Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #521
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just a reminder, particularly for those of us with older rigs...

Our propane hoses need to be replaced periodically, to avoid potentially disastrous leaks that can also occur at the most inopportune times.

A cautionary tale...be safe.

Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
As a thread refresher, here is my replacement step-by-step. I had the four flex lines custom fabricated to the recommended spec, but we did the installation ourselves.
MAGGIE , INTERBLOG - Thanks You both. Good stuff. Did not know this stepxstep existed, it was before my join date. Glad you both re-surfaced this fix.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #522
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
May we reiterate as well that this just boggles my mind, that there is not an entire formal framework in place to alert owners to the need for this replacement (such as bulletins from Airstream or something similar) -- especially given that the hoses are *designed* with a finite lifespan, partially by virtue of their fail-safe pressure construction (per the manufacturer Parker).

How many times do we have to hear from owners who caught line failures before their rigs went up in a fireball? Someone is going to get injured or killed, and then the resulting civil suit will trigger a change in attitude and procedure. It's a shame that it has to come to litigation and damages, but that's the typical pattern.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #523
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
May we reiterate as well that this just boggles my mind, that there is not an entire formal framework in place to alert owners to the need for this replacement (such as bulletins from Airstream or something similar) -- especially given that the hoses are *designed* with a finite lifespan, partially by virtue of their fail-safe pressure construction (per the manufacturer Parker).

How many times do we have to hear from owners who caught line failures before their rigs went up in a fireball? Someone is going to get injured or killed, and then the resulting civil suit will trigger a change in attitude and procedure. It's a shame that it has to come to litigation and damages, but that's the typical pattern.
INTERBLOG - Do you think stainless steel braided hoses will help or would that just have disintegrated rubber hose under it? This is my 1st exposure (no pun intended) to constantly exposed propane lines, so no idea what would actually be the cause of the limited lifespan. I have only used portables that get stored
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71w92KPHvkL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	348971   Click image for larger version

Name:	614nlnGACxL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	348972  

Old 08-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #524
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - Do you think stainless steel braided hoses will help or would that just have disintegrated rubber hose under it? This is my 1st exposure (no pun intended) to constantly exposed propane lines, so no idea what would actually be the cause of the limited lifespan. I have only used portables that get stored
I could not get any official traction on answering that exact type of question.

I, too, wanted to put more robust hoses on our van, but I was told by several vendors, including the authorized Parker representative who fabricated our new ones, that the hoses that were put on there to start with are a spec designed to be appropriate for that application, and to guard against overpressure explosions. The hoses are supposed to fail "gently" if accidentally subjected to excess pressure, rather than blowing someone's head off in the process.

Unfortunately that same built-in weakness is also what limits their lifespan.

OR SO I WAS TOLD. It's important to note that this information came to me by various word-of-mouth. I've got nothing official in writing to back any of it up at this point.

Bottom line: Because the application in the camper van context called for "explosion-proof" hoses, nobody was willing to touch my question about what my alternatives might have been. Too much liability in even discussing it.

So, as a result, I don't know what else in the way of hoses could possibly be used safely on these rigs. I went with the same Parker spec hoses as what had been placed on there by Airstream years before.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #525
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Bottom line: Because the application in the camper van context called for "explosion-proof" hoses, nobody was willing to touch my question about what my alternatives might have been. Too much liability in even discussing it.
INTERBLOG - Got it. That does make sense. I did browse Parker site and there doesn't appear to be anything with other external reinforcing materials , even those made for commercial use.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #526
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:

I bought MY interstate with a failed high pressure propane line. That was, I'm sure, part of the reason I got such a steal on it. It is, of course, replaced now. The low-pressure lines aren't AS big a risk as they can be shut down with the tank valve until they can be replaced. And, they seem to last much longer. When the high-pressure line between the fill valve and the tank goes, you lose 7 gallons of propane all at once. NOT a good place to be at all.

I ALSO had two propane appliance valves that were leaking; the water heater and the furnace, and the furnace was venting propane into the cabin. Thank God for propane sensors.

Anyway, the propane system in mine is up to snuff again now... almost $1500 later and three trips to US Adventure RV in Davenport.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #527
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I ALSO had two propane appliance valves that were leaking; the water heater and the furnace, and the furnace was venting propane into the cabin. Thank God for propane sensors.
85MH325 -You must be living right, coz you very lucky to catch it. I was even thinking of a redundant propane sensor before my stuff gets too old & be able to sleep better.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #528
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
85MH325 -You must be living right, coz you very lucky to catch it. I was even thinking of a redundant propane sensor before my stuff gets too old & be able to sleep better.
I hope the rest of y'all are in nota bene mode here. In other words, I hope you are taking this issue seriously. It's not if these lines are going to fail - it's when, if they are left in place for a sufficiently long interval of time. Which equates to plus-or-minus right about now, if you are a T1N Interstate owner. There's certainly enough evidence to support that conclusion. That evidence is anecdotal, but it's strong and consistent.

I have a pet peeve with senseless injuries and premature deaths from all causes. Not only does this make no sense in the context of the self, it places a tremendous burden on loved ones and society. If we take every reasonable precaution not to make burdens of ourselves and something bad happens, well, that's just life and we cannot be blamed. But if we ignore or deny risks and then end up dead or injured, that is the ultimate affront to the entire world. There's no integrity in it.

I'm sitting about 10 feet from my almost-83-year-old father as I type this. He asked me a long time ago what I would most like from him, as a father. I said, "Just keep living well; everything else is secondary." He's eating his granola and pineapple. And then later today, he'll religiously do his exercise, and engage in the rest of his healthy lifestyle. That's what I wanted. Nothing else is important, really.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #529
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I hope the rest of y'all are in nota bene mode here. In other words, I hope you are taking this issue seriously. It's not if these lines are going to fail - it's when, if they are left in place for a sufficiently long interval of time. Which equates to plus-or-minus right about now, if you are a T1N Interstate owner. There's certainly enough evidence to support that conclusion. That evidence is anecdotal, but it's strong and consistent.

I have a pet peeve with senseless injuries and premature deaths from all causes. Not only does this make no sense in the context of the self, it places a tremendous burden on loved ones and society. If we take every reasonable precaution not to make burdens of ourselves and something bad happens, well, that's just life and we cannot be blamed. But if we ignore or deny risks and then end up dead or injured, that is the ultimate affront to the entire world. There's no integrity in it.

I'm sitting about 10 feet from my almost-83-year-old father as I type this. He asked me a long time ago what I would most like from him, as a father. I said, "Just keep living well; everything else is secondary." He's eating his granola and pineapple. And then later today, he'll religiously do his exercise, and engage in the rest of his healthy lifestyle. That's what I wanted. Nothing else is important, really.
What's the link to your blog on hose replacement? I found the tank article and another talking about someone else's hose issue but can't find yours. Lily and Me had to replace a hose recently after the high pressure hose split right after silling the tank.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #530
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the things I am still learning is the need to have specific systems...like the propane...examined, rather than trusting the mechanic underneath who you ask to “please take a good look at everything” to actually look at everything under there.

And then, of course, report to you anything that seems to need attention.

Tho I am highly claustrophobic, and do not get under vehicles , I am seriously thinking of getting under there myself just to see what I can see.

Or, get in the pit at the next service appointment, and look from there while everything is visually accessible.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #531
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
TINCAMPERS - Post #520 or click her "here" above
Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #532
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
TINCAMPERS - Post #520 or click her "here" above
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #533
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Or, get in the pit at the next service appointment, and look from there while everything is visually accessible. Maggie
My local Mercedes shop, who I really like, invited me into the shop with my 2014.5 on the lift and gave me a tour of all the OEM parts under there. They gave me time to look at the tanks and propane systems.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I was claustrophobic from about September to December 2014. Then I acclimated myself to being under the Interstate. Ramps help tremendously.

There's nothing that makes itself apparent visually with the propane hoses. They appear to just fail spontaneously, without showing signs of wear.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #535
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I was claustrophobic from about September to December 2014. Then I acclimated myself to being under the Interstate. Ramps help tremendously.

There's nothing that makes itself apparent visually with the propane hoses. They appear to just fail spontaneously, without showing signs of wear.
So, what kind of facility made up the new hoses? I’ve been looking but can’t anything local in Knoxville.

I have been suffering from claustrophobia for a number of years. Getting on an airplane was a real struggle. Even today laying on my back under the Interstate gives me pause. This has been going on since Y2K. It is slowly getting better.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you would need to get on the phone and call around, to find a place that could make these hoses.

Some shop that can construct a part, like the one the folks at home found when mine split.

They mentioned there were two places locally that used to make them, but no longer does because of liability.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2019, 04:01 AM   #537
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Interstate Maintenance & Upkeep

Call Parker and they should be able to point you toward an authorized rep. Google Parker hose (it’s now called Parker Hannifin).
Old 08-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #538
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
I saw this searching websites for fabricators
https://gashosesandregulators.com/
"GasHosesandRegulators.com specializes in stocking and selling propane and natural gas hoses for most any application. We stock low pressure (natural gas and low pressure propane) gas hoses from 3/8"ID up through 2"ID in conventional strip wound AGA hose and also in stainless steel overbraid. We also stock a wide variety of high pressure and low pressure regulators of many variations."

Just perusing through their high pressure hoses, the prices of the stainless steel braided protected variety seems to be double of the standard. Pic show identical hoses, except The thermoplastic 10ft around $28 while the stainless steel overbraided version is $53. They in Houston, TX. I will ask them if these hoses can be stored indefintely or best to order if/when need arises..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	349222  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #539
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think my new hose was $144.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #540
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interstate Maintenance & Upkeep

Any product with vulcanized rubber has a lifetime that starts when it is made, not installed. Any polymer ages and breaks down gradually with time.

That’s why it’s good to make note of the manufacture date and replace rubber parts every 5-8 years, depending on what it is being used for.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote