Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Interstate Twin Temporaty Additional Seating?

Has anybody found a satisfactory approach to adding a temporary additional (3rd) seat to an AS-Interstate Twin?

The Twin only seats 2 in the driver compartment. I need a third seat for a trip. While a full-up FMVSS approved seat with restraints is unlikely and impractical, I am thinking a "bean-bag" lounge chair may do. It offers low center of gravity, but no crash protection.

Have others approached this question? All comments appreciated. Thanks

PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
. . ., I am thinking a "bean-bag" lounge chair may do. It offers low center of gravity, but no crash protection.
That's the killer for me. You'd have to not like the person to subject them to such an uncomfortable and unsafe riding position.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	338240

I would really like you to buy our extra seat, if practical. We took it out as we are having cabinetry installed in its place.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Has anybody found a satisfactory approach to adding a temporary additional (3rd) seat to an AS-Interstate Twin?
The Twin only seats 2 in the driver compartment. I need a third seat for a trip. While a full-up FMVSS approved seat with restraints is unlikely and impractical, I am thinking a "bean-bag" lounge chair may do. It offers low center of gravity, but no crash protection.
Have others approached this question? All comments appreciated. Thanks
Admitting to a moving violation (passenger without seat belt) I have carried a third person in front by means of placing a Dometic portable refrigerator between the front seats, which is sturdy enough to sit on, though it is slightly lower than the front seats. It's a multi-purpose solution to your problem.

I use the fridge even when I'm NOT carrying a third person up front, because I can't reach the galley fridge while I'm driving. Plus the Nova Kool galley fridge is only 3.1cf, and the portable fridge expands my cooling capacity. I can put (non-alcoholic) beverages in the cooler, and save the galley fridge for meal ingredients.

I also stuck down a computer mouse pad on top of the cooler's lid, not so much to provide padding for a passenger's tuchus, but rather to allow my cats to grip the mouse pad with their claws when riding on top of the cooler.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Hi, Chris. Yes, there is a solution -- which many people may not prefer, admittedly, but here goes.

Personal opinion trigger warning: I think that the twin design on its face is (cue the musical chords) dumb, de-dumb-dumb, DUMB. The key on every level to efficient operation of a Sprinter camper conversion is versatility. WHY, then, have about a third of the entire van (the beds) devoted to just one immovable purpose? Those twin mattresses don't even make good seats!

The first-gen Interstates offered a jack-knife couch option. During the day, the couches are placed upright, and our van has four seat belts back there. People can sit sideways with a lap belt which is bolted to the frame of the Sprinter. There are aspects of this design that I don't like - IMO, Airstream had the right idea, but the execution was a bit lacking. Nevertheless, despite the flaws, this option is a whole lot safer than a bean bag or a food cooler placed on the floor and used as a seat.

Both my husband and I have been perfectly happy with the comfort of these jackknife couches being used as beds for the past 4.5 years. Some people don't like that seam in the middle. Well, I'm a side sleeper and I actually find it really comfortable to insert a shoulder in there - it takes the pressure off. The consumer market is now starting to offer a bed with a slot in it where you can insert your shoulder and your upper arm. People pay big bucks for a semi-custom option like that, but our style of jack-knife couch basically offers the same functionality at no extra cost.

Jack-knife couches are still sold today, but I've yet to see anyone do this kind of retrofit to a younger Interstate. One or two people on this forum who wanted this kind of versatility set their minds to finding a first-gen Interstate RS (as it is called), and they did buy that kind.

Here's a pic of the couches up and down (not showing the pairs of seatbelts on each side, which were tucked into the center seams for this photo). I later replaced that the clunky OEM table with a Lagun.

Added bonus: Being able to raise one side and leave the other side down has been a blessing for us as a married couple. I am a morning person. My husband is the farthest thing from being a morning person as any human could possibly be. I get up at the butt-crack of dawn and put my bedding away, and happily sit down on my couch and go about my morning activities. My husband's side of the couch stays down with his unconscious form on it until he musters the ability to join me several hours later.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote