Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dallas , Georgia
Interstate Stereo Issues

I have a 2018 24GT that I acquired last fall. When we got it, the speakers were weak and sorta scratchy, so I figured I'd have to replace them eventually. The phone over BT wasn't audible at all.

I took to a dealer to check, and they said, yeah, there's issues, take to a MB place. Gee thanks. Oh, BTW they said, it doesn't play anymore, just a loud screeching noise.

I reset the system, and updated the software. There is some faint music you can hear if you turn it up all the way, but the screeching is out of control.

So, my questions are:
- is it possible it is getting interference? Not even sure how to track that down.
- how do I know if it's the head unit or speakers?
- I am thinking of pulling it all out and replacing it, but it seems rear speakers are difficult. I would like Android Auto/Apple Carplay, so this may be the route I go.

I don't really want to pull it out and replace it, then have the same screech issue.

Has anyone had this, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

If it matters, my right turn signal camera doesn't show up - just a purple screen. So I will replace that too at the same time as the stereo system.

thanks much.
ylwjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
It sounds like the head unit. Not likely that all speakers would blow at the same time.

I don't think replacing the head unit is particularly difficult. You might want to look on eBay for someone selling an OEM replacement.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Plant City , Sunshine State on the west coast.
Why not just leave it and install a Bluetooth sound system. Doing that you can stick speakers outside of the RV for the July BBQ=== Good luck, whatever you do.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Georgia
thanks guys. I had not thought of looking for an OEM unit. I do think I'd like to replace it with one that has Android Auto capability.

Maybe I'll swap out the head unit first, then go from there.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
Putting in an after-market head unit could affect your cameras.
You might want to check with someplace like crutchfield.com to see if they have any recommendations for a replacement. Also check the Sprinter Source forums (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php) to see what other people are choosing as a replacement.

Good luck!

Jim
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 08:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
These earlier year head units with either the Kenwood head unit or the Fusions from 2014 to 2019ísh were problems in general.

Youíre better off biting the bullet and replacing both the head unit and the front speakers for a better sounding system. I ended up replacing the head unit, front and rear speakers and donít regret it. I replaced my head unit with the Apine Halo 11 and Alpine speakers in front and rear. I also ended up replacing and the rear camera and tying it the head unit. IMHO, replace them all and stop dealing with the headaches.

I ended up replacing our Kenwood stock head unit twice before the Alpine. I first replaced the original Kenwood with the newer version that ended dying too so I gave up on Kenwood.

Post #7
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...xr-236519.html

Post #60

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-234941-3.html
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:24 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
These earlier year head units with either the Kenwood head unit or the Fusions from 2014 to 2019ísh were problems in general.

Youíre better off biting the bullet and replacing both the head unit and the front speakers for a better sounding system. I ended up replacing the head unit, front and rear speakers and donít regret it. I replaced my head unit with the Apine Halo 11 and Alpine speakers in front and rear. I also ended up replacing and the rear camera and tying it the head unit. IMHO, replace them all and stop dealing with the headaches.

I ended up replacing our Kenwood stock head unit twice before the Alpine. I first replaced the original Kenwood with the newer version that ended dying too so I gave up on Kenwood.

Post #7
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...xr-236519.html

Post #60

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-234941-3.html
Man, you are way more ambitious than I am. Funny enough, I figured the front doors would be easier than the back, because it seems there are more options to fit the front door space than there are for the very shallow mount back house speakers.

Someone had mentioned this unit

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JqWbra...-iLX-W670.html

on a thread here, so I have been thinking I'd go with this. Looks like it will require a new XM tuner (SXV300), which is only something like $59, and wiring harness and faceplate stuff. But, it has Android auto Apple Carplay (wired only, which is OK for me) as well XM capability.

I am trying hard not to let Best Buy do it for $180, but there is a part of me that may just do that. Would be nice to drop it off one day, and pick it up completed the next.