Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Jackson Center from the sky

I'm signed up for Alumapalooza at the Airstream Plant in June. The number of rigs for Alumapalooza this year have been severely reduced because of the recent Plant expansion. I took a look with Google Earth to see what the situation looks like.

The field where the rally is held has been reduced quite a bit by the new building and by the wide paving around the building. It looks like there is about 2/3 of the previous space available.

Of interest is the big lot full of Sprinters, ready to be upfitted (photo). The image was made in April, 2016. About 20% of the Sprinters are black. Buried in the crowd are just three cab-chassis, probably destined to be prototypes for the Atlas. I wonder what that field looks like now!

There will be only three Interstates at the rally. We have arranged to get together and compare notes. I'm looking forward to the session with the Airstream folks to feedback some of my gripes and modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JC.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	304700  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
-- snip -- field where the rally is held has been reduced quite a bit by the new building and by the wide paving around the building. It looks like there is about 2/3 of the previous space available. -- snip --.
Interesting question! The picture below is an old one of what is supposed to be typical of past events. Having a hard time understanding why the expansion would have reduced the available area significantly, but much of that problem is ignorance as to the current condition of the physical lot.

The picture posted is of the lots in front of the factory (top middle of this picture) and offers no insight as to the reduction. It appears from this picture that the event was located at the rear and around the support building. Could you expand on your Google Earth observations?
Attached Images

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Contributing Member

The last photo is just the lot full of Sprinters, not the rally grounds.

I have attended 3 Alumapaloozas and one Airstream Homecoming in the field behind the plant. Much of the area in your photo is now occupied by the the Terraport. 'Palooza, in the past, was in the area directly behind the plant. This new photo shows the field where the rally is held; it is obvious that the new plant and the wide paved area have eaten quite a ways into the rally area. Much of the area in the far left of the photo is rough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palooza.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	304704  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
-- snip -- it is obvious that the new plant and the wide paved area have eaten quite a ways into the rally area. -- snip --
Here is another image of the factory. Looks like the lighter shaded roof at the back was added? Appreciate the information. Pat

Edit - looks like the picture posted above is not an older event, but rather a recent Palooza.
Attached Images

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Contributing Member

The images had me fooled because I was looking for the big, white tent that is the center of activities for Alumapalooza. I realize now that the tent had been relocated to the grass area close to the Terraport. It is the bright spot in the image near the closest Terraport circle. That was where the tent was located for the Airstream Homecoming that preceded Alumapalooza that I attended. For the three Alumapaloozas I attended, the tent was centered in the field behind the plant.

We are arriving a day early and I hope to get a parking spot that isn't a mile from the tent.
WBCCI #9632