Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #61

2021 Interstate 24GT
Warren , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by billstrong View Post
The most annoying squeaks and schreeches in my 2021 AI Nineteen come from the TV wall mount. I have not been able to stop the sounds short holding the TV tight against the stops or removing the TV and the wall mount.
The lions share of the noise from the bracket comes from the pivot/release pin. Spray it with Hoppes #9 moly. Haven't heard a peep out of either of my tv brackets since.

Another cacophonous offender is the bathroom door. There are two tiny rubber stoppers on the outside of the door handle near the trim. Pull them out and filp them to the INSIDE holes. No more rattles.

Is there a list compiled somewhere? That would be a good sticky for new Interstate owners...
Kneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel View Post
The lions share of the noise from the bracket comes from the pivot/release pin. Spray it with Hoppes #9 moly. Haven't heard a peep out of either of my tv brackets since.

Another cacophonous offender is the bathroom door. There are two tiny rubber stoppers on the outside of the door handle near the trim. Pull them out and filp them to the INSIDE holes. No more rattles.
Regarding rear tv mounts - I modified mine primarily to reduce bulk and get TV as flush/closer to wall (without buying another mount). The side effect was no rattle and a bit less weight and a few degrees of rotational adjustment. Old separate thread link:

AI MOD Rear TV Mount - Smaller TV, Less bulk & articulation. Enable rotate function

The nylon bumpers reduce vibration and prevent door rattle AND are supposed to be on both sides of the door latch, so that it wont matter which side the door edge contacts the trim reveal.. And it specifically shows both sides have it on the Airstream Parts & Accessories (part# 382055). Stock photos below. BUT most units seem to only have 1 set installed AND Airstream does not even bother to check to make sure it is installed on the correct location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211003-184548_Chrome.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	405432

Name:	Screenshot_20211003-184533_Chrome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	405433
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:28 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
These clear bumpers work well to cure noise on drawers, cabnets, and the bath door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	511eqXInL6L._AC_SS450_.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	405445  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
BILLPGH , MIKE2016 - Try this vent insulator first. It worked enough for me so I did not have to tape shut my vent lid. I needed it anyway coz it gets terribly hot in Las Vegas and SW during summer that I had to cover that opening when not using the vent fan. It's made by Camco, bought from Amazon.

You can also try weather sealing the edges.

Yes, they do make rain shields for the vent fans. I haven't seen a need for it (yet) but they make some nice ones. Plus they stick up quite a bit and would affect my minimum clearance I need to get the AI under the garage door opening.
how did you mount the insulator? the fan on the AI has a net on it and it doesnt look like this thing can go fully in?
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Pittsburgh, PA & New Port Richey, FL , .
Changing out my Continental Tires for Michelin LT 215/85R16s this Friday 10/8/2021 in hopes of less road noise and a softer ride.

Going to Home Depot today to buy several packages of silicon bumpers. I will also flip the bathroom door handle as suggested.

I will post the results.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #66
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2016 View Post
how did you mount the insulator? the fan on the AI has a net on it and it doesnt look like this thing can go fully in?
MIKE2016 - imagine a very light overstuffed 14" square pillow with 1 fuzzy side & 1 refectix on other side. I basically just stuffed it in the opening and very surprised it stays put even driving on some very bad backroads in AZ lately. When I ordered, I thought I had to use some velcro or tape it to prevent from falling. But no need. So removing & installing back is a 5 second job.. It is very thick, thicker than the depth of the fan cavity, so it looks like it's not all the way in. But it is in all the way in. It does not go beyond the vent screen.I did remove the manual black knob for the lid coz it impedes pushing that corner all way in. I only use the FireFly control to open/close lid so knob was never really used..

FYI - mine is the Fantastic fan. Not sure how big difference if yours is the MaxxAir. Stock photo below depicting the depths the enclosures, Fantastic on left, MaxxAir on right. Not identical unit to mine with regards to control dials as mine doesn't have any dials, just 1 lid knob.

Name:	gallery_4850_766_1557985.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	405568
Old 10-06-2021, 01:41 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE2016 - imagine a very light overstuffed 14" square pillow with 1 fuzzy side & 1 refectix on other side. I basically just stuffed it in the opening and very surprised it stays put even driving on some very bad backroads in AZ lately. When I ordered, I thought I had to use some velcro or tape it to prevent from falling. But no need. So removing & installing back is a 5 second job.. It is very thick, thicker than the depth of the fan cavity, so it looks like it's not all the way in. But it is in all the way in. It does not go beyond the vent screen.I did remove the manual black knob for the lid coz it impedes pushing that corner all way in. I only use the FireFly control to open/close lid so knob was never really used..

FYI - mine is the Fantastic fan. Not sure how big difference if yours is the MaxxAir. Stock photo below depicting the depths the enclosures, Fantastic on left, MaxxAir on right. Not identical unit to mine with regards to control dials as mine doesn't have any dials, just 1 lid knob.

Attachment 405568

perfect. I'll order the same one and give it a try. I have the Fantastic fan also.

someone really needs to step up and come up with a more modern approach to RV parts. we are in 2021 and using fans designed in the 90s.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #68
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
someone really needs to step up and come up with a more modern approach to RV parts. we are in 2021 and using fans designed in the 90s.
MIKE2016 - Haha, yes, wouldn't that be nice? I have read in this forum the MaxxAir's have much better choices than our Fantastic's. But I haven't looked into much details on it for now, until my Fantastic needs to be replaced.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #69
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
One thing to keep in mind re: MaxxAir vs. FF. We asked our dealer to replace our FF with a deluxe MaxxAir, but they couldn't do it because we have four solar panels up there, and one of them is so close to the fan that they didn't have room for the MaxxAir with the built-in rain hood. I'm sad, but I wasn't willing to give up or move the solar panel to fit the fan.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Pittsburgh, PA & New Port Richey, FL , .
Picked the RV up today with the new Michelin tires. Definite difference. Reduced road noise and softer ride, just what I was hoping for. The Continentals are for sale for $800. Brand new with less than 1000 miles on them I should be able to get that.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-pgh View Post
Picked the RV up today with the new Michelin tires. Definite difference. Reduced road noise and softer ride, just what I was hoping for. The Continentals are for sale for $800. Brand new with less than 1000 miles on them I should be able to get that.

Yep !

We’ve sold three sets on CL for $125 ea in Bend Oregon over the last few years

We include images of the van, the dash odometer display, and Tires and date code of the tires.

We explain we needed a snowflake rated tire, and that’s why these Continentals are for sale.

The Agilis pricing is $165-$177 ea with Discount Tire incl road hazard
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Yep !

We’ve sold three sets on CL for $125 ea in Bend Oregon over the last few years

We include images of the van, the dash odometer display, and Tires and date code of the tires.

We explain we needed a snowflake rated tire, and that’s why these Continentals are for sale.

The Agilis pricing is $165-$177 ea with Discount Tire incl road hazard

Common size, hopefully easy for you to sell.

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Has anybody taken the wooden galley area apart and resembled with gaskets, caulk, padding, etc. like it should have been? I'm considering pulling my countertop off and resintalling with something in between the wood. Sitting wood on wood like that is pretty stupid for this application.

Just picked a new 24x today and it's unbearable.
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:26 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinshort View Post
Has anybody taken the wooden galley area apart and resembled with gaskets, caulk, padding, etc. like it should have been? I'm considering pulling my countertop off and resintalling with something in between the wood. Sitting wood on wood like that is pretty stupid for this application.

it's driving me nuts too with my 21 24GL. constant squeaking while driving.

the counter top, it's glued on like how it's done at homes, i doubt it can be removed without breaking it. if it can't be removed, then the bottom cabinets can't be removed either.

but i found most of the noise coming from the bathroom section

also the heater grille is prone to make noise. as it's not really designed for a space like that. it's crooked. just tighten it more or put some padding on it.

i also put "little rubber feets" all around on all doors / cabinets.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Quote:

the counter top, it's glued on like how it's done at homes, i doubt it can be removed without breaking it. if it can't be removed, then the bottom cabinets can't be removed either.

but i found most of the noise coming from the bathroom section

also the heater grille is prone to make noise. as it's not really designed for a space like that. it's crooked. just tighten it more or put some padding on it.

i also put "little rubber feets" all around on all doors / cabinets.
I haven't had someone drive me so I could assess while in motion.. but I'm thinking it's the wood being glued to each other like you said. What an absurd method for the "premier" builder in the industry. If it won't come apart I'm going to break it and rebuild it the right way. My 2020 AI had a bad bathroom squeak at that exterior corner but this one seems to be okay.

On the wood, seems like they'd use a composite.. or something between the two pieces of wood. I'm about to learn a lot.
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #76
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinshort View Post

Oh, c'mon! If they did that, they'd have to charge over $200k for it.

Oh wait... they do.

In the immortal words of Emily Litella: "Never-mind!"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:57 AM   #77

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GT
Franklin , Tennessee
Rattles

Purchased new 2021 Interstate GT 8/21. Rattles from day one, back to dealership several times, little improvement. The more miles, the more additional rattles. Wife totally disgusted. " For this much money, there should not be this problem." Have appointment at Jackson Center later in the year to address/correct. Neighbor has 2016 GT purchased used, has 69,000 miles and NO rattles. Was shocked when rode in mine. I too, from day one, cabinet doors opening while turning slowly. Dealership corrected with additional latches. Have called corporate to say poor engineering design (plastic) for premium RV.
QUESTION: has anyone installed a Helwig sway bar on the rear of GT?
Thanks,
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melson View Post
Purchased new 2021 Interstate GT 8/21. Rattles from day one, back to dealership several times, little improvement. The more miles, the more additional rattles. Wife totally disgusted. " For this much money, there should not be this problem." Have appointment at Jackson Center later in the year to address/correct. Neighbor has 2016 GT purchased used, has 69,000 miles and NO rattles. Was shocked when rode in mine. I too, from day one, cabinet doors opening while turning slowly. Dealership corrected with additional latches. Have called corporate to say poor engineering design (plastic) for premium RV.
QUESTION: has anyone installed a Helwig sway bar on the rear of GT?
Thanks,
The rear should already have a sway bar if Airstream ordered the right suspension option. Adding a heavier Helwig sway bar will only make the problem worse. Generally it is not just a problem for Airstream. Sprinter B-vans, with few exceptions, are noisy because of the basic rough ride Sprinter heavy duty truck suspension. Just take a ride with some passengers in back bench seat to find out how rough the ride is in a 3500 dually Sprinter.

The cabinet latches are the worst. I replaced all mine with units that have a positive locking latch.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:

but I found most of the noise coming from the bathroom section

I also put "little rubber feets" all around on all doors / cabinets.
Agree with the little rubber feet. I put them everywhere, including and especially on the bottom of the sink and grill covers.

Other squeak sources:
- Definitely the extendable arm TV brackets, tightening those up some helps.
- The microwave drawer in ours squeaks, we store one of the decorative pillows inside the microwave while driving which helps
- The "wood" paneling between the breaker box and bathroom rubbed and made noise. Took me forever to find that one.
- The drawer latches and the drawers sliding out as previously mentioned. Also happened to me on the drive home from the dealer with the drawers completely empty! It's a shame that to this day, Airstream still uses only 3 pound (3#) pull latches. I replaced all mine with 10# the first weekend.

I'd say I cut my squeaks down to about 1/3. You can never get rid of all of them (the nature of an RV). The rest are handled by the radio volume.
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #80
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
The rest are handled by the radio volume.

Which brings up another sore spot: the absolutely dismal Mercedes speakers…
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote