Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Vashon , Washington
Interstate Solar system installation

I'm exploring installing a solar system in my 2005 Interstate 22'.
I'd like to use the wires pre-installed for solar; I don't think I'll need a lot of power. Probably just enough to charge my Lifeline AGM GPL-27T 100 Amp hour battery to run the lights, fridge controller and fan. The battery is installed under the cab passenger seat. Maybe I would replace or add to the battery. My friend has two paired small 6v AGM batteries that have twice as much power each!
I'd love to hear from people who have done this, with the pre-installed wires or how hard it is to run new wires. What equipment do you recommend?
I'm very handy and good with electric; and I don't know much about solar.
Thanks!!
Baruch Roter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums!

I always feel obligated to ask people what their intended usage scenarios are before answering technical questions about how to achieve specific outcomes. You appear to have already analyzed your Interstate within the context of what you need, but it might be worth a re-check. Will you be using it for work, recreation, or both? On grid (with hook-ups) or off grid?

My husband and I started off as casual users, and then changed our minds as we realized that we wanted more capacity than our 2007 Interstate originally had. We then went higher-end in retrofitting a new electrical system that includes a lithium battery system and 4-way charging. We use our Interstate for both fun and extensively for work. The upgrades we did allow us to live in it for large chunks of time without being tied to the grid.

Regarding solar, if you wish to install a permanent solution, the roof rack has good potential for accepting panels. But some owners who want simpler systems use portable panels instead and simply set them out when they need charging to occur.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We're going "all in" on an upgrade that will replace the standard pathetic pair of group 24 Lifeline batteries with 400Ah of lithium batteries, 400 watts of solar, a 3000 watt inverter / charger, a soft start on the AC unit, and a cell phone booster with an external / internal antenna. At the same time we're going to have them yank off the Winegard dish someone put up there a while back and patch all the holes they made, because we have zero interest in satellite TV while traveling. OTA TV is more than enough, and if there isn't any TV signal, that's usually even better.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I added a single panel on my 2006. I did not use the pre-installed solar wiring, since it didn’t really work for how I did it.
The wires do NOT go up on the roof, which is the hardest part.

I ran the wires through the refrigerator vent (mid-bath) and the controller is mounted in the little cubby with the generator start/hot water heater swtich etc.
I did put some pictures and described where the pre-wiring was on mine anyway.

I just stayed with an AGM under the passenger seat, but as large as I could get. It has been working fine for me use so far.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...re-188142.html
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I replaced my 50W panel with two 100W panels. I did not use the original wiring, but did use the same through-the-roof fitting as was used for the original wiring. Also installed a MPPT solar controller. Kept the original two group 24 Lifeline AGM batteries. The way we use the Interstate we did not need any more than 200 W solar, nor more battery capacity. (Though when our 12V batteries need to be replaced I may go with two 6V that give slightly more capacity.)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote