Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #141
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Mr. Irwin, I’d like to suggest that constantly adjusting cruise set speed means following too closely.
Not at all. I leave plenty of space in front of me. I spent all too much time in clouds in 10 tons of fighter at 300 knots and 5 feet between my head and the tip tank of another fighter. Later, in the Reserves, I was flying 30 tons of C-119 or C-123 on the wing of another plane while dropping paratroops. I want plenty of space in front of me. I developed a fine-tuned distance detector from racing sailboats where fractions of a knot make a difference.

My CC adjustments are made to keep a good cushion between me and leading traffic. Doing in in small increments with the cruise control, in turn, minimizes disturbances in the flow behind me, another thing learned in formation flying. I get 1 mph with a tap on the CC stalk. My aim is to make only small corrections and that includes constantly analyzing the situation well out in front.

I have been driving for 72 years without accident except being rear-ended three times while stopped and side-swiped once when an 18-wheeler swerved out of his lane to avoid a road alligator while passing me while I was slowing in an exit lane. There is no noise in the world like all those protruding lug bolts grinding down the side of a car.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
.... the goal is simply being smooth through the day maintaining space, travel speed becomes something of an irrelevancy. Dictated by traffic volume.....

If I have to pull into left lane to pass more than once daily (South Central US) I’m pushing too hard. 66-mph if I’m running thru the Texas Panhandle.

No lane changes. No braking events. No acceleration events. ....

These statements seem to contradict one another, at least in part.

I agree with you on the first statement - IF you happen to be driving a passenger vehicle. That's the way I drive my car - with the flow.

But speed limits in Texas are 75 mph throughout much of it now. 85 mph in West Texas. There is NO WAY for our rig to be other than an island in a stream under those conditions. We can't safely exceed 65 mph under most conditions. Speed is not dictated by traffic volume. It's dictated in significant measure by the physical parameters of the rig. There's no way to maintain space because traffic runs up our rear ends at 65 mph.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I like to leave a large distance between me and the vehicle in front also. (I found in Alabama and Georgia someone would dive into that space)

It is annoying to keep adjusting cruise, when the person in front keeps changing speed.
the ‘Adaptive Cruise’ I have in my car is wonderful for that. The distance is adjustable (I have longest set) and it will keep that distance no matter what the person in front does. Even coming to a complete stop. But if the person starts driving steadily at your set speed (or pulls off) it will go back to cruise all automatically.
Certianly I don’t rely on just that. If someone pulls out it will wait to slow down until getting close. I’d rather turn off cruise and use regen braking to slow it down, keeping distance. After getting to set distance- a ‘resume’ is easy.

I hear the 2019 Sprinter *may* be coming with that- but that is just rumor as far as I’ve heard.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #144
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I like to leave a large distance between me and the vehicle in front also. (I found in Alabama and Georgia someone would dive into that space)

It is annoying to keep adjusting cruise, when the person in front keeps changing speed.
the ‘Adaptive Cruise’ I have in my car is wonderful for that. The distance is adjustable (I have longest set) and it will keep that distance no matter what the person in front does. Even coming to a complete stop. But if the person starts driving steadily at your set speed (or pulls off) it will go back to cruise all automatically.
Certianly I don’t rely on just that. If someone pulls out it will wait to slow down until getting close. I’d rather turn off cruise and use regen braking to slow it down, keeping distance. After getting to set distance- a ‘resume’ is easy.

I hear the 2019 Sprinter *may* be coming with that- but that is just rumor as far as I’ve heard.

Mark
Hi

If you get onto twisty mountain roads (even interstate roads) with adaptive cruse set for "long range", be very careful. It can loose the car in front and / or lock onto something else. Either way it stops doing what it's supposed to. If it locks up on a bolder by the side of the road ..... yikes .... (and yes I have friends that no longer use it ....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #145
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you get onto twisty mountain roads (even interstate roads) with adaptive cruse set for "long range", be very careful. It can loose the car in front and / or lock onto something else.
Bob
I can not safely use the adaptive cruise in my Genesis on the very hilly and winding farm-to-market road through the hill country to my house. The same goes for the automatic dimming headlights. Approaching cars may not be where the sensor can detect them until they are very close. I have never lost lock on an interstate.

I keep the cruise control set on the longest following distance except in the city where the longer distance is an almost certainty for someone will dart in between and leave me with no cushion.

Adaptive cruise is great for the creep-forward occasions while in a queue at an accident or a 4-way stop. No need to touch a pedal.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Hi

If you get onto twisty mountain roads (even interstate roads) with adaptive cruse set for "long range", be very careful. It can loose the car in front and / or lock onto something else. Either way it stops doing what it's supposed to. If it locks up on a bolder by the side of the road ..... yikes .... (and yes I have friends that no longer use it ....).

Bob
UNCLE BOB - Kinda like the same category as the self driving car avoiding the deer that jumped in front of it. It took the soft shoulder and down the cliff Autonomous driving capabilities are scary stuff, which is why I prefer to keep my use of it to a minimum, until I get too old to drive. Then I may have no choice. Probably no riskier than taking a LV taxi
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #147
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I can not safely use the adaptive cruise in my Genesis on the very hilly and winding farm-to-market road through the hill country to my house. The same goes for the automatic dimming headlights. Approaching cars may not be where the sensor can detect them until they are very close. I have never lost lock on an interstate.

I keep the cruise control set on the longest following distance except in the city where the longer distance is an almost certainty for someone will dart in between and leave me with no cushion.

Adaptive cruise is great for the creep-forward occasions while in a queue at an accident or a 4-way stop. No need to touch a pedal.
Hi

We were just out driving around on some of those roads. They are indeed the sort of thing I had in mind.

Stay safe !!

Bob
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sometimes roadway distractions can turn out to be kind of amazing.

Here's what I see in the example described in this news story: the maker has inadvertently created a work of art.

As art, it SPEAKS to me of being "road drunk" with fatigue, of getting confused by detours and construction zones, of becoming overwhelmed and all mixed up in my head as I'm trying to troubleshoot van system failures AND navigate solo across big parts of two countries at the same time.

It speaks to me because it references, in impressionistic form, some of the places that I have to drive through when I'm just plain tired.

Unfortunately, it will probably be taken down because of the safety issue it is causing in the local area. I copied the image, though, so that I could save it for posterity.

This is road art. I'm serious.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:58 AM   #149
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post

Mark
Ive got about 100k mikes of use. Nope, it’s a bad idea all around.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #150
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
These statements seem to contradict one another, at least in part.

I agree with you on the first statement - IF you happen to be driving a passenger vehicle. That's the way I drive my car - with the flow.

But speed limits in Texas are 75 mph throughout much of it now. 85 mph in West Texas. There is NO WAY for our rig to be other than an island in a stream under those conditions. We can't safely exceed 65 mph under most conditions. Speed is not dictated by traffic volume. It's dictated in significant measure by the physical parameters of the rig. There's no way to maintain space because traffic runs up our rear ends at 65 mph.
That’s why you have mirrors. Learn to manage overtaking traffic. If I have to cancel cruise and drop off 10+ mph, that’s better than having a pack form around me. Most of the time it’s easier than that.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #151
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Not at all. I leave plenty of space in front of me. I spent all too much time in clouds in 10 tons of fighter at 300 knots and 5 feet between my head and the tip tank of another fighter. Later, in the Reserves, I was flying 30 tons of C-119 or C-123 on the wing of another plane while dropping paratroops. I want plenty of space in front of me. I developed a fine-tuned distance detector from racing sailboats where fractions of a knot make a difference.

My CC adjustments are made to keep a good cushion between me and leading traffic. Doing in in small increments with the cruise control, in turn, minimizes disturbances in the flow behind me, another thing learned in formation flying. I get 1 mph with a tap on the CC stalk. My aim is to make only small corrections and that includes constantly analyzing the situation well out in front.

I have been driving for 72 years without accident except being rear-ended three times while stopped and side-swiped once when an 18-wheeler swerved out of his lane to avoid a road alligator while passing me while I was slowing in an exit lane. There is no noise in the world like all those protruding lug bolts grinding down the side of a car.

All you’ve said is that you like to create work for yourself. Your comfort level with a set amount of peripheral vision. More than that bothers you (in effect). To what good result? My father & I could also do what you describe and could from the beginning. A norm for us. So?

One-quarter to one-half mile is “adequate space “. Twice the distance to come to a full emergency stop including reaction time is a fair measure. 1500’?

Habits are about the inclusion of the unexpected. The driver is distracted, he is ill, emotionally upset . . all are possibilities. The habit should be inclusive.

Same for weather. Night time. A vacationer might opt out of driving on a bad day. And altogether avoid night driving. But training and practice should include those.

Habits predicated on the tired driver. In a lousy situation.

Vacation-driving ought to be friction-free.

As often as I see AS rigs in the left lane, middle of a pack trying to pass, trailer front axle bearing all the weight, it’s a wonder to me they persevere. Wrong TV, wrong WD, and wrong habits.

I’ve had Interstates try and pass me on blustery days across the Plains. Why? I’m running 67-mph. But they run right up on me and then can’t see around (gee, no kidding?).

The emotional side is unexplored. Rationalized away. Honesty demands something different.

I’ve suggested it before and will again:Until the operator has a handle on AVERAGE SPEED he won’t understand nearly all else about “best travel speed”.

It’s 50-mph or less with controlled breaks. Never crossing the plane of inadequate spacing. Volume does indeed control. And roads with hills and blind curves even more so.

Engine run time divided by miles. (Do it).

I’ve always enjoyed trying to visually follow an abandoned rail line. The markers. Do need some space to do this. This sort of pursuit is the reward. Or the changes in plant life, etc. The traveler. NOT THE COMMUTER.

Arrival time was set by departure time. Not travel speed.
Plan. Record. Reflect. Refine.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Knowing your average speed on a late model Interstate/Sprinter is easy since there is a dash display that does the calculation for you. I use 50 mph as my average speed for rough planning.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I've found averaging 50mph is a reasonable metric also.

Another guideline that works for us: at the morning start, put the planned destination into the GPS (and check that Garmin doesn't give you some silly route). Take the projected arrival time and add 2 hours to it. Works pretty well to allow for meals and fuel stops.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #154
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I've found averaging 50mph is a reasonable metric also.

Another guideline that works for us: at the morning start, put the planned destination into the GPS (and check that Garmin doesn't give you some silly route). Take the projected arrival time and add 2 hours to it. Works pretty well to allow for meals and fuel stops.
Hi

Garmin give you a silly route .... how unbelievable ....

I have seen more locked gates across roads thanks to Garmin than I would ever have thought existed in all of the US. Go 22 miles to get to a place 2 miles down the road... makes sense to Garmin .... seems to make sense very often ....

Bob
Old 10-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is **hilarious**. I was actually at this location around the time when this occurred, and I was driving our Interstate, but I had exited these mainlanes about 500 feet west of this train bridge, so I was not caught up in the resulting rubbernecking.

This is a good reminder of the fact that the only defensive option available to an Interstate is very hard straight-line braking. These rigs cannot swerve suddenly, so y'all better spot your runaway spools well in advance of having to take evasive action.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #156
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the things that a high off the ground vehicle can give you is a view down the road. Spotting "issues" (even if it's not a giant spool of stuff rolling your way) is a pretty important part of driving. I always wonder about people who seem to love chugging down the road 20' off the back bumper of a semi and totally blind to anything that might be coming their way ...

Bob
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #157

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Hi

One of the things that a high off the ground vehicle can give you is a view down the road. Spotting "issues" (even if it's not a giant spool of stuff rolling your way) is a pretty important part of driving. I always wonder about people who seem to love chugging down the road 20' off the back bumper of a semi and totally blind to anything that might be coming their way ...

Bob
But the semi will hit it first and they break slower. Plus my mileage improves
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
But the semi will hit it first and they break slower. Plus my mileage improves
MATTIRS - Yes, there is a lot to be said for this tactic. On multi-lane highways, I do not do this, since the semis will be usually slower than me
But I will admit, on the many 2 road 60-65mph roads in NV, CA, & UT (notorious for head-on collisions, esp at night), if I can observe the trucker is driving well & no indication of erratic driving (implying tired) & their speed is good enough for me, I will ride behind them the entire way. Not 20' as UNCLEBOB describe, but aways back to be able to peak around often. I may not get the full benefit of fuel-saving draft but I want that big truck to be my head-on collision shield and early warning device
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #159

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Alex- I too agree with you, sorry my irony didn't come through on the 20ft justification. When I do follow trucks I try to be 4 to 5 seconds behind you are right there still is plenty of draft benefit.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Was following a big rig in my GMC van conversion on a dark night on US395 heading for China Lake. We were heading north on a Sunday night during ski season. All of a sudden he took it off onto the shoulder, and I followed him, hard on the brakes like him. Just as we cleared the pavement some tired knucklehead in a Porsche with an empty ski rack on it flashed by in our lane, doing 90+, passing at least 20 cars in the southbound lane. Typical out there during the season. The trucker and I just sat there, he must have had the shakes as bad as I did. Fortunately we were the only ones heading north. Darn near had a laundry problem after that one. Too close.

I agree, following a big rig is not a bad idea. It was a darn fine idea that night. [emoji28]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote