Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Interstate X Smart Shunt

Hi

One thing that crept into the X without a lot of publicity is a Victron Smart Shunt. If you look at the AS manual for the X, it's in there. If you dig into the CS bench and look just aft of the inverter, it's sitting there. The odd thing (at least on my X) is that it does not show up on the Victron App.

On the shunt, there is a green terminal block on the side. According to Victron, you need to run +12 to that terminal block to power the device via a fused wire. Oddly enough that wire is not connected. It's bundled up about 6" away by a Blue Sea gizmo ....

Getting to the terminal block probably involves pulling the bench ....

Fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Red wire with fuse holder?

Pics attached. Are you referring to the red wire with fuse holder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X-Shunt-Wiring-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	408821   Click image for larger version

Name:	X-Shunt-Wiring-2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	408822  

XPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
Pics attached. Are you referring to the red wire with fuse holder?
Hi

Yup that's the one. On mine it was still nicely tied up at the source end. This was the first production X that went through my dealer. I don't think they knew the Smart Shunt was supposed to be there.

Bob
Old 12-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since the wire is a push in connection to the Smart Shunt, getting it hooked up was a lot easier than I had though it might be. Once powered up, you go through the usual connect process to the Victron App and do the two sets of firmware updates. After that, you can program thing up to match the battery.

Now all we need to do is wait on the blower motor for the front heater .... It died during pre-flight at the dealer. They let me know before I came over and I made the call to still pick up the van.

Bob
Old 12-07-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
24X Blower Motor Failure

That failed on ours, too, and someone noted on the 24X Facebook group it had failed on theirs as well.

I ordered spares from an electronics supplier, as it's a four and a half hour drive to the dealer to replace a sixteen dollar part.

Mechatronics F1238X12B1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Fan.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	408863  
Old 12-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Wonder who has them in stock.....

Bob
Old 12-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Master Electronics has them in the US. Minimum order quantity is two.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, they have 2 less in stock now

Full part number seems to be F1238X12B1-FSR. There is also a -FHR running around. It has a different impeller. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Bob
Old 12-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

2022 Interstate 24X
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How much effort is involved in getting to/replacing the blower? Mine failed this weekend.
Nichols117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
The replacement is straightforward if you are handy and have the right parts/tools. Proceed at your own risk.

Make sure the heater is powered off.

The replacement fans I received didn't come with the Molex connector attached. I reused the existing connector by splicing it on with the same Ancor waterproof connectors I use on our boats. This takes a special installation tool I already owned. If I didn't already own the tool I'd have spent more time sourcing a match for the original connector. If doing a splice make sure to match up the color of the leads.

Removing the drawer below the pantry provides access.

The fan is mounted to the rear of the heat exchanger and is held on by four Phillips fasteners. It takes a stubby screwdriver to remove them. The Molex connector unsnaps.

Removing the fasteners is easy. So is dropping them and having to fish around with a hand and/or magnet. Don't be surprised to find other fasteners and tools left behind during factory assembly. It's best not to drop the fasteners. There's a chromed safety shield attached to the fan that comes off with it and goes back on the way it came off.

Make note of the orientation of the fan during removal. I believe it goes with the label side toward the heat exchanger. I forgot to do this and had to rig up a bench power supply to test. Taking a photo would have been the smart thing to do. Take a photo.

Replacing the screws requires a mirror or more patience than I have. I'd bought a suction mounted rearview mirror for the van and this worked a treat once I managed to pry it off the windshield and stick it to the wall behind the heat exchanger.

Snap the Molex connectors together.

Test.

Remember to remove the mirror before putting the drawer back in. Else curse, remove drawer, remove mirror, reinstall drawer.

Letting the dealer do all that is the best option if available.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm beginning to wonder just how many fans one should have in stock. They seem to be dropping like flies ....

I would *guess* ( but don't know ) that there are a lot of other fans from other outfits that would do the job. It appears to be a very standard size and configuration / power level. They are cheap enough, but replacing them sounds like a PIA.

It also sounds like sourcing the magic Molex connectors might be a good idea. That would mean diving into work out the part number on whatever one they used. There are a billion or so different versions ..... Pre-stage the spares inventory with connectors on them.

Bob
Old 01-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #12

2022 Interstate 24X
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I called Elwell/ Timberline about the fan. The service technician was very helpful. He had me test the voltage(12.94) coming to the fan. They are sending a replacement unit. They are aware of some fans failing but not sure why they are failing.

Elwell customer service was way better than Airstream/Jackson Center.

Jerry
Nichols117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols117 View Post
I called Elwell/ Timberline about the fan. The service technician was very helpful. He had me test the voltage(12.94) coming to the fan. They are sending a replacement unit. They are aware of some fans failing but not sure why they are failing.

Elwell customer service was way better than Airstream/Jackson Center.

Jerry
Hi

I very much get the impression that parts shortages have worn out a lot of the CS folks. Things go into limbo land and never come back out. The "what about the cellular prewire?" question also seems to be in the same AS limbo land as the fans.

When the replacement gets in, take a look at the part number on the fan. Let us know if (maybe) they have more than one PN they are using. That would not be a big surprise ....

For super bonus points, a picture of the Molex connector / which wire goes where would be really cool.

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #14

2022 Interstate 24X
Raleigh , North Carolina
Search on Amazon for:

2-Pin Molex 2.13mm (.084") Connector Kit, 14-20 AWG Arcade Pinball (3-Set)

I tried the 0.093 and the 0.062 pins and they are too big and too small respectively. These 0.084 seem to be the same size pin and connectors as used for the fan.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
Search on Amazon for:

2-Pin Molex 2.13mm (.084") Connector Kit, 14-20 AWG Arcade Pinball (3-Set)

I tried the 0.093 and the 0.062 pins and they are too big and too small respectively. These 0.084 seem to be the same size pin and connectors as used for the fan.
Hi

Previous posts have suggested that the fan is a three wire affair with a tachometer lead. That would suggest a three pin connector ....

Confused !!!

Bob
Old 01-22-2022, 05:56 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
The white (speed control) lead is unconnected. On the factory fan it was simply cut off and the bare end left uninsulated.

I shrink wrapped the end on the replacement fan but otherwise left the lead intact. The fan installation calls for only power and ground.

The connector XMan refers to is the correct connector.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
The white (speed control) lead is unconnected. On the factory fan it was simply cut off and the bare end left uninsulated.

I shrink wrapped the end on the replacement fan but otherwise left the lead intact. The fan installation calls for only power and ground.

The connector XMan refers to is the correct connector.
Hi

Hmmm ..... that's silly. Why design in a tach fan when you aren't going to use the tach feature? Way better (and more reliable) to just design in a basic two wire fan.

I wonder if they *did* design in a two wire fan and it went on shortage? Off they went to grab anything they could find to fill the gap in inventory. This beast came in and now they have failures .... hmmmm ....

Bob