Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Virginia
Interstate service/repair (Mid-Atlantic area)

Does anyone have any experience or recommend a good service/repair facility anywhere in the Mid Atlantic area (not an Airstream dealer) that can do some custom electrical work on a 2021 Interstate.

I've done a lot of searching and not finding anything other that TT servicing.

Thanks
Qurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might try calling those who do electrical work on automobiles, who may be able to do what you need.

The place that services my generator is an auto electric business that does RV work, as well,

Have also had electrical work done at Peterbilt years ago.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I recommend calling Joel Sell at Million Mile Sprinter in Philadelphia. He himself will not likely offer that service, but most of his customers are driving highly-specialized Sprinters of one kind or another (many of them custom camper vans), so I would bet that he has been asked that question previously.

If he can’t recommend any shops, then Sprinter Forum might yield some suggestions. We recently found a really good independent Sprinter shop in Knoxville TN through that site. Once again, many of that forum’s users are driving specialized Sprinters, so they may know of resources.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Annapolis , Maryland
I can't recommend any (yet) because I'm on the schedule of four different shops waiting for cancellations to get in sooner than my appointments, which range from next week through mid-November. All were a minimum of 6 weeks out from the time I booked them. Once I have some experiential evidence, I'll be sure to post it.

(And I'll be sure to cancel the ones I don't need. I didn't love doing it this way, but it seemed like the only way to ensure I could get in to these places.)
jmahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
Hi,
I have this company in my address book just incase of needing help with our Airstream, but I haven't actually used their services:
SLK RV Service, Kevin Gaughran, Barnegat NJ www.slkrvservice.com
Best,
John
JL_FC2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
If you were in Georgia or coming this way, I would recommend my diesel shop who does custom work on Semi Truck Sleeper Cabs as well as any type of diesel.

Taking my Land Yacht back to them next week to get routine service on engine and chassis.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd suggest that "custom electrical" covers a very wide range of possible tasks. Who you head over to probably depends more than a bit on just what you are trying to have done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Virginia
Interstate electrical servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'd suggest that "custom electrical" covers a very wide range of possible tasks. Who you head over to probably depends more than a bit on just what you are trying to have done.

Bob
There a few things I wanted to have done but the main project was to install a Mastervolt shunt which is going to require the positive and negative battery cables rerouted/terminated into the shunt. I haven't found any Airstream dealers that could or would be able to do this.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the mistake is holding to a belief that only Airstream dealers can service Airstreams.

You don’t have an Airstream-specific need, you have an RV electrical need, and have gotten some good suggestions here.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I think the mistake is holding to a belief that only Airstream dealers can service Airstreams.

You don’t have an Airstream-specific need, you have an RV electrical need, and have gotten some good suggestions here.

Maggie
Yes you're right... exactly why I asked about non Airstream service companies...and there are some very good suggestions here that I'm going to follow up on.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurius View Post
There a few things I wanted to have done but the main project was to install a Mastervolt shunt which is going to require the positive and negative battery cables rerouted/terminated into the shunt. I haven't found any Airstream dealers that could or would be able to do this.
Hi

Ok, you have two electrical systems on your RV. One deals with 120V, the other deals with 12V. Some things hook to both, but most live on one side of the other. The 12V empire divides a bit with solar since the physical install can be a bit "fun".

What you are after is a very basic 12V piece of work. There is nothing exotic about it. I know of AS dealers who would install the device. The typical gotcha is that you would need to buy it through their parts department.

Since it's not very complex, just about anybody who is halfway competent should be able to do the work. For that matter, it is very much a "can do DIY" sort of project.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA
I can do electrical work on RV campers. My company is Off Grid Electric Power (https://www.offgridelectricpower.com/)

I am out of Fredericksburg, VA but am currently camping in North Carolina. I also do RV camper inspections for buyers and sellers.

Give me a call: at 540.220.7926 or fill out the form on the website.
proctorco is offline   Reply With Quote