Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
Enjoy John. I hope those batteries are in good shape.
I wrote into the contract that the batteries had to be load tested good before I would take possession. They did. I have a set of brand new batteries.

This forum pays off in spades!!

I am happily leading my stuff in the new rig. I really like the GT layout over the Lounge. Lots of space.

First mod is an inside propane switch. Second mod is a switchable light in the bathroom so that we don't have to fool with the touch panels at night.

Four boxes on the front porch this afternoon. Some stuff for now and some for when I do a twin bed conversion later.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Open and close that door screen several times and make sure it works and it adjusted correctly. The first time I went to use mine in Texas, the whole thing fell off...the plastic rollers were broken so the screen could not stay on track. Had to wait to buy new rollers to get it back on...
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Also on mine, a 2018, you cannot close the sliding door with the screen in use or you risk damage. And make sure the retracted screen is not rubbing your leather lined door. It's great to have the screen when it fits right and works.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #24
Contributing Member

Screen looks good. I cycled it a few times this afternoon to keep live oak leaves from blowing into the coach while I repacked it with all the stuff out of my garage.

Blinds look good, although there is a little more slack in the one over the galley than I would prefer.

Dealer lost track of one set of keys for my rig. If they can't find them, I'll have to take it in for two days since Mercedes insists on checking the VIN before issuing keys. This will be a pain on our trip. If the wife and I go different directions, we'll have to leave the key at the office for the other, or else not lock the unit.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
That is awesome and always exciting. Congrats on the new rig and look forward to seeing the modification posts.

Curious on the Airstream DFW (closest to me) did you get a trade in quote from them or was it just the prices on their existing inventory). With the value of these things and the tax hit the dealerships are at an advantage on getting it traded versus selling private party.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #26
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Curious on the Airstream DFW (closest to me) did you get a trade in quote from them or was it just the prices on their existing inventory). With the value of these things and the tax hit the dealerships are at an advantage on getting it traded versus selling private party.
Airstream of DFW offered me $15,000 less for mine on a trade. They had several used that I would have worked with them on. They would not budge on their offer.

I'm reasonably happy with what Camper Clinic gave me (after a lot of dealing). This is the third Airstream I have bought from them.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
It always amazes me how stupid some dealers are. They have to work three times harder for a single sale and then give up three new sales by not being reasonable. If another dealer can do that price, there is no reason a large dealer like DFW can't do the same. Instead, they lost your business (and likely others as well).

It's easier to understand when you have a low volume dealer, but AS of DFW is not a low volume dealer.

Instead, they lost 3 sales to a dealer that made likely as much more profit with a repeat customer on all three than DFW would have made on a single one.

That's what makes it hard to deal with a local dealer. $15k is not pocket change, and why so many will drive thousands of miles to buy an RV if given no other choice.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
Contributing Member

Wonderful Airstream manual

I took possession of my new GT with all interior lights on. It was not until that evening that I turned off the light master, only to find the spotlight on the flip table behind the driver's seat still on.

After some time looking through the Firefly panels and all over the woodwork, I gave up and started in on the manual. Try to find even a mention of that lamp, or even anything about the flip table.

The next morning, I finally discovered that the light is switched on and off by depressing the lens. Not obvious. Left me feeling kind of stupid! Seems that is the sort of thing that should be in a User's Manual.

The good news is that everything, so far, is working flawlessly. First overnight Tuesday at Pedernales Falls State Park. Next trip 2 nights at Bastrop KOA over the weekend.

First mod will be a non-Firefly lamp in the bathroom. I have a touch switch to go on the ceiling. I can get access through the vent above the refrigerator to get wires to the lamp and there is a voltage source in the wardrobe closet. There will be no need to light up the Firefly panel at night to get light in the bathroom.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #29
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
...First mod will be a non-Firefly lamp in the bathroom. I have a touch switch to go on the ceiling. I can get access through the vent above the refrigerator to get wires to the lamp and there is a voltage source in the wardrobe closet. There will be no need to light up the Firefly panel at night to get light in the bathroom.

This is one mod I want to do as well. Even with the outside non-Firefly switch that is available for the light next to the bed, you still have to then use the keypad to turn on the bathroom light... that is a hassle when you are half-asleep trying to turn on the frigging bathroom light...

I want to get the same switch and install it next to the one there, to control the bathroom light. As you are doing, I might just add another light to leave the stuff connected to the Firefly system alone.

Do share photos of your new rig when you get a chance. Even if it looks like other GTs, we still love photos!! Enjoy the next trip!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #30
Contributing Member

First irritant

I spent the afternoon putting in non-skid shelf lining for all of the galley shelves and drawers. Lots of drawers!

First use of the bathroom and found something very irritating. The sink faucet is rotated such that the handle can not be rotated in either direction to get it out of the way. I bumped the water on every time I moved.

Tomorrow, I go out for my first night out in the new GT. I'll spend part of my time rotating that damn faucet.

Minor irritant: it takes forever to get hot water to the galley faucet because it is as far as possible from the tankless water heater. I like the idea posted here recently to put in a solenoid valve to dump water from the hot line into the fresh water tank. That should save a lot of water wasted to the gray tank.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on your 2018 Airsteam globetrotter. Love it ! Which length Did you Purchase a 25 ft or 28 ft. What is the color of your cabinetry? Please include photos. Your wife is going to love it. Can hardly wait to see your renovations.
We love the our 2018 25ft International serenity twin set up also. We also right off to Ultimate Airstream in Oregon for the modifications.They did an awesome job for us. Can highly recommend them.
Your caravan is going to be An awesome experience. Enjoy your new Airsteam GT . Can hardly wait to see your renovation photos. Hope to see you down the road in your new Airsteam dream.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #32
Shayne

2015 30' Classic
spicewood , Texas
Nearby

Enjoyed your blog. Congrats on your new GT.
Sounds like you live pretty close to Spicewood?
I’m pretty new to the Airstream club having bought a 2014 International 30 last year..
look forward to reading about your modifications..
Neighbor in Spicewood
JSBERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #33
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat200 View Post
Congratulations on your 2018 Airsteam globetrotter. Love it !
Nice idea, but wrong Airstream. My new ride is an International Gran Tour (hence, GT), not a Globetrotter.

After three Airstream Trailers over 20 years, I traded for a used Interstate when I turned 85. After of two years loving the Interstate, I upgraded to a new 2018.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #34
Contributing Member

Ducked a wet one

In an earlier post, I mentioned that it was all too easy to bump the water on in the bathroom, just entering or leaving. Well, even though I should have been aware, I brushed my teeth and hit the sack.

Fortunately, my bladder woke me at about 2 am. When I stepped into the bath, I stepped into water. Fortunately, just about a half inch. The faucet was just dribbling.

With no sewer hookup and an overflowing gray tank, I donned my foul weather gear and went out in the rain. It was pitch black and sites in the state park are widely spaced. The gray tank had never been used except for testing the water heater and brushing my teeth, so I didn't worry about contaminating the park. I pulled out about 6 feet of hose and dumped about half of the tank. That macerator sure sounded loud, though the rain should have muffled the noise.!

I now have a wide rubber band holding the handle down to the spout. That band will live there until I can rotate the faucet to a safer orientation.

I dumped by braile. The only light was the red light when the gray valve was open.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
There is a light in the switch compartment unless is has been deleted in the last couple of years. Hopefully you won't find anything wrong that will have to be fixed.
The blind spot sensor went out on our trip last week so it's off to the MB dealer
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #36
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
There is a light in the switch compartment unless is has been deleted in the last couple of years.(
Given that I was illegally dumping gray water (even though it was really just clear water) I didn't want to show any lights. I didn't even like the red light on the gray tank valve showing.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #37
Contributing Member

Bathroom light

With touch pads controlling the bathroom lights in my GT, I wanted at least one light that could be controlled from within the bathroom without lighting up the touch panels in the middle of the night.

I ordered a set of two touch-controlled 12v lights on Amazon. Today, I installed one of the lights. I am very pleased with the results. Touch the metal button to turn the light on and off. Keep finger on the button and the light dims. I dimmed the light to take the one photo below. The light comes back on each time at the previous dim setting.

As I suspected, removing the louvers over my refrigerator not only gave me access to the bathroom shell, it also revealed a pair of hot wires running to the manually controlled light in the wardrobe. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bathroom shell that would pass the butt splices behind the lamp. A few splices and the job was done.

I really like this light. I need to find a home for the second light.

I know the photos are upside down, but it matters very little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_132009.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	335691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_131959.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	335692  

WBCCI #9632
Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #38
Contributing Member

Voice from space

I spent most of the day, yesterday, working in the AI in the storage yard, under a high metal roof. The Fusion was never on. About 2 PM, a ghostly voice loudly said "Satellite contact lost." I jumped about a foot! The same thing happened three more times at odd intervals.

I had shut down the Fusion by holding my finger on the off button for an extended period. I had been told that this would totally shut it down. Apparently, that is not working.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I don't think it ever totally shuts down. I've had mine come on in the middle of the night camping.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #40
Contributing Member

Faucet woes

The bathroom faucet in my new GT stuck out where it was hard to get past and real easy to bump on (as I found out the first night I used the rig.)

Last night, I removed the access panel and rotated the faucet to a better orientation. Trouble is, I can't get the clamp tight enough to prevent it from rotating. There is not clearance to get a screwdriver on one of the clamp screws. The slick fiberglass top of the sink provides little or no resistance to rotation.

I think I will try cutting a rubber gasket to go under the faucet in the hopes of getting some friction. If I can get the faucet stable, I'll seal around the periphery. Between the rubber and the seal, I have hopes that the faucet can stay out of the way.
WBCCI #9632