Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
5 days? Wow. We get 24 hours. Our city has an ordinance for cars parked on the street. There's a maximum of 48 hours, but our HOA says 24 hours for anything parked in front of your house. Cars are usually ignored unless there are complaints but RVs or travel trailers are limited to 24 hours. I've gotten a couple of HOA nasty-grams. [I have considered what they would do if I parked in front of a neighbor's house down the street. ]

They also have rules about just moving the vehicle in an attempt to bypass the 24 hour restriction. You can't park it in the driveway either, not that the driveways are long enough for that anyway. You can't park anything in the grass.

Like someone said in an earlier post, you knew (or should have known) what you were getting into when you bought in the subdivision. I wish we had 5 days or even 2-3. It would make packing for a trip a lot easier.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Interstate and HOA

I can almost promise that you get a complaint from some envious 'twit'.

Check you HOA rules carefully...is it 5 days per month cumulative, or 5 days without being moved? If the latter, then just be sure to drive it once a week.

I have a neghbor that drives a Sprinter as a daily driver...no problem. I have another with an Interstate (also a Sprinter), and they insist he is an RV.

HOA leadership is usually retirees and housewives/househusbands with not enough to do and often feel 'empowered' by their office. I find most of them laughable, but they have the "Association" that stands behind them. In a few cases they are reasonable professionals that have to respond to the complaint originating from someone as described.

I wonder about the argument that says having a $170K Mercedes Benz vehicle parked in your driveway "detracts from the property". I'd be a lot more concerned about the $2,500 Chevy! (just say'n)

Good luck

Pirate Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjacob View Post
I am strongly interested in the Interstate Class B, as that would fit my retired life-style. We are living in a new housing development with HOA rules. Those R&R's indicate that RV's are not allowed to be parked for more than 5 days per month.

Give the beautiful finishing with minimal badging and the fact that the Interstate's driver's side heating and refrigerator vents, etc. have really been minimized over the past few model years, I have this question for those with EXPERIENCE in parking an Interstate within a HOA.

I would like to park my Interstate, if I bought one, in front of my house. Can't fit it in the garage, or I would gladly do that. If challenged, I would petition the HOA that the vehicle is a 5-9 passenger daily driver. In fact, I would use the vehicle often to ensure that all systems are ready to go and the fuel never becomes stale.

Has anyone had luck winning over their HOA to make exceptions to their no-RV-Parking rules with their Interstate? I am naturally considering alternate options, such as off-site storage, or even downsizing to a small teardrop trailer that would fit in my garage. But, I am much more enthusiastic about the Class B lifestyle and would like to make that work if I can.

I would love to hear from those who have experience in this topic; but those who simply have opinions about every topic need not muddy up the discussion.

Many thanks in advance
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have heard all the myriad hollow arguments in support of HOAs and if I'm never subject to another one it'll be 10 years too soon.

I helped lead a rebellion against a bad one and learned from that lesson, it was the first thing we told the realtor when we later moved to another city: "We don't want an HOA."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It all depends on how the majority feel. In our subdivision we had restriction requiring all roofs bemade of wood shakes. After a couple of fires almost took the neighborhood, owners refused to re-roof with shakes. That requirement died a natural death. Now there are no wood shake roof around.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even if it all seems to work fine and everybody says "yes sure", unless the rules are formally changed .... watch out. Along comes the next election and in comes the "new crowd" at that point everything changes and out your RV goes. Next step may be to (retroactively) fine you for the "excess days" yours has been in the area.

Once the fine hits, in most states, HOA's have a terrible time collecting money for anything. Unless you plan on moving out soon ... you might just ignore the fine. There are a lot of people who get fed up with HOA's and simply stop paying dues .... Yes that's *really* weird and I'm sure is dependent on state law ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
It all depends on how the majority feel. In our subdivision we had restriction requiring all roofs bemade of wood shakes. After a couple of fires almost took the neighborhood, owners refused to re-roof with shakes. That requirement died a natural death. Now there are no wood shake roof around.
guskmg
Had similar experience in a small, older 1970s HOA development in Virginia. The board refused to approve vinyl siding because two lawyers on the board thought the homes needed to maintain their original look - which was cheap T-11 plywood siding. They left neighborhood and approvals for vinyl siding started. Before long almost all homes had new vinyl siding and neighborhood looked great.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg
I frequently took visitors to Williamsburg, VA when they had any interest in colonial History. One day we cut through a colonial garden to our parking lot and saw a pile of shakes... cast in cement to look like cedar. In the local high humidity they grew moss once installed on the roofs. The cost to replace historic inns and private homes in the area made having cedar shakes prohibitive. I never realized that the shakes were fakes for years. Of course even the historic jakes (outhouses) were either sheds or have flush facilities in them.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
I had my ext lounge parked on the street in front of my winter home for about 6 weeks, driving it 2-3 times a week when the law knocked on our door and told me I couldn’t park there more than 72 hours because it has a toilet and kitchen fscilities. I then parked it in my driveway. Some weeks later I got a letter from the HOA saying I couldn’t “store it” on my property. I appealed, saying it wasn’t “stored”, that it is my 2d car, has 8 passenger seats, and that I drive it regularly. They wrote a 2d letter saying basically the same as the 1st, and I again appealed. Finally, got a 3D, and final, letter saying penalties would be assessed I’d it were not removed within 30 days. I believe some HOAs would approve it but mine won’t so we will have to find sto4age this winter - which has me PO’d since one of the main reasons I bought it was because it is a passenger van first, modified for limited camping.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #29
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodywelman View Post
which has me PO’d since one of the main reasons I bought it was because it is a passenger van first, modified for limited camping.
MOODYWELMAN - I agree it is a passenger van first and empathize as an AI owner myself, but's that's how most class B's all start from. It does not matter what it was first, it only matters what it is now. Hard to argue with an HOA that has "no-rv-extended-parking-on-driveway" rule when the "van" have these 3 logos - Airstream, RVIA Motorhome, and CertifiedGreenRVs.com (as prominently displayed on mine), not to mention awning and all the utility cutouts. The same exact Sprinter "van" straight out of the MB delaer lot without any of those will have no issues in my HOA, won't even get a 1st letter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_072012.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	352225  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Our winter home is in Mesa, AZ. I used the exact same arguments you described and, after two appeals, lost. We will have to put in storage this winter which denies me the use of it as a second car. I’m not happy about it but it is what it is. I hope i5 turns out better for you..
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For what it’s worth, the same city ordinance rationale applies to parking mine in my driveway between 11/1 and April 1....that it has a toilet and kitchen.

I pay year round for a spot in the storage facility closest to me, so that I then have one and don’t find myself on a wait list in the fall, only to have the only available spot be in a facility the other side of town.

Part of the privilege of having our beautiful rigs, I figure.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
😅

😂

🤣
Luftstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #33

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Shoreview , Minnesota
Do the right thing

The right thing to do is store it off site. That is part of the cost of ownership. As well, even though you could attempt to work around the HOA rules that you agreed to, you would be going against the intent of the rules. The intent of the rules is likely to keep up the overall curb appeal, and therefore keep up the property value. And then, there is being a good neighbor.
Kennepede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Even if it all seems to work fine and everybody says "yes sure", unless the rules are formally changed .... watch out. Along comes the next election and in comes the "new crowd" at that point everything changes and out your RV goes. Next step may be to (retroactively) fine you for the "excess days" yours has been in the area.

Once the fine hits, in most states, HOA's have a terrible time collecting money for anything. Unless you plan on moving out soon ... you might just ignore the fine. There are a lot of people who get fed up with HOA's and simply stop paying dues .... Yes that's *really* weird and I'm sure is dependent on state law ....

Bob
uncle bob....not paying your common charges or fines may be tolerated by your HOA for awhile. But they will get you when you try to sell your unit and you find out that the HOA have put a lien on your property for everything you owe them. They will get their money.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Hoa?????

My suggestion is to immediately move. HOA's are notorious for imbecilic behavior by power hungry individuals demanding you do exactly like them... to the letter! Sooner or later, you will wish you had moved.... just do it now!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Conroe , TX
I am on the board of a HOA and I suggest you go to them and ask what there definition of a RV is without talking about the Interstate. Being a board member for several years I have found that HOA Deed restrictions don't change with the times. An example can't operate a business from your home. What that means is you can't have customers come to your house for business, however that does't mean you can't work from home have an internet business or home office like a realtor would have. Vehicles have changed also. they don't make the large transport vans any longer. now you see the interstate like vans by MB and ford that transport passengers or cargo. Just find out what they say a RV is and get it in writing.
Lost4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread, another reason why you might want to garage your Interstate off-site is for protection from crime, not just protection from weather degradation and HOA backlash.

I woke up this morning to discover that our local police department had tried to reach me multiple times during the night, and they left a voice message at 5 a.m. (my phone was on silent). It seems that a vehicle was stolen from our cul-de-sac and, while investigating, they noticed we have exterior cameras that may have captured evidence of the crime. So they want me to pull the footage.

We live in a prosperous subdivision across a field from our local police station, a typical bedroom community full of professional people. But of course the socioeconomic status of such an area is no protection - the crime never stops. There have been at least a half-dozen times when I've breathed a sigh of relief that our Interstate was not here at the time when some crime was committed - last night was just the latest. If you have the nicest-looking vehicle in your area and a criminal is on the hunt for valuable things, then you will be a very high target on their list.

Here's a map of vehicle break-ins last year, in our city of about 100,000. These are just reported break-ins, not other crimes such as theft of the entire vehicle. And of course, many people don't bother to report their break-ins if the value of stolen items or broken windows is too low to make it worth the trouble. This map outlines the city limits quite nicely:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost4 View Post
I am on the board of a HOA and I suggest you go to them and ask what there definition of a RV is without talking about the Interstate. Being a board member for several years I have found that HOA Deed restrictions don't change with the times. An example can't operate a business from your home. What that means is you can't have customers come to your house for business, however that does't mean you can't work from home have an internet business or home office like a realtor would have. Vehicles have changed also. they don't make the large transport vans any longer. now you see the interstate like vans by MB and ford that transport passengers or cargo. Just find out what they say a RV is and get it in writing.
Hi

Oh, I wish the "get it in writing" thing always worked. Unfortunately I very much seen a couple of situations where that was very much not the case. Yes it was very ugly. The "old crooked lying bunch of idiots" board was thrown out and in came the "new honest reasonable board". Yes lawyers were in involved in each case. Bottom line was that absolutely *nothing* done or said by the previous board was honored by the "new guys" as part of their "cleanup of the situation".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Before you check things with the HOA, prepare. I have represented clients who had problems with an overeager HOA board and preparation was essential. You have to read the HOA Declarations and check state and local law before talking to anyone. But understanding what the Decs and law mean may be difficult. Is a Class B an RV or a daily driver may be way to get around the rules. Of course, someone may claim a giant Class A is a daily driver, but that would be going too far.

I think there is some truth that neighborhood busybodies tend to run for HOA boards and have a somewhat puritanical view of what people are suppose to be like. I have had to deal with HOA’s that claimed jurisdiction over city or country roads. The problem sometimes is that the HOA does not have professional management, or the so-called pros ignore their own rules or the law. Some states have strict rules making sure HOA’s have due process when they try to discipline you.

So you have to be knowledgeable about state and local law, HOA Decs and how the courts interpret them, identify whether your vehicle can be classified as something other than an RV (hard to do, but checking state law may provide an alternate definition], is the handicapped argument sensible (can you have a handicapped parking space in front of your house if you have a legitimate need?), does the HOA obey all state laws regarding HOA’s and are their processes done according to law and regulations. Lots of legal and practical questions to answer. My experience is that HOA’s are very sloppy about the law and their own rules.

So I would prepare by learning all that in advance. Then go to the HOA and talk to them. If it has professional management you may find them more reasonable about grey areas of law. It is possible to change HOA rules, but usually only in theory. Colorado passed strict laws regulating HOA’s several years ago because too many times HOA’s were arrogant and violated their own and state rules. I believe they also made it easier to change the Decs regardless what the Decs said.

The possibility of challenging the rules because of spotty or lack of enforcement can be made. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There is authority that contract provisions not enforced will eventually lapse, but you will have to prove the poor enforcement was for quite some time and this is a pretty subjective area and hard to pin down. You will also have to look at caselaw to see how such contracts as HOA Decs are treated in your state.

My experience challenging HOA’s was that when confronted with violations of law or their own regulations, they folded very fast. But you have to make a good argument for your case. Nobody wants to hire a lawyer (or a car mechanic or anyone else that doesn’t work for free), but sometimes it is the best way to get something straightened out.

When we were looking to move, I did check everything possible to make sure we would have no problems with RV’s. I prefer to avoid areas with HOA’s. The area we moved to has a defunct HOA and people were violating the rules anyway. There were only about 10 properties in each HOA (something like 7 or 8 different filings each has their own HOA) and nobody seems to care much, The lots are 5 to 40 acres, so there is far less reason for conflict. We’ve never met some of our neighbors. This was acceptable to us. I also suspect the treasurer of the HOA stole about $1,000 when she and her husband divorced, but that happened before we were here and there are no dues, so I don’t care. Someday someone will try to revive the HOA and I will run for the board so I can make sure nothing crazy happens.

I note that some posts argue that you knew the rules when you bought the property and so stop complaining, or move or buy the subdivision. Not everyone’s life is so planned they know what they will be doing in a few years—like buying an RV. A quick reading of the Decs when buying is not going to give you the best notice of them or state and local law. It seems unfair to expect everyone to know the law about everything. Moving is difficult and expensive. And, buying the subdivision is just a silly thing to suggest.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Gene - very good post and advice. Knowing all the laws is important.

Our HOA had a rule that solar panels on roofs must not be visable from street/public areas. Then one solar company got their lawyer involved and challenged the HOA as the State law had changed and now said HOAs could not restrict the installation of solar panels in any way. The HOA folded and our rules were updated.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote