Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I would be quite surprised if the maximum boost MB has is not well within any damaging pressures of BMEP with the engine design.
Not using the EGR will raise the combustion temperature - but other markets do not use those and does not appear to be an issue.

From everything I have read- the most likely issue to cause severe engine damages is a cooling system not kept up to snuff.

From what I’ve seen (and been told to by truckers I know) they slow down on hills just because they don’t have the power to make it up- they have the fuel feed to the floor.

But of course, that is just me.
Personally, if I was concerned I’d probably be mounting a pyrometer in the exhaust to monitor those temperatures.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Re: the possibility that the cooling system is not up to snuff - wouldn't it be readable via the temperature data feed? Would it not be something that we'd be able to confirm or deny forthwith?

Our cooling system on our original engine appeared to be perfect. Still is. The iPad feeds that info, too. Husband sits in the passenger seat and chatters about the trade-off between engine temperature (which is assisted by air flow due to velocity) vs. boost pressure. On steep mountains, we get up to around 220 degrees F. Typical operation is around 190. More in scorching hot Houston.

The trucker comment came from... a trucker comment on another forum. A long-haul dude explained that the behavior was elective and intentional, not being done because the trucks are under-powered. And he implied that it is routinely done by a wide variety of truckers. Given that he was a commercial trucker and I was not, I took his explanation at face value.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
From everything I have read- the most likely issue to cause severe engine damages is a cooling system not kept up to snuff.
LOTUS54 - I agree. But even an engine that overheats, if not run further intentionally and is shutdown and cooling system is addressed/fixed right away, has a high probability of being good. That's been my experience with 2 cars that overheated. The most serious was a 1989 Merkur that had A/C issues. Dealer ended replacing most of A/C components only to find out it was the engine overheating marginally. But the temp sensor/sending unit was not going beyond the threshold temp. So gauge was (in retrospect) always pegging at "perfect" temp and never moved no matter how hot engine ran. Issue never got to where the engine was smoking. We lucked out, it ran great until I sold it with 150,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Re: the possibility that the cooling system is not up to snuff - wouldn't it be readable via the temperature data feed? Would it not be something that we'd be able to confirm or deny forthwith?

Our cooling system on our original engine appeared to be perfect. Still is. The iPad feeds that info, too. Husband sits in the passenger seat and chatters about the trade-off between engine temperature (which is assisted by air flow due to velocity) vs. boost pressure. On steep mountains, we get up to around 220 degrees F. Typical operation is around 190. More in scorching hot Houston.
INTERBLOG - regarding temp data feed, see my Merkur experience above. Readings that are too perfect even in very demanding engine conditions, should be a caution flag at least worthy of checking/monitoring (which you do). My S500 is a somewhat concerning car to drive in very hot conditions.When we first moved to the desert, and I went uphill in summer, the temp gauge would rise beyond 220 getting close to red line, but short of tripping over temp light. Lots of owners, especially the S600 V12 owners, worried about similar results due to their hotter engines. But dealers nationwide would always say it's normal, no repairs necessary unless it really overtemps. The engineer types in MB World forum even had a resistor mod to kick in the electric rad fan earlier than the OEM trigger. I did the mod and still have it installed. But it turns out MB dealers were right. The MB temp gauge (at least in the S) is very sensitive and almost a real time reading vs. the averaging type employed by most other makes. It is still concerning to see the gauge shoot up rapidly BUT I am used to it now. So if your temps fluctuate from 190 to 220 and is not always fixated on one temp, IMHO that's actually a good sign. Bottom line - MB V8/12 engines are designed to run hot and in my case, seems to run better too . I can only assume the Sprinter is no different, esp. with the DPF needing hotter temps to regen
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi IB,

We are going to attempt to duplicate this clever iPad mount.

If you have a chance, can you list what mount you used and the iPad size? Since you now have had a chance to test drive it.... are you happy with the iPad size or would you do a different size?

Have you thought about feeding in camera video?

Thanks! Hope you are enjoying your trip....

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We have an iPad 4 but Ram makes cradles for each model. The Amazon list below has the iPad2-iPad4 cradle, ball mount, and the short arm we used:

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share

The wooden block I cut has a 5 deg bevel on each side and seems to be a nice fit. But if I were to do it again, I would make sure the block was a smidge larger so that it would wedge in the slot rather than bottom out.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote