RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Interstate Step: Magnetic Switch Fix

Hello all -- for those like me who have had a finicky magnetic switch for the electrical step, I've replaced mine and it is an easy fix. BTW, we live 5 hours from the nearest Airstream dealer so $6 and 30 minutes of my time was an easy choice vs. warranty service.

I got a replacement switch from Amazon: "Directed Electronics" Magnetic Switch with both NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) circuits. I drilled out the rivets holding the original switch in place and pulled it loose. On our 2017 Interstate there was a 3-lead wire to the switch (white, green, and red) and plenty of wire.

I left about 3" of wire on the original switch in case the new one didn't work. Attach the wires to the new switch as follows: Wh=COM, Red=NC, Green=NO. (I may have the red and green reversed so if it doesn't work switch them; I am sure Wh is the COM). There are three exposed screws which I covered with hot glue to help secure and insulate the leads; you may have a better option but this seems to have worked well.

I affixed the new switch in place first with the (included) two sided tape and opened and closed the door a few times to be sure it worked and the position was right, then I drilled holes and secured the new switch in place with small screws and you're done. I did not replace the original magnet mounted inside the sliding door.

So far it's working perfectly! Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

David
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Thanks for posting this as I have the same problem and I was about to do the same thing, for the same reasons i.e. It is easier than the hassle of driving to the dealer. Do you have the manufacturer or brand name of the swith? I want to be sure and get the same one. Thanks again.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Sorry, I just read your post again and saw the Directed Electronics name. Thanks again, I am tired of the intermittent issues with my step switch.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
I notice there are a few models. Get the one from Amazon which shows 3 screws in the product photo.
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote