Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #501
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Looks like I just joined an elite club.......my macerator is jammed. On the positive side, the only thing in the main drain to the pump is water and antifreeze....I hope. I also have a spare pump on hand and a set of Interblog’s ramps to get the van off the ground. Now all I need (again I hope) is good weather, bandaids for those knuckle-buster nuts and hose clamps, face shield, rubber gloves......and beer.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #502
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I doubt that the torque specs on any fastener has anything at all to do with the strength of the assumed person doing the work.
The tools sometimes may indeed- but that means sourcing ones with more leverage when needed.
Certainly longer ones will often not fit- but from what I’ve seen, most manufactures rarely take into consideration every working on the vehicle. Just assembling them. And from what I’ve seen of factories (I’ve only personally visited the Ducati factory in Bologna) they used assisted tools for most of the fasteners. There was quite a range of person sizes, although most seemed to the smaller range to me. (The tour included walking right inside the assembly line, just a foot or two from workers).

For things like lug nuts- which even when torqued properly can high a quite high ‘tightness’ and be quite difficult to remove after being on for a long time- I suggest carrying some longer tools to give more leverage and make it reasonable to remove the darn things. Plus tighten back to the proper amount (yeah, you are just guessing without a torque wrench, but it can be close).

I’ve been cursing the design of vehicles since I was a kid over some things. Only rarely do they seem to take maintenance into account. (Doing the cam chain on a Eurovan was such a pain)
I’m not strong at all (certainly not anymore) but figure ways to still get stuff done.

Air tools, electric tools (they have come a long way in the last few years) and something thinking before doing can help a lot. Plus application of either loctite or antisize can help a bunch. (I think some loctite can help keep corrosion away- so just the loctite bond to break).
Even though they say not to, I antisize my lugnuts, and a dab or two on the wheel/hub junction so the wheel can actually be removed. Gotta be careful with that stuff though- it seems to get everywhere.
Loosening the lugnuts a few turn and moving the vehicle a little can help break the wheel loose.

Just some thoughts.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #503
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Looks like I just joined an elite club.......my macerator is jammed. On the positive side, the only thing in the main drain to the pump is water and antifreeze....I hope. I also have a spare pump on hand and a set of Interblog’s ramps to get the van off the ground. Now all I need (again I hope) is good weather, bandaids for those knuckle-buster nuts and hose clamps, face shield, rubber gloves......and beer.

I hope you have already tried the large bladed screwdriver in the revolving end cap thing. Mine jammed once and some twists in both directions got things freed up. Of course you've already checked the fuse (?) as it can easily blow when the macerator is bound up.

BTW< Superb job with the upfitting on your rolling apartment. great design, beautiful work, glad I didn't write the check (!)
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #504
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I hope you have already tried the large bladed screwdriver in the revolving end cap thing. Mine jammed once and some twists in both directions got things freed up. Of course you've already checked the fuse (?) as it can easily blow when the macerator is bound up.

BTW< Superb job with the upfitting on your rolling apartment. great design, beautiful work, glad I didn't write the check (!)

Yep. I found the jam before I tried the pump. One of my first actions each year is to use the slot to rotate the pump. It’s a hard jam. Turns slightly and hits solid. I’m guessing it’s something in the impeller. We’ve been diligent about what goes into the toilet ( if you didn’t eat it, it doesn’t go in there). Don’t know what it is just yet.
Now I get to try to figure the best way to drop the pump.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #505
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
BTW< Superb job with the upfitting on your rolling apartment. great design, beautiful work, glad I didn't write the check (!)[/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #506
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Yeah, the check wasn’t too bad. When we considered what we wanted, and the cost/loss of a trade in and power upgrade of a new Grand Tour....it made sense to pony up the cost of an upfitter. Just glad we found one just an hour away from home.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #507
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Update on the “locked up” macerator.....I did get it running! Hooray........oh crap! It’s leaking. I did manage to get the black tank empty and flushed, along with the gray tank. The leak is mostly flush water now....2 flushes.
I guess I didn’t have the antifreeze mix I thought I had. On the positive side, at least the liquid I’ll get when I disconnect the system “should” be mostly water.
Hmmmmmm.....glad I kept the photos of those “stinky slinky” mods some have made. Not sure I want to go that way just yet. After all, I did have 6 successful freeze seasons on this pump.
Have time to decide...no travel in immediate future.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #508
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Update on the “locked up” macerator.....I did get it running! Hooray........oh crap! It’s leaking. I did manage to get the black tank empty and flushed, along with the gray tank. The leak is mostly flush water now....2 flushes.
I guess I didn’t have the antifreeze mix I thought I had. On the positive side, at least the liquid I’ll get when I disconnect the system “should” be mostly water.
Hmmmmmm.....glad I kept the photos of those “stinky slinky” mods some have made. Not sure I want to go that way just yet. After all, I did have 6 successful freeze seasons on this pump.
Have time to decide...no travel in immediate future.

Replacing the macerater you 60% there you have to break the seal from macerater to piping and Airstream did used lots of silicon on mine. Doing the mode actually made the seals better.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #509
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I gave up a beautiful golf day and decided it was time to replace the macerated.
Took a couple hours, most time spent figuring best way to get it out.
What I found was pretty disgusting. Airstream must’ve used a whole tube of silicone goo ....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	344668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	344669

To call this a Rube Goldberg would insult old Rube and his ancestors.

Got it replaced and so far so good.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #510
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Exclamation

^^^ Yikes!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #511
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
What I found was pretty disgusting. Airstream must’ve used a whole tube of silicone goo ....

To call this a Rube Goldberg would insult old Rube and his ancestors.
TOSKEYSAM - those "silicone goop" engineers must be descendants of my "duct tape" engineer ancestors
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Well apparently I didn’t use enough silicone. Loaded the gray tank for a leak check on the pump suction.....FAIL.

Looking for something to replace that darned corrugated hose ( WITH A SPIRAL WIRE EMBEDDED IN IT &#129324

IMHO that was a truly dumb part selection for Airstream to use.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #513
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Agree it is a dumb part. I could not find a hose that fit better. Had JC replace the macerator under warranty and they gooped it up during their service too.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #514
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Maybe I was just lucky, but my original macerator on my '2012 Avenue was not siliconed in place, nor was the bayonet connection leaking. When I replaced it with a new macerator, it also sealed with no leaks using just the standard "o" ring and a 1" twist to the right to lock it on.

I realize mine is a different model. Here's a pic of my old macerator that came off showing the standard connection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6649.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	344860  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #515
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My searching skills are inadequate for the task of finding others’ solutions for the macerator leaking at the 3” joint. Any advice from those that solved this problem would be greatly appreciated. I considered using “Gorilla Patch and Seal Tape”, but that would make any future work a bigger problem......
Old 06-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Somebody posted a modification that had a manual drain 'Teed' into the pipe leading to the macerator. They reported using a piece of 3" Kanaflex 300 EPDM to connect to the macerator inlet - but I could not find any locally and didn't want to buy 100' on-line.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #517
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Titus...I did find a source for the Kanaflex 300 EPDM in minimum of 5’ length. Thanks! I will look into what this would entail on the valve end of the system.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #518
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Somebody posted a modification that had a manual drain 'Teed' into the pipe leading to the macerator. They reported using a piece of 3" Kanaflex 300 EPDM to connect to the macerator inlet - but I could not find any locally and didn't want to buy 100' on-line.
TITUS & TOSKEYSAM - that mod was posted by BEN322 and I re-posting that pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181211_130250.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	345007   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_163604.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	345008  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:42 AM   #519
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just a reminder, particularly for those of us with older rigs...

Our propane hoses need to be replaced periodically, to avoid potentially disastrous leaks that can also occur at the most inopportune times.

Two days ago, I stopped for propane, and just afterwards the hose split and there was a serious leak. It was caught quickly, fortunately.

Sitting there the next 7 hours, I was able to get it replaced, but a replacement part for this original one had to be made at a local shop.

Someone else here recommended these hoses be replaced every 5-8 years, certainly if you have an older rig might be good to have everything examined and perhaps preemptively replaced.

A friend on the west coast also emailed me that there have been several recent propane explosions out there, involving folks living in older rigs.

A cautionary tale...be safe.

Maggie
Old 08-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #520
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just a reminder, particularly for those of us with older rigs...

Our propane hoses need to be replaced periodically, to avoid potentially disastrous leaks that can also occur at the most inopportune times.
As a thread refresher, here is my replacement step-by-step. I had the four flex lines custom fabricated to the recommended spec, but we did the installation ourselves.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote