Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #161
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,328
Hi

My point was only that once you get so close to the truck that your visibility goes to zero, you are now in kamikaze mode. Anything that goes wrong .... splat .... 20 feet / one car length at 60 MPH is not uncommon and it is way to close.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #162
Rivet Master
 
2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

My point was only that once you get so close to the truck that your visibility goes to zero, you are now in kamikaze mode. Anything that goes wrong .... splat .... 20 feet / one car length at 60 MPH is not uncommon and it is way to close.

Bob


Most people do not realize at 60mph you cover 88 feet per second !

There was a post on here about a couple following a big truck too close and a mangled deer came out from UNDER the truck and took out parts of the trailer. The big truck never slowed.

Keep some distance, be safe.
__________________
2016 Int. Signature 28' w/ ProPride 3P-1400 Hitch
Mich. LTX w/ 16" Sendels, Centramatics
2017 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel, CG1800 Bed slide, Leer topper
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #163
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,923
Blog Entries: 1
AS many semi trailers have postings on back that if you can't see my mirrors I csn't see you. This a very good distance to follow a semi & it will be safest, also many truck drivers have concerns about some one following to close behind them.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #164
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,328
Hi

It does not have to be anything too weird to mess things up. A rock can be tossed a pretty good distance by a semi's tire. Your windshield will not be happy with the result.

I've also seen things like dump trucks hit rough patches on the interstate and come pretty close to loosing control. If you are far enough back, you can spot that part of the road and get in the other lane. What comes bouncing out of the back of a marginally controlled dump truck ... YIKES !!! Yes it *would* be nice if various states decided to actually *pave* the roads .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #165
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
The latest tractor trailers have disc brakes. Many trailers, too. And engine programming that makes for powerful engine brake use.

Semis (especially empty) can stop far faster than you expect.

On a bet I could have cars hitting the back of my trailer all day long. From 200’ back at the start. My use of the service brake (thus illuminating the brake lights) would be only a moment. IOW, “no warning”.

These things are NOT about likelihood. They’re about possibility.

.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 217
I stay away from semis mainly for road debris and rocks. Also for me when I get closer before passing I get a bit of wind sway. Usually gets a reaction from the passengers( heads come up from book/screen). I try to time any semi pass with a lot of clear road.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 AM   #167
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
...
On a bet I could have cars hitting the back of my trailer all day long. From 200’ back at the start. My use of the service brake (thus illuminating the brake lights) would be only a moment. IOW, “no warning”.

.
Another good reason I keep a dash cam on at all times.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #168
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Another good reason I keep a dash cam on at all times.
COUNTRYBOY59 - Yes, totally agree. With today's technology and many road hazards encountred, a dashcam with Auto Start/Stop functionality that also uploads automatically to redundant cloud storage IMHO is as much of a necessity as auto insurance. It is very cheap, many times even free if obtained during certain promos. Many apps don't even need a separate cam, utilizing the cam on a smart phone. All our vehicles are dashcam equipped. The tech is such that insurance companies are starting to recognize their ability to help with incident disputes and they are giving discounts to those who have them permanently installed.

Pic of 3 of the most important driving strategy/tools I depend on all together in 1 spot up my overhead console - rear cam monitor, TPMS, & dashcam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_070642.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	326859  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 AM   #169
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Another good reason I keep a dash cam on at all times.
To prove you were at fault. What a guy!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #170
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
To prove you were at fault. What a guy!!
First, those tricks won’t work with me (nor do some others you’ve mentioned, like pacing others to block traffic). I’ve seen it all and know how to stay clear. Second, dash cams are cheap and everyone is recording everything these days. The cameras go straight to the cloud and, someday, will be standard on all vehicles. Third, if you preach towing safety to others on here I know you wouldn’t deliberately cause others to rear-end your semi trailer by activating the brakes in such a way as to disable the brake lights. You certainly wouldn’t post it on here if you were doing it, not with all the accident lawyers out there! Safe travels!
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16” tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #171
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
I saw this pic this morning and immediately thought of this old thread, and the difficulty that I had explaining to some people that Houston freeways are up to 22 lanes wide. Sometimes an OFF RAMP will be four lanes wide. Not the freeway itself - just the off ramp!!

Many Airstream owners simply don't have experience living with almost seven million people, and the routine challenges associated with driving a large lumbering vehicle in the middle of all that. I'm about to head out to a meeting this morning. Houston rush hour consists of two million people on the roads commuting at the same time, in the same area. Two million people in transit, in the metro, simultaneously.

This picture communicates some of that vast size and complexity. It's the bull pen, the control room, for our local traffic monitoring authority.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #172
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
This is a test to see if I can embed Instagram video snippets in forums threads. It used to be that you had to have an IG account to access content, but that may have changed.

There are many teachable highway safety moments on IG. This particular scenario I have seen myself, although with lesser degrees of fish-tailing. I find it remarkable that:

(1) this truck driver managed to recover control, and
(2) the filmer did not brake upon seeing this potential catastrophe begin to unfold.

As I mentioned previously, the Interstate's only evasive maneuver is very hard straight-line braking.

If you CANNOT click this link and access the short video snippet, please comment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx9zF7yo...d=vlyihnw6guid
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #173
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
The Interstate's only real evasive maneuver is hard straight-line braking. But what if you are in a construction zone with concrete barriers on both sides, no shoulders, two non-regulation narrow lanes, and wall-to-wall traffic backed up behind you, when something happens?

That was my scenario yesterday when this happened -- but fortunately I was in my Sienna rather than in the Interstate. If I had been in the Interstate, there is NO QUESTION that I would have received heavy damage to the under-chassis components (plumbing lines, propane lines, exhaust train, etc.).

The truck in this pic below has 18 wheels but only 17 tires. Where the red arrow points, you can see that only a small portion of the 18th tire's sidewall continues to cling to the rim.

The 18th tire basically ended up in my face, in the form of several huge chunks. It proceeded under the chassis and I had no means of evasion in that situation. In my rear view mirror, I watched as car after car after car also slammed into those pieces, one after another.

A sobering reminder that sometimes collisions cannot be avoided.

I had to wait until I got out of the barrier zone and into a clear stretch of freeway before I could get this pic.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #174
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,614
I took this pic for @Tincampers re: their upcoming Maritime Canadian trip, but unfortunately it doesn't show the dimensionality that would be needed to convey the full range of this issue. What appears shocking to the naked eye when viewed in 3D loses much of its impact in the photo.

This is an example of downslope undermining, which can pose a life-threatening danger to those who are not familiar with it and do not see it in time to take evasive action.

Even without the benefit of 3D views, you can see that these guard rail posts are basically dangling off the rail itself. Two of them were swinging in the breeze. This happened because the bank eroded out, and is eating back into the soil that underlies the road.

At some point, continued mass wasting will send some or all of the paved road itself over the embankment. The only question is - will anyone get killed in the process? Again, it's difficult to tell from this photo, but this would not be a survivable fall.

"A perfect storm" of economic and demographic decline has created a situation in which one of the most beautiful regions in North America is unable to keep pace with its own road maintenance needs for lack of funds. When driving the backroads in this area, I spend a lot of time with my streetside wheels on the opposite side of the double yellow line. Sometimes the downslope undermining is so pervasive that I cannot safely remain in my own lane at all. This is especially true north of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

I have a horrible vision in my head of an innocent tourist in a heavy Class B or C who loses concentration for just a moment because they are faced with a pretty scene like this. They put their wheels too close to the right-hand edge of their lane, and over they go to their deaths, because the road finally gives way. Sooner or later, something like that will happen. All through this area, there are patches where it's obvious that the entire road caved out and had to be rebuilt.

The only thing remaining to hold up this section of road is residual friction among soil particles underneath it. There's no structural reinforcement whatsoever.

Be careful out there.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #175
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I took this pic for @Tincampers re: their upcoming Maritime Canadian trip, but unfortunately it doesn't show the dimensionality that would be needed to convey the full range of this issue. What appears shocking to the naked eye when viewed in 3D loses much of its impact in the photo.

This is an example of downslope undermining, which can pose a life-threatening danger to those who are not familiar with it and do not see it in time to take evasive action.

Even without the benefit of 3D views, you can see that these guard rail posts are basically dangling off the rail itself. Two of them were swinging in the breeze. This happened because the bank eroded out, and is eating back into the soil that underlies the road.

At some point, continued mass wasting will send some or all of the paved road itself over the embankment. The only question is - will anyone get killed in the process? Again, it's difficult to tell from this photo, but this would not be a survivable fall.

"A perfect storm" of economic and demographic decline has created a situation in which one of the most beautiful regions in North America is unable to keep pace with its own road maintenance needs for lack of funds. When driving the backroads in this area, I spend a lot of time with my streetside wheels on the opposite side of the double yellow line. Sometimes the downslope undermining is so pervasive that I cannot safely remain in my own lane at all. This is especially true north of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

I have a horrible vision in my head of an innocent tourist in a heavy Class B or C who loses concentration for just a moment because they are faced with a pretty scene like this. They put their wheels too close to the right-hand edge of their lane, and over they go to their deaths, because the road finally gives way. Sooner or later, something like that will happen. All through this area, there are patches where it's obvious that the entire road caved out and had to be rebuilt.

The only thing remaining to hold up this section of road is residual friction among soil particles underneath it. There's no structural reinforcement whatsoever.

Be careful out there.

We appreciate the thought. Our roads around here are as treacherous and they have no guardrails because there either isn’t enough room (no shoulder at all) or they have all fallen over the edge. Two of our local highways have been closed since last February due to landslides, one where a cousin of our neighbor was killed when the landslide swept him and the road away. A few minutes later another car went off the road landing on top of him taking his life.

Still plan to head out right after Labor Day. Leave us some burritos.

John
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #176
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is especially true north of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

over they go to their deaths, because the road finally gives way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Our roads around here are as treacherous and they have no guardrails because there either isn’t enough room (no shoulder at all) or they have all fallen over the edge. Two of our local highways have been closed since last February due to landslides,
And I thought California Hwy 1 is terrible, still is & I still do. No guardrails, Landslides, not worth the scenery. Thank you appreciate the heads-up. 2 more places added to the "do not spend tourist dollars here" list.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:51 AM   #177
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
And I thought California Hwy 1 is terrible, still is & I still do. No guardrails, Landslides, not worth the scenery. Thank you appreciate the heads-up. 2 more places added to the "do not spend tourist dollars here" list.
It is worth the scenery here. We chose to live here for the scenery, the twisty mountain roads (we ride a motorcycle), the low taxes and a much slower lifestyle. Eastern TN is hard to beat.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #178
Rivet Master
 
UncleBad's Avatar
 
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is a test to see if I can embed Instagram video snippets in forums threads. It used to be that you had to have an IG account to access content, but that may have changed.



There are many teachable highway safety moments on IG. This particular scenario I have seen myself, although with lesser degrees of fish-tailing. I find it remarkable that:



(1) this truck driver managed to recover control, and

(2) the filmer did not brake upon seeing this potential catastrophe begin to unfold.



As I mentioned previously, the Interstate's only evasive maneuver is very hard straight-line braking.



If you CANNOT click this link and access the short video snippet, please comment.



https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx9zF7yo...d=vlyihnw6guid


Can’t access...
__________________
2018 27FBQ Tommy Bahama - "Indecision" w/Blue Ox SwayPro, Centramatics, Dual EasyStarts, Airstream Connected, Airtug Trailer Tug HD
2012 F250 6.7 Powerstroke King Ranch - "Earl", Centramatics, Viair On Board Air
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #179
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,735
Ditto. Get the “play” icon with a slash through it. Won’t play when clicked on...
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #180
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
Strange, I can watch it on a iPad.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interstate-specific boondocking strategies? InterBlog Sprinter and B-van Forum 86 02-13-2019 12:58 PM
Tornado Avoidance Strategies? Lynn S. On The Road... 32 04-30-2016 11:16 AM
No reservation campsite strategies debbietaylor 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 7 03-16-2016 09:52 PM
Safe without the WD hitch for a interstate tow? BoldAdventure Hitches, Couplers & Balls 27 08-17-2014 09:45 AM
Gun/Valuables Safe - What safe is the best? BrandonJenna General Interior Topics 22 02-21-2013 12:24 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.