Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I spent a few hours on a rainy I-75 in Florida yesterday.
I saw ahead what I took to be standing water in the road, and upon closer inspection it became an aluminum stepladder.
The best driver move, and it really wasn't his fault, around Sarasota the traffic was going about 20 mph at 4 pm. The car in front of me saw an opening and moved right. At the same time another lane saw the same opening and moved left. Oops. So the car in front of me darted back into my lane.
I did a quick stab of the brakes and for the first time ever heard "eerrrr" as a trailer wheel locked up on the damp pavement. I find in stop and go traffic the electric brakes get 'grabby' at walking speeds. Then I go to shifting manually, often in 1 or 2.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
The California coast is really not that bad in a Sprinter based RV, anything larger and it might be a challenge. The San Diego to santa Monica portion is almost like driving in the city with the attendant traffic.We prefer Malibu north staying as close to, or on highway 1 as possible. Missing guardrails and roadwork aside the scenery is world class and not to be missed.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #183
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The Interstate's only real evasive maneuver is hard straight-line braking. But what if you are in a construction zone with concrete barriers on both sides, no shoulders, two non-regulation narrow lanes, and wall-to-wall traffic backed up behind you, when something happens?

That was my scenario yesterday when this happened -- but fortunately I was in my Sienna rather than in the Interstate. If I had been in the Interstate, there is NO QUESTION that I would have received heavy damage to the under-chassis components (plumbing lines, propane lines, exhaust train, etc.).

The truck in this pic below has 18 wheels but only 17 tires. Where the red arrow points, you can see that only a small portion of the 18th tire's sidewall continues to cling to the rim.

The 18th tire basically ended up in my face, in the form of several huge chunks. It proceeded under the chassis and I had no means of evasion in that situation. In my rear view mirror, I watched as car after car after car also slammed into those pieces, one after another.

A sobering reminder that sometimes collisions cannot be avoided.

I had to wait until I got out of the barrier zone and into a clear stretch of freeway before I could get this pic.

Happens all the time.

How close were you? 300-ft plus? Unless the wheel comes off, in this distance thereís time for chunks to land. To stop.

Closer, and . . . ?

Remember, thatís the minimum

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #184
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
207 miles this morning with the Fiesta in tow. Sunday mornings are a great time to travel; light traffic and most folks are in not much of a hurry.

With the tow car, my limit is 65 mph. Most of the morning, the cruise control was on 65. I might hit 70 very briefly in a passing situation, but it did not happen today. Most of my route, this morning, had a 70 to 75 limit. Running on the paved shoulder is legal in Texas, but I am not about to shower the Fiesta with loose gravel. My DPS friend discourages running on the shoulder and I will not do it if I can stay at a reasonable speed.

In the 200+ miles today, I was never tailgated, although much of the route was 2 lanes. Other traffic would wait at a reasonable interval for the passing lanes that occur every 2 to 4 miles.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, it’s the holidays, and many people were on the roads as they headed toward their destinations.

Among the many atrocities I encountered yesterday was this full-sized bale of hay sitting smack in a lane of U.S. 190 through the eastern half of Texas. My Owlcam is currently serving me only low-res images, probably because I have such poor cell service in my current area, and that messes with its primitive brain, but you can tell that this is a 4-lane highway here, and this is occupying the actual lane. It’s not sitting on the shoulder.

AND it was in the shadows. One could miss it, if one were not paying attention.

I was aware that someone was following me in this lane in my curbside blind spot. I slammed on my brakes and lay on the horn as the best actions I could think of to warn that other driver (scaring the crap out of my husband in the process). They’d hear the horn and if they saw ME brake, then they might be inclined to mimic my action, if their brain was not otherwise processing that with which they were about to collide.

There wasn’t much else we could do about this except leave the bale there and hope that nobody got killed before one of the locals hauled it off. It was Christmas Eve, and the area is intensely rural. I couldn’t risk venturing down any unknown dirt roads in the area with an un-turntable Interstate for the purposes of maybe finding someone who could deal with it.

Moral of this story: pay attention. You never know what you’ll see in the roadway next.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #186
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
About 20 years ago, I was on the interstate a few miles south of St. Louis in heavy fog at about 6 in the morning, pulling my 19' Scamp gooseneck (they call it a 5th-wheel). There was almost no traffic. I heard a garbled transmission on the CB and I could make out the words right lane and ladder.

Fortunately, I moved over to the left lane. Just then, I passed a 15' or 20' extension ladder laying diagonally across the right lane. I didn't see it until I was within 20 feet of it. No way I could stop, even at the 15 or 20 mph I was moving. Stopping would have been an open invitation to be rear-ended. I put out a warning on my CB and just kept rolling.

BTW: with that round bale on its side, a couple of people could have rolled it off the traffic lane on that hard surface. I used to roll round bales by myself on the concrete floor in my barn. They are very heavy, but a good round bale is firm enough to roll.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #187
Tomb Jr

Currently Looking...
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Troy , Michigan
Alex AVI, I noticed you have a neat wiring setup for your devices. I am looking at getting a 4K front camera dashcam due to the number of crazies on the road keep going up. I have a 2019 ASI and am looking to hard wire it to be able to use the parking mode. I'm guessing you may have done it yourself based on the picture you posted. Did you have any issues with routing the cable to the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side.
tompamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:26 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
BTW: with that round bale on its side, a couple of people could have rolled it off the traffic lane on that hard surface. I used to roll round bales by myself on the concrete floor in my barn. They are very heavy, but a good round bale is firm enough to roll.
Stopping on the highway is a good way to get killed. I don’t even like doing it in a fully marked and lighted emergency vehicle. Make the call and let the professionals handle it.

I always cringe when I see people changing a tire on the shoulder of the freeway. Drive to the exit. The rim is already toast.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On our way to Nova Scotia over a month ago, we were forced to engage in the largest overland diversion that I have ever attempted, due to a closure of IH-81 northbound. I don’t know what I would have done without my husband guiding me - he had to interrupt his work in order to plot an alternate route, which was complicated. It took us about 40 minutes to circumnavigate it on the backroads of Virginia.

Remarkably, Instagram served me video footage of that very same crash this evening. Coincidence, or more cell phone monitoring and algorithmic association? I don’t know, but I did confirm via news reports the footage is of that incident.

Take a look at it, because chain-reaction crashes that are this bad are rare, so it’s a learning experience. Thankfully we were behind it, and not in it. There were two fatalities. The vid should be accessible via this link even if you are not an IG user:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDjXvJr...=16zdsg01ugb2l
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote