Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #581
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
jerhofer: What exhaust tip did you use?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #582
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Jerhofer

Where did you get the chrome covers from?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #583
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My searching abilities must be limited.......I know someone posted information about the Onyx laminate material along with the countertop materials.......cannot locate the posting! If someone has that information could they post it again....thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #584
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
jerhofer: What exhaust tip did you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Jerhofer

Where did you get the chrome covers from?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
The exhaust tip is by Gibson. I found it on eBay.
Gibson 500376 Polished T304 Stainless Polished Stainless Steel Tip

The chrome covers came from EuroCampers.

2007 - 2015 Sprinter Chrome Door Handles 4 piece Kit

2007 - 2015 Sprinter 2pc Stainless Steel Chrome Mirror Cover Set
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #585
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
We were not using the rear TV and I was bumping my head on it getting in and out of the bed so I removed it. My wife was not happy with the various mirror arrangements we had tried for her to put her makeup on. With the TV removed, a possible space for a mirror was available. I found a mirror on eBay and finally got around to installing it today.

After having her try various locations for the mirror, it was decided that mounting it low on the side of the wardrobe cabinet was the best option. She could either sit on the rear sofa or use the driver's side seat. After mounting the mirror, the next goal was to keep it from flopping around. I found a knob and a 1/4-20 stud at Lowe's and was able to use one of the existing TV mount holes. To keep the rotating mirror from causing noise, I simply draped a microfiber towel over it.

We camped for a couple days this weekend in the western NC mountain area. This was the first time my wife used our newly installed mirror. She loved it. It worked well for her to sit on the rear sofa to do her hair and makeup as she could lay out all of her things on the side seat beneath the wardrobe cabinet. Happy wife, happy life!!!

I also took Protag's advice about the cabinet bumper pads. Worked great!!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #586
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bellevue , Washington
Wilsonart Model # MC-3X57949K18 Asian Night with Linearity.
not sure about counter top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
My searching abilities must be limited.......I know someone posted information about the Onyx laminate material along with the countertop materials.......cannot locate the posting! If someone has that information could they post it again....thank you in advance.

s2kysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #587
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
How hard would it be to change the rear lounge over to a set of two lengthwise couches facing one another and folding down to form the bed? I'm not loving the enclosed feel at the back end.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #588
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j View Post
How hard would it be to change the rear lounge over to a set of two lengthwise couches facing one another and folding down to form the bed? I'm not loving the enclosed feel at the back end.
Hi, Rosie. Your profile shows you as a trailer owner... did you buy an Interstate or were you thinking of doing so? If so, what year are we talking about? That matters for addressing your question.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #589
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Sorry for the double reply - I just saw your similar question on the Roadtrek thread. Apparently you are thinking of buying an Interstate but I didn't see a preferred year stated.

If you are considering one of the older T1N Interstates, there already is a model that has two jackknife couches in the rear - that's the model my husband and I own, and I would not trade it for anything. One apparent upside of this model is that its gross weight is low enough so that having four side-facing seatbelts in the rear (two on each side as Airstream installed) is legal. One downside of this model is that they seem to come on the market only rarely (I see none right now on RV Trader, eBay, or PPL).

If you are considering a newer, larger Interstate, there is a model that has longitudinal twin beds and someone else also recently asked about potentially replacing lounge seating with jack knife couches. However we had this discussion about seat belts on another thread... apparently they can't be side-facing in a vehicle that large, hence 73shark's brief comment on the other thread. So theoretically you could get the bed / couch arrangement you want but at the expense of seating capacity.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #590
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Hi, Rosie. Your profile shows you as a trailer owner... did you buy an Interstate or were you thinking of doing so? If so, what year are we talking about? That matters for addressing your question.
Thanks Interblog. Looking at late model lounge units, '12-15 ...
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #591
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pasadena , California
New Owner

I'm still waiting for delivery of my 2016 Lounge EXT with air suspension (hopefully in about 2 weeks!), but wanted to plan for the mods, so thank you all for contributing to this thread.

Here are my planned upgrades:
1. One of the things I wanted to do was add my communication radios: CB as well as Ham radio. I had a question about the roof of these vehicles. Are they steel roofs? Some of the antennas require a steel surface to act as a ground plane, so this would be important to know.
2. Solar panel upgrade: Has anyone added an additional solar panel to the existing 100watt panel (to get to 200 or 300 watts). Did you choose a particular brand/model for this? Any mounting/installation issues to be aware of? Do you know the charge controller capacity (as far as how much more power can be added via panels?)
3. I'm going to upgrade speakers as some of you have done.
4. Addition of a wifi hotspot
5. Cellphone signal booster
6. Security system: Viper vs. Drone
7. Aux LED driving lights, etc.

Thanks! Can't wait to be part of the Airstream Interstate family!
John
jsc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #592
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Interblog. Looking at late model lounge units, '12-15 ...
FYI there's a 2013 AI twin on eBay right now... it says 6 hours left on auction but I just got flagged on it today I think, so the seller might be running an ultra-short fishing expedition.

Airstream Interstate Class B Diesel RV motorhome Twin Beds Like New | eBay
Old 08-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #593
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc168 View Post
I'm still waiting for delivery of my 2016 Lounge EXT with air suspension (hopefully in about 2 weeks!), but wanted to plan for the mods, so thank you all for contributing to this thread.

Here are my planned upgrades:
1. One of the things I wanted to do was add my communication radios: CB as well as Ham radio. I had a question about the roof of these vehicles. Are they steel roofs? Some of the antennas require a steel surface to act as a ground plane, so this would be important to know.
2. Solar panel upgrade: Has anyone added an additional solar panel to the existing 100watt panel (to get to 200 or 300 watts). Did you choose a particular brand/model for this? Any mounting/installation issues to be aware of? Do you know the charge controller capacity (as far as how much more power can be added via panels?)
3. I'm going to upgrade speakers as some of you have done.
4. Addition of a wifi hotspot
5. Cellphone signal booster
7. Aux LED driving lights, etc.

Thanks! Can't wait to be part of the Airstream Interstate family!
John
Welcome to the airforums.

1. Yes
2. Short answer is yes. There are several instances and threads on this forum where people have added extra solar panels.

Can't wait to hear how the air suspension works out for you.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #594
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc168 View Post
Yes, they are steel. But they're cluttered as well, more so if you add more solar panels. And much of the roof is corrugated for strength. Only the very front (above the front doors) is smooth and flat. Luckily the only thing in that area right now is the Sirius antenna directly over the driver's seat. If you don't plan to use the Sirius system, you could remove that antenna and install your own there, and use that roof penetration for your antennas.
Quote:
If you upgrade by adding panels, you will need a new charge controller. And you may need to rewire all the way to the batteries; Airstream uses the smallest wire gauge they can get away with and you'll need something larger to carry the higher wattage.
Quote:
Either one is good. I went with Viper mainly because after my Kenwood/Garmin head unit was stolen, the installer that my Airstream dealer contracted to install the new one also happened to be an authorized Viper installer so I could get the security system installed at the same time the damage was being repaired. He didn't handle Drone systems, but if he did I'd have had trouble making up my mind between the two.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #595
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Just yesterday I completed removal of 50W and installation of two Grape Star 100W and Blue Sky Energy 2512ix0HV. Long axis of both panels is perpendicular to van centerline. Both are shifted towards road side such that edge are bolted to the roof rail. Other side uses sticky feet affixed to roof. Seems very very solid. Length of panel leaves front one about 1" roadside of the bath vent. Back one is just rear of A/C and antenna is relocated to top of A/C. Had local sheet metal shop fabricate new stainless steel brackets and put piece of sheet metal on underside of AC cover to spread the load. I used the roof access fitting of the original panel. Combined the two panels with MC IV connect and ran the two MC IV 10 ga wires through the fitting. Connected them to new 8 ga wire in the access box above the galley and ran this new wire to the controller that is in the inverter area. IPN Pro remote is in the control panel area. The electical area is now even more of a rats nest that it was before. I'll post pictures if/when I figure out how to do so. Haven't done any camping to see how it works in practice - but seemed great in the driveway. 8.4A out of panel converted to 10.0A by the MPPT - and battery was already mostly charged. Even more amp-up will occur at lower state of battery charge.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #596
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Pictures? Sounds like a great mod.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #597
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Sounds like a great project Titus.....I took the cowards way out for now. Just replacing the 50 with the 100 from Grape Solar. No wire to run through the van on that task. When I get the nerve to start pulling interior panels, I may step up. So far just haven't looked to see how the interior panels are mounted inside the vehicle.....always concerned about snapping a fastener or clip somewhere.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #598
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Tried to upload a 500 k pdf file (10 M is said to be the limit) with pictures and all the gory details of my solar upgrade and the upload failed. Any ideas?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #599
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Tried to upload a 500 k pdf file (10 M is said to be the limit) with pictures and all the gory details of my solar upgrade and the upload failed. Any ideas?

Upload your photos to Photobucket or similar and then copy and paste the "IMG" file to your post.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #600
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Actually, removing the upper lockers is not very difficult. Take off the doors first. Then simply remove the screws on the side and top, and have someone else hold the cabinet as it comes free. It's just screwed on with about dozen or so screws.

I removed the street side upper locker to run a new video cable. You have to be careful with the rope light, that runs on top of the locker. For that reason, you can't really remove it all the way, but rather, have someone hold it while you run the cable. It's not as scary as you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Sounds like a great project Titus.....I took the cowards way out for now. Just replacing the 50 with the 100 from Grape Solar. No wire to run through the van on that task. When I get the nerve to start pulling interior panels, I may step up. So far just haven't looked to see how the interior panels are mounted inside the vehicle.....always concerned about snapping a fastener or clip somewhere.