Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A bill is sent to the owner of the vehicle based on plate number.
Even regular Interstate highways are becoming toll roads like the I-65 bridge from Louisville to Cincinnati.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
SOP for the justice system. Details have been hashed out over time. Good luck finding what I wrote above (have had it detailed to me in professional training).

Imagine you are on camera: if ones vehicle breaks plane only at moment signal lights, one is in the wrong. Signal MUST come on before movement.

Same at other end. Off ONLY when again lane centered.

Lane changes cannot be by surprise.

IOW, a few flashes does not suffice under law.

As with merges:

When merging from inferior road to superior road, signal must be on AT LEAST as far as vehicles in superior can see it. If this means nearly a half mile down a dedicated ramp, so be it.

Etc, in this vein.

Intentions must PRECEDE actions (easily remembered).
Better tell the OEMs. It's called a lane change feature for a reason. Since I don't crash into people when changing lanes (I actually look first unlike people around here who use the blinker-on-for-half-mile method and just move over) I don't have any issues.

There are 3 words in my book: "must signal intentions". I wish people would actually learn to merge and change lanes rather than relying on that little stalk on the column.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #103
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
It's easy avoidin tolls in the west, not so much in the east.

I find that i used to trust big rigs when makin decisions but nowadays big rig drivers are just as bad as everyone else. They rush in and outta lanes and speed and tailgate just like the masses, except they're bigger and more dangerous.

My best move is to remove the throttle upon bein tailgated. Brakin makes em angry and then they tail more. But just lettin up on the throttle and slowly decreasin speed gets em off your back cause they can't understand what's going on. If I'm goin 60 and you tail me, ya can bet I'll be goin 40 in a minute. And if that don't work I'm goin 20.

I ain't in a hurry.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #104
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Also my favorites are the ones in terrible cars that wanna go fast but can't so they tail ya when it's a downhill slope but they can't hold 60 when it's uphill!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #105
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Better tell the OEMs. It's called a lane change feature for a reason. Since I don't crash into people when changing lanes (I actually look first unlike people around here who use the blinker-on-for-half-mile method and just move over) I don't have any issues.

There are 3 words in my book: "must signal intentions". I wish people would actually learn to merge and change lanes rather than relying on that little stalk on the column.
It's determination of liability. Most moving as signal comes on. That's the loser. Same for completing maneuver.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's determination of liability. Most moving as signal comes on. That's the loser. Same for completing maneuver.
Don't hit anyone=no liability

Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #107
PianoTech

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lansdale , Pennsylvania
We're all pretty much saying the same thing. Be cautious.
tjplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas

Here are my five-dollar trucker stickers from Amazon. They are the same height as business cards. Therefore, I lined the back of them with business card magnetic backers (like what real estate agents use when they want to turn their business cards into your refrigerator magnets), rather than affixing them permanently via their adhesive.

I must admit, I'm curious as to whether these will elicit any behavioral changes on the freeway. And if they do inspire a behavior modification, I wonder would it be negative or positive? Because many drivers are so oppositional these days that, if they see something encouraging them NOT to pass on the right for safety reasons, they just might INTENSIFY their efforts to pass on the right.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
We need one toll pass systems that works for all toll roads in the country. Right now I have a Maryland EZpass and a Florida SunPass. Congress recognized the need in the 2012 and has mandated interoperability by Oct 2016. It appears we aren't there yet.
http://www.tollinterop.org/
Don't know if you looked at the North Carolina Quick Pass or not, it does work in Florida and Georgia as well as the EZPass states.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Here are my five-dollar trucker stickers from Amazon. They are the same height as business cards. Therefore, I lined the back of them with business card magnetic backers (like what real estate agents use when they want to turn their business cards into your refrigerator magnets), rather than affixing them permanently via their adhesive.

I must admit, I'm curious as to whether these will elicit any behavioral changes on the freeway. And if they do inspire a behavior modification, I wonder would it be negative or positive? Because many drivers are so oppositional these days that, if they see something encouraging them NOT to pass on the right for safety reasons, they just might INTENSIFY their efforts to pass on the right.

The signs might work better on a semi than a van. Wouldn't work at all especially if you're in the center lane and traffic is moving faster.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Here are my five-dollar trucker stickers from Amazon. ....

Much to my surprise, these things actually work. Not perfectly, of course, but it's knee-slappingly funny to watch the show when they do. I'll see somebody come roaring up behind me on my right side with the intention to pass, but then they'll catch sight of these magnets and they'll just... FREEZE. Their autobody language is easy to read as they cogitate, "Oh, s*** - what is THAT?!" And then they'd dutifully pass me on the left instead. Better to not take any chances, they conclude.

Seriously, I would not have predicted it. I mostly just thought it would be fun to blow yet another five bucks on Amazon.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Much to my surprise, these things actually work. Not perfectly, of course, but it's knee-slappingly funny to watch the show when they do. I'll see somebody come roaring up behind me on my right side with the intention to pass, but then they'll catch sight of these magnets and they'll just... FREEZE. Their autobody language is easy to read as they cogitate, "Oh, s*** - what is THAT?!" And then they'd dutifully pass me on the left instead. Better to not take any chances, they conclude.

Seriously, I would not have predicted it. I mostly just thought it would be fun to blow yet another five bucks on Amazon.
They're probably afraid to pass an RV. Some are driven rather unpredictably. Anyway, by blocking the center lane you're effectively forcing traffic to pass right or left. You're basically trying to block two lanes at once. Not good.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
In my area, there is no "the" left or "the" right or "the" center. I'm talking about behavior on freeways that are up to 22 lanes wide, with merge ramps that are up to 4 lanes wide. A freeway expansion to 16 lanes was just completed north of our neighborhood, in the Clear Lake section of greater Houston. Our section (a mile from us, the Galveston County leg) is next up for expansion and that is underway, but I think they're only going to take our part to 12 lanes wide. It's a pity, because we really could use more.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #114
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
They're probably afraid to pass an RV. Some are driven rather unpredictably. Anyway, by blocking the center lane you're effectively forcing traffic to pass right or left. You're basically trying to block two lanes at once. Not good.
When the highway is at least 3 lanes wide, it's best to stay out of the far right lane to avoid merging traffic, and best to stay out of the left lane(s) to avoid passing traffic. It's a perfectly acceptable defensive driving strategy to be in one of the middle lanes and maintain as steady a speed as you can, so I would say it's "very good," rather than "not good."

Also, as long as you're moving at a speed in between posted minimum and maximum speeds, you're not "blocking" any lane. Even if you're not going as fast as most other drivers want to go.

Speaking of traffic lanes, here's a pop quiz for you… We all know the right lane is the "slow lane." But which is the "fast lane" that we all have heard about? Answer: None of them. Except in very rare instances (i.e. some HOV lanes have a higher limit than adjacent lanes), the speed limit on a given stretch of highway is the same in every lane, so there is no fast lane, only a passing lane.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #115
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a rule that, whenever possible, I do not make a move that causes another driver to modify their progress. For example, if there is someone overtaking on the left, but there is still room for me to move over, I will stay in my lane, rather than cause them to slow down or change lanes. This avoids aggravation and possible road rage. This is not always possible, especially when it is necessary to change lanes in order to make an exit or when lanes end.

Don't assume that because of this that I am a slow or timid driver. I spent a significant part of my life as a fighter pilot. At just under 85 YO, I have driven for just under 70 years without an accident ever charged to me. I have been rear ended three times and side-swiped once when a truck swerved into me to miss a road-alligator.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #116
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Lane One is often blocked to big trucks. And you'd best believe that Lane Two is then "the fast lane" (for trucks).

When you choose to run under limit in Lane Two or Three of a four lane expressway in a metro area, it impedes traffic to which you're not paying attention.

I agree about not wanting to be in the outside lane.

But to make all the above easier (thus the outside lane not so onerous) , stay at least five-under.

Except in rush hour this works pretty well.

The mindset that backing off in speed is a penalty (even if already "slow") is hurting some of you in adaptive tactics.

I don't like big trucks backed up behind me even when I'm driving one. Too many Third Worlders now. Failure to maintain adequate distance.

I suggest more closely observing conditions. Next to the outside lane at 5-under is a good start.

In a Sprinter, I'd just haul ass however I wanted. Towing is another story.

Generally, headlights on is a help. But in passing some, it's a hindrance. They'll speed up. I passed six trucks southbound from San Antonio to Laredo yesterday with minimal overtaking speed. They'd speed up. I'd have to fall back and kill the headlights. Then ride the left edge of the passing lane to get around them. Within a short time they'd be back to their former plodding pace.

Many, if not most, in some areas are accustomed to doing whatever other drivers are doing. You're "doing it for them" (making their decisions). Worse, they've no understanding of the law itself. Don't expect them to. They get a giant pass from consequences in this society we now have. Driving is another aspect of that. Doesn't mean I yield ROW (which is a mistake), does mean being choosy about it.

Observe, experiment, and just maintain space.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I might venture a happy birthday because I was remembering 84.

I'm 37 years on the road with no accidents in which I played any role of fault. I did have two people hit me when my vehicle was already at a lawful dead stop - one rear-end, one backed into my front end. Hard to avoid those.

My Dad is approximately 60 years with no accidents of any kind. We are sort of in a competition to see who can go the longest.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
There may be formal terms for some of what I’m describing here, but I’m using lay language.

I hit what I call a “quadrant 3” wind coming across the Canadian province of New Brunswick yesterday. We like to grouse about cross winds on this forum, but a quadrant 3 wind is far more dangerous, as is a quadrant 2 wind but for reasons of geography, I have much less experience with those.

First of all, here in the left side of the image below is what I mean by quadrants. At least with a straight-up cross wind, both axles of the vehicle are being pushed in the same direction. You can fight that more directly with the steering wheel. You can’t do that with a quadrant 3 wind, as I explain below, because it pushes the rear axle disproportionately.

A quadrant 3 wind attempts to rotate the ass end of your vehicle around in a manner analogous to what law enforcement officers call a PIT maneuver. Have you ever seen footage of police chases where they hook the rear bumper and spin the fleeing vehicle around? That’s analogous to quadrant 3 wind (police usually do it on the street side of the car because that way when the car spins, they are facing the driver directly and can see whether or not there are weapons, etc.).

You might wonder how a wind can muster enough force to make a difference to destabilize a large vehicle. But remember, that vehicle is trying to go 65 mph, probably on rough roads. If you hit the right combination of vehicle trajectory and speed, pavement pitch and roll, and wind speed, it can shove you out of your lane. And you can’t correct as assertively as you would with simple cross wind – if you steer counterclockwise at the same time as the wind is trying to spin you counterclockwise, it would create a compound result. If you accidentally over-correct, your best case scenario might be a spin-out. Your worst case might be a roll-over.

Yesterday I watched as multiple big rigs, box vans, and trailer haulers hit the rumble strips in turn. They were each being blown onto the shoulder of the Trans-Canada Highway. They knew instinctively not to react too aggressively, but rather to “ride it out” in a sense, and gradually tack back to the center of the lane of travel.

I’ve found New Brunswick to be a particularly bad area for this kind of wind effect because of its geography, the orientation of the highway relative to the track of frontal boundaries, and the condition of the pavement. Both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are characterized by low rolling terrain and both are exposed to the effects of the North Atlantic as it interacts with the jet stream. I call some of the resulting winds they experience “scraping winds” because they have a horizontal laminar feel, like the wind was raking at the surface of the earth and trying to scrape you right off it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #119
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thank you for reviving the thread. Had not seen it... started to read page one and had to chime in to thank you for it. Now going back to continue to read the rest.

Have not had any scares, knock on wood, so far... I do move over to center lane when coming up to entrances/exits or passing rest areas, because I know people will slow down to exit, or coming in at slower speeds when entering the highway, so I give them their space...

Knowing this also allows you to predict that Semi-truck moving in your lane if they are doing the same when driving by a rest area... so do not fight them... I just slow down a bit, flash my headlights and give them the right of way.

I do need to slow down a bit... I know... I am usually 5-8 miles over speed limit. Would be better for mileage and everything else (wife's blood pressure) if I would stay 5 mph below the speed limit.

Loved the stickers... will try to find magnetic equivalent of those to use while on the road and remove when at site/home...

Back to reading the rest of the posts.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #120
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Winds gather in force on non-aero (and tall) boxes like a Sprinter from bow to stern along the sides since they can’t escape (rounded edges like the trailers allow for escape; lessened force; pull versus push).

As bad as are crosswinds, for handling it is the winds three-quarters off the bow. Not headwind, nor crosswind. Least predictable. Thus hardest to consistently counter.

Speed reduction is the only “cure”. (Tires to load, not to maximum).

Overhang off rear axle is the problem cited. Less resistance by tires as body is moving against suspension. From rear bumper back in towards rear axle is a lever. This is where a rear Panhard Rod is helpful. The tail wags the dog.

It’s not uncommon (though not legal) to see tractor-trailer drivers move the trailer tandem axle set to the rearmost setting to counter this effect. Usually only on IH80 or 25 into or across Wyoming. To keep from being blown over.

But lane incursions are more likely with the 3/4 bow wind. Gusts within prevailing wind. Will cause a whip along the length of the vehicle. The higher the road speed, the worse the effect.

Loss of control accidents are usually overcorrection at the wheel. When the forces are uneven (3/4 wind gust), one is dealing with complex forces in action. The bow is being pushed one direction and the stern another, with other factors.

For whatever reason, Sprinter drivers are too aggressive in normal circumstances. I can bank on it (90k miles plus this calendar year). Bad choices about spacing, just for starters.

Ha! And I can’t deny that testing such propositions isn’t fun. I hope no one here believes the left lane of the Interstate is somehow “the fast lane”. Or that ROW in that lane exists. “Sprinter conversion” and “road hog” are almost synonymous. (One cannot block entrance to the passing lane for that is the reason for its existence. Etc. All bets are off when in that lane; why extended travel in such is illegal).

Winds only complicate everyone’s day. First come sensible choices about accommodating what other vehicles can do. And as that is about making deductions, it is no surprise that the general abilities of drivers have deteriorated so badly versus fifty years ago as the side effect of diversity and equality.

There appears to be the belief that left lane travel prevents vehicles in the right lane (inherent ROW) from pulling out to pass. That’s setting ones self up for a fatal “decision”. (As is trying to use the right lane to cut between two tractor-trailers, one passing the other. You may not do so, but I’d recommend you hit the brakes with some violence when you see it done ahead of you. Even, “a long ways ahead”).

The road hog screws things up for everyone. Even those far to the rear.

Let the winds and the traffic to themselves. Back down in speed. And if cancelling cruise control a dozen times daily is necessary to maintain 6-700’ of space learn to make it the norm. Doesn’t change my day in the least. I’ve built it into the trip plan (you have one, correct?). And I have to be somewhere. You don’t.