana trip, I found that the HDMI cable to the front TV from the DVD player had been ruined on the DVD player end. The connector on the DVD player end had been totally pulled off the cable. I was not about to let the dealer's monkeys tear into my GT to replace the cable, so I removed the old cable and strung a new one. Took a couple of hours to do so. I installed a switch so that I can choose between the computer and the DVD player.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #54
Contributing Member

Airstream uses a short HDMI cable to connect the DVD player and the HDMI switch. For some reason, they selected an unusually stiff cable for this use.

It was impossible to keep both ends of the HDMI cable squarely plugged into one or the other unit. The cable was simply too stiff and one end or the other would try to pull out.

I moved the DVD player forward in the box so that there was some open surface behind it. I was able to install a plastic cable clamp there to keep the cable squarely plugged into the DVD player. Once that end was under control, I was able to securely plug the other end of the cable into the switch by choosing the one of the 4 inputs that put the least strain on the cable.

I now have the HDMI cable from the switch to the front TV replaced and tested. It took a couple of hours, but I prefer my time to letting some unknown tech hammer away on it.

Mattresses for my new twins come tomorrow.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #55
Contributing Member

Mattresses came today

FedEx brought two boxes to the door about noon. I hustled them out to the storage lot to install them.

They were compressed tightly with clear plastic. A little careful cutting of tape and they expanded with a loud hiss.

They were advertised at 8" thick, but they are more like 10". Extremely well made. They looked so comfortable that I doused the lights and took a short nap. They are more comfortable than our bed at home.

Bed extensions are turned and mounted as headboards.

I bought the mattresses from Rocky Mountain Mattress. I had bought from them years ago for my Classic 28 and I was real happy with their product then and now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First twin.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	338434   Click image for larger version

Name:	The twins.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	338435  

WBCCI #9632
Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Like those beds! We had a lot of inspiration from you and wachuko, but back and shoulder surgery kinda pushed us in another direction. We’ve been leaning in the twin direction for some time now....got tired of doing a reverse inchworm maneuver to get up at night. Looking good!
Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #57

Orlando , Florida
That came out great!

And I must say, twin bed setup is the most comfortable for being able to get up easy and not disturb the other person. Plus it leaves the center open asl well all the way back.

Many things we are learning and reconsidering as we use ours and think ahead 10-15 years...

Thank you John for sharing what you are doing. Nicely done, nicely done!
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #58
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
That came out great!

And I must say, twin bed setup is the most comfortable for being able to get up easy and not disturb the other person. Plus it leaves the center open aisle well all the way back.
Thanks.

The tankless water heater in the Lounge is installed way in the middle of the coach in order to leave room for the couch legs. In the twin, it is 9" closer to the side wall. I modified the exhaust pipe and moved the WH closer to the wall. That left just enough room for an aisle down the center. I built up the additional floor with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, topped by some vinyl laminate I had in the shop. My aisle only goes an additional 18" past the bulkhead, which makes it easier to make up the beds, although headroom is limited. The vinyl laminate doesn't match, but there will always be a rug between the beds.

The heads of the beds are cantilevered, which leaves plenty of storage room underneath. The wall corners of the bed heads are resting on shortened stands that supported the bed extensions.

There is a removable padded surface between the bed heads with one of the cupholders installed.

If you look carefully, you can just barely see the pass through door at the end of the aisle. It is off center, just like in the Lounge because I had to work with what I had. I was able to salvage just enough laminated stock to build this aisle extension. I haven't been able to determine a matching laminate.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #59
Contributing Member

I removed the fold-down counter extension today. It is definitely not needed in the GT with the extended counter and it simply got in the way when making the CS bed. That stupid thing must weigh 10#, at least.

As an early aircraft designer said "Simplify and add lightness."

When I picked up the GT, I was told that the dealer had lost one key. They wanted me to bring it to their lot for several days while they got a new key. That didn't sit well with me, so I suggested that I would take it to the dealer and bring them the bill.

Mercedes will not even order a key without registration in hand. I made the 50 mile round trip to Mercedes today to order a key. Traffic was terrible. Next Wednesday, I have a 7:30 AM appointment to fit the key to the coach, install crosswind assist, and align the wheels. Another round trip; this one with the AI.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #60
Contributing Member

Small improvement

The tip-out bin in front of the sink was just about useless as delivered. When the bin is retracted, the short back wall is almost horizontal. We stopped using it when we became tired of retrieving items from the waste can underneath.

I fixed that today by pop-riveting a piece of scrap Lexan on the back wall to make it the same height as the front wall. Items should stay in place now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190512_143141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	340544  
WBCCI #9632