Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #1

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cool , California
Red face Just ordered 2018 AI Grand Tour

Hello everyone, what a valuable resource having you experienced AI owners helping us newbies (and oldbies). I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere, so I suspect the answer is "None". The question: Is there any external storage on the Grand Tour? Thank you for your support!
Cindyberm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindyberm View Post
Hello everyone, what a valuable resource having you experienced AI owners helping us newbies (and oldbies). I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere, so I suspect the answer is "None". The question: Is there any external storage on the Grand Tour? Thank you for your support!
Welcome.

The answer is none, I'm afraid. If you have a Lounge model, there is great under-floor storage in the rear for leveling blocks, hoses, and the like.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The question: Is there any external storage on the Grand Tour? Thank you for your support!
Adding storage is a perennial problem for Interstate owners. I solved the problem by pulling a Honda Fit hatchback as a toad. That gives me up to 64 cubic feet of storage while in transit— an essential if I ever have to bug out for a hurricane. Besides which, it allows me to evacuate both vehicles from the storm's path with a single driver, also an essential in my case.

Others have used hitch mounted cargo trays or cargo boxes to add external storage. A couple of more ambitious owners have even custom-built storage boxes to their own requirements. Some boxes even have swing-away mounts to provide access to the rear doors. Before I bought the toad, I used a cargo tray. Had I not been planning all along to trade in my non-towable SUV on a toad, I would have bought a cargo box for the added security and weatherproofing it provides. But since it was a temporary measure, I went for a tray because it was cheaper and easy to store in my apartment when not in use.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Some of us add a hitch storage box such as Stowaway II which will give you a few cubic feet of outside storage. I use mine on longer trips and keep my Cord, Surge Protector, Hoses, Camp Chairs and other outdoor gear in it. With a swingaway mount you can open the RH rear door about 50 - 60 degrees and the LH door all the way.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
While the answer is indeed "none", is there something in particular that you're looking to store in your coach? On our recent trip we were gone for 8 days and had plenty of storage space for food, drinking water, outdoor camping gear (stove, cast iron pans, etc), table (6ft folding table!), camp chairs, air mattresses (three!!), all my fishing gear, not to mention all the usual "RV stuff" that we carry like hoses (fresh and black), water filter, extension cord, collapsing ladder, full tool set, air pump(s)....and we had LOTS of room to spare. My point is, unless there is something specific that you're worried about carrying due to its odd size, etc., give the coach a chance. It has a surprising amount of storage space and you may find a hitch carrier or other auxiliary storage (like Protag's car!!! ) aren't needed......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 AM   #6

Cool , California
Thanks to all who answered my question, and especially for the extremely helpful suggestions. FlyFishinRvr, you are right, I will wait and see if I really need something before I go further. My particular item I want to bring is fence panels to give my dog some freedom (and me too). We started 20 years ago on our RV journey and like so many others found we loved the concept but had trouble finding the right combination of trade-offs to make it most satisfying. After many RV's and many dollars spent to learn, we are sure of two things: dragging or driving a big behemoth around is awful, and most of it is poorly made crap! We hope we are solving both those issues well with this Airstream purchase.

As for the fence panels for dogs, they proved to be a wonderful solution for the dogs to be able to go in and out whenever they want (when we leave the door open). Back then we had two big 100-pounders; now we have just one small mini Aussie. The panels are about 30" wide by 40" tall -- that's not exact. They came in groups of 8 with one panel having a gate in it. (I bought 2 sets.) They are powder coated, very well made, and after using them for 10 years or so for all sorts of things around the yard and in RV's, they are in excellent shape. They connect to each other with a rod going through hinges on each side, but I have discovered a quicker, easier, better way to connect them if anyone is interested. Anyway, they each are about .75" thick, so if I were to velcro the entire bundle together they would be about a foot thick. They could easily store in the back, standing up behind the sofa, and that is where I was thinking of putting them. Since they would be the first thing unpacked and the last thing loaded, it all makes sense. But there are other things you'd rather not carry inside if you can avoid it: mats, rug, hoses, etc. I was thinking just carrying them in a garbage bag (inside) until I come up with something more elegant. I have REALLY enjoyed your posts, especially your 8-day boondock journey. I am in No. Cal too, but not for long. Just sold our house and moving back home, the Pacific Northwest. In fact, we are to pick up our AI in Seattle in September. Have been living here for almost 2 years and are ready to go back to cooler climes, lush forests, lots of water, smaller crowds. You know!!! Thanks again for your replies!

Happy Trails to All!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Dog structures are a candidate for a hitch carrier solution (previous posters have asked about roof storage for the same purpose, but that's really not do-able).

Here is one such adaptation, with its Insta source. This is a large dog kennel rather than a fence, but you get the idea.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I carry a fairly large woven patio mat. It folds and rolls and slips into a tube about 4 1/2 feet long and about 10" or 11" in diameter. I carry it upright against the rearmost pillar, just inside the rear doors. I screwed a Velcro strap to the inner liner near the top of the roll that holds it in place.

On the other side, I put a similar Velcro strap and I store the OEM window covers upright in the same manner. Making use of the vertical space minimizes the impact these two long items occupy.

We carry a small table that rolls up and fits in a tube about 5" in diameter. It is short enough to lay crosswise under the couch, against the bulkhead.

We have two "Pico" folding chairs. These are not lightweight, but they fold very compactly and stack nicely laying flat. In that stack is a folding step with about the same footprint.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:

As for the fence panels for dogs, they proved to be a wonderful solution for the dogs to be able to go in and out whenever they want (when we leave the door open). Back then we had two big 100-pounders; now we have just one small mini Aussie. The panels are about 30" wide by 40" tall -- that's not exact.
I just measured the picnic table that I took on our recent trip. Folded, it's 36" x 30". It fit fine under the rear bench/bed. If you wanted to, I think you could lay the panels under there and they would all fit. When you say you bought 2 sets, do you use both, or just one? I ask because at 3/4" thick per panel, 2 sets might stack too high, but one stack would be OK. This might alleviate having to stand them up between the doors and the bench, which would certainly require some sort of strap to hold them in place so they don't bang against the back doors (or try to bonk you on the head any time you opened the rear doors). There's an amazing amount of room under that bench, so it might be an alternative. As long as you don't set anything on them, they would slide right out for quick setup.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
We have two rather big dogs (60 to 70 pounds). I looked at various fencing but they were all too small and at any rate, too hard to store and carry.

Our solution which worked out by accident has been wonderful. We leave the sliding door open but close the shade. Both of them sit there and enjoy the sound and scents of outside and fall asleep as needed there. They are super happy that way and is highlight of the trip for them. Of course we walk them every day (morning and evening) for exercise.

The dogs were our biggest concern in buying the AI and it has worked out better than anything we could imagine.

Great to hear you coming back to our neck of the woods. We have seen more of Oregon and Washington in 14 months than in the previous 20 years! So many wonderful places within 2-4 hour drive.

So welcome to the club.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Fly The 2018 model lost a significant amount of space in the lower back roadside area as a result of the new propane only instant hot water heater. I was very surprised to see it takes up much more space than the propane/electric units in the 2017 model.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #12

Cool , California
Hi Flyfisher. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments. I think having one of those $100-ish folding platforms might make sense when the time comes. In response to the number of sets I have (2) but now that I only have one small dog, I think 10 or 12 panels would be fine. You can use as many or as few as you like. When I got my baby sulcata tortoise last year I used the panels to set up small outside playpens for him in different grassy areas where I could keep an eye on him so he didn't get carried off by some wild animal.( Now he's already too big for that. They grow very fast! He has a permanent yard now.) Anyway, of course I walk my dog(s) all day long; they love it and so do I. But if your dog needs to go out in the middle of the night, it is much easier to just open the door and let him out for a minute than to leash him up, put on clothes, find a flashlight, etc. When my dogs were old, this was an issue. I imagine if I am boondocking in the middle of nowhere I won't need to worry about fencing or leashes. Does anyone have a comment about dog maintenance in wild areas? Do bears show up? Raccoons? Skunks? Heck, they are all here at my house in Calif. I guess I just answered my own question! Fencing is safest.

Thanks to amirm for the welcome home! I am shooting up Monday to buy a house! Can't wait to breathe that moist Columbia River air! But regarding the dog fence, if your dog can jump a fence, these will never work. Glad everyone is happy with a cool breeze coming through the screen. I think my Beaker would like that as well.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Fly The 2018 model lost a significant amount of space in the lower back roadside area as a result of the new propane only instant hot water heater. I was very surprised to see it takes up much more space than the propane/electric units in the 2017 model.

Well that's a bummer! Did it lose any space between the sofa/bed supports? If so that would reduce the width of items that can be slid in there.....[emoji853]
Old 07-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Can't wait to breathe that moist Columbia River air!
Gotta love humidity! Why breathe your air when you can drink it instead?

But humor, while good for the soul, is not the reason for this post. Scratching the itch of curiosity, when you set up your fence panels, how do you block off the opening under the van to keep the dogs from escaping by crawling under the van and out the other side? The big sliding side door could make that issue somewhat more complicated than the narrow swinging door of a trailer would. Or do you just ring the whole van with fence panels?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
.... Does anyone have a comment about dog maintenance in wild areas? Do bears show up? Raccoons? Skunks? ...
(1) Whatever other engineering measures may be employed, there is no substitute for the administrative measure known as dog training. Our dog is not the boss of us - we are the boss of our dog. If she hasn't been given permission to go outside the Interstate, then she will remain inside the Interstate. Period. There's no debate on this.

(2) On the upper Texas coast, our off-leash dog is trained to walk behind one of the humans. This is necessary to protect her from venomous snakes, which we have in such a super-abundance that encountering one on the path is often inevitable.

(3) Know your area and respond accordingly to its threats. I'm planning a boondocking trip to a remote part of Canada and my neighbors have warned me repeatedly that I'm at risk of losing our dog to the local coyotes, which in that area are wolf hybrids and far more lethal than the smaller, more benign animals we have throughout most of America (they've killed one adult human and have attacked several others, including one tent camper whose skull was gnawed in a National Park campground). One of the protective measures I'm using is a French Bulldog spike collar that I imported from a Bulgarian company called Bestia (I was unable to identify a quality American-made alternative). This is not a true razor-sharp wolf collar such as is used with modern-day livestock-herding dogs (I have to consider the Interstate's upholstery, my clothes, our inflatable kayak, my mosquito screens, etc. etc.). It is more toward the decorative end of things, but still pretty sharp - if bitten down upon, it would hurt like hell. Our dog is large enough so that if she is attacked, the predator(s) will go for the throat rather than the spine, as they would with a toy-breed dog. Our dog is trained not to wander far from me, so I'm hoping that this kind of thing would give me enough time to sink a blade in an attacking animal before irreversible damage is done. The collar is not a guarantee but it's a defensive measure, in other words. It's a partial response to the reality in which we'll find ourselves.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
IB, if this RV blogging gig does not work, how about getting into dog training starting with ours?

We were warned by our breeder that no matter how much we train ours, the call of wild is too strong for them and they will run and potentially never come back. Indeed that is how they act outside. But somehow they have the opposite instinct about other things like that thin screen which they can tear up in an instant but think it as a barrier not to be crossed. They won't even put their paw on it which is remarkable. Outside though, it is a battle to keep them on leash and on trail.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
IB, if this RV blogging gig does not work, how about getting into dog training starting with ours?

We were warned by our breeder that no matter how much we train ours, the call of wild is too strong for them and they will run and potentially never come back. Indeed that is how they act outside. But somehow they have the opposite instinct about other things like that thin screen which they can tear up in an instant but think it as a barrier not to be crossed. They won't even put their paw on it which is remarkable. Outside though, it is a battle to keep them on leash and on trail.
We found our dog on death row at the local County shelter. We picked her solely on the basis of her temperament, so we intentionally avoided the complexities sometimes found in breeds that were created for different purposes. I myself would not want a breed whose inclinations were to act in ways that were not consistent with our lifestyle. There simply would be no point in us having such a creature. We don't need any difficult lawn ornaments (which is the phrase one of my relatives uses to describe his high-strung horses). Our Interstate assumes the role of difficult lawn ornament (or driveway ornament).

I subscribe to the dual philosophies of "dog has gotta have a job" and "dog has to be a full family member". She's so thoroughly integrated into our lives that it would never occur to her to do anything oppositional. She is a bit headstrong when it comes to distractions such as squirrels, but otherwise she's pretty good. She is a certified therapy dog although we've gotten away from institutional volunteering in the past year or two. You can tell from my pics that she follows me around like a groupie, even under the Interstate chassis. That unwavering attunement is what made her a good therapy dog candidate. We have several neighborhood children who seek to spend time with our dog when they have dogs in their own homes which they summarily ignore because they are so unruly and mis-attuned to humans.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Regarding Dogs
InterBlog,
Very enjoyable reading your details regarding dog selection, training, not fighting natural temperament (don't get a herding dog if you don't want to be circled, don't get a terrier if you don't want a digger, etc.), and in particular keeping the dog appropriately stimulated with a job to do.

We (mostly me) were pretty anxious/nervous about camping with our dog. It has turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of camping, both for us and for him. (Lenny is a golden retriever just turned 7.) He went with us on our recent trip to Yellowstone and had a great time. He is not prone to barking, is accustomed to being home alone while we are working and is not destructive.

He was in complete intrigue of the corralled horses we encountered on our evening walks in Cabellas in Sidney NE campground, and in the pasture next to the KOA in Dubois. He wanted to go "check them out" again. In Yellowstone, he was also very interested in the Buffalo that we would be able to see from sitting in the car. His sniffer was so happy.

Overall when we are camped we typically have one of those long walker leashes tethered to the picnic table or a tree. Only real concern is that we don't want him getting in the way inadvertently during outside cooking, or when we have a campfire. This lets us physically restrict the range of his movement.

Another good insight when camping with a dog is to confirm with your vet the dosage of benadryll that you would give if your dog got into something like a beehive or got multiple stings. It is a lot more than you would think. Cheap insurance. Also know that ADVANTIX is the only topical that also provides mosquito protection. Our vet said to not put any DEET /Off spray on the dog ever as it can cause seizures to them.

Back to the Interstate Storage Question
For now, an idea on easy storage for items used outside the camper would be to get a good solid rubbermaid type trash can with lid. Inside of it, you could multiple containers and store hoses, hookup items, dump items, etc. Waterproof with the lid on, easy to move in/out of the unit, and inexpensive.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have numerous Goldens in our therapy group. Most of them make excellent candidates because of their sunny dispositions and low-key approach to life. Goldens can be counted on to smile a lot, which is really good for therapy work. And they can also tolerate huge holiday parades with thousands of screaming people, fire truck sirens, and exploding fireworks, as my dog also can. Because if you're in a group like that, you march a lot, and everyone wants to pet the dogs.

Being part of a dog therapy group exposed me to dog psychology beyond my wildest imagination. I will never forget driving in a group member's huge SUV to Austin with five dogs (in one vehicle!!) to receive a community volunteer award from the Texas House. One of the Goldens was sick that day, and so I had to take charge of a beagle mix who was assigned as a stand-in. The beagle mix's Mom was not part of our entourage and the beagle mix didn't like this scenario one bit. I drove four hundred miles round trip with that portly, nervous creature on my lap, my skinny thighs aching under her weight the entire time. And then when we had our PR photo taken on the steps of the Texas Capitol, the Capitol photographer elicited photogenic perky ears from all five dogs simultaneous by *barking at them*!! It was hilarious.

OK, enough war stories.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #20
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
While the answer is indeed "none", is there something in particular that you're looking to store in your coach? On our recent trip we were gone for 8 days and had plenty of storage space for food, drinking water, outdoor camping gear (stove, cast iron pans, etc), table (6ft folding table!), camp chairs, air mattresses (three!!), all my fishing gear, not to mention all the usual "RV stuff" that we carry like hoses (fresh and black), water filter, extension cord, collapsing ladder, full tool set, air pump(s)....and we had LOTS of room to spare. My point is, unless there is something specific that you're worried about carrying due to its odd size, etc., give the coach a chance. It has a surprising amount of storage space and you may find a hitch carrier or other auxiliary storage (like Protag's car!!! ) aren't needed......

I totally agree. We purchased a Stowaway 2 when we purchased our Interstate and have yet to use it because so far we're been able to fit everything in without it, even on a trip with 8 people and all luggage (admittedly not a camp trip). The Interstate will swallow a lot of gear.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote