Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #361
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Trying to find a replacement blower resistor for my 2012 - but Amazon keeps bombing because of the Prime sale.

At the butt crack of dawn is potentially a better time to shop. Less traffic.

I scored a "First Alert SCO5CN Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery Operated" on the Prime sale.

Right now we've got one of each in the Interstate - separate units. I'll take both of those out and re-install them in our garage. The fresh combo unit will go in the van, freeing up another segment of wall space. Every little bit helps.

Current building code forces us to have redundant hard-wired smoke detectors in every bedroom and hallway - we've got seven of these suckers in our fairly small house. Each one has a 9V backup battery which sets the system to screaming if any of the seven batteries becomes too weak, and usually that process starts up around 3 a.m. I have a management system in place to make sure that I don't accidentally miss a scheduled battery change onslaught. We have ten foot ceilings throughout, so it takes a bit of execution. Standing on a kitchen chair won't get that job done.

But the garage? Not a single smoke detector is required by code. And in our house, where is a fire most likely to start? In the garage, of course. The attached garage.

I'd been using a battery-operated detector in there but I noticed the other day that it has gone missing in that mysterious way that only garage items seem capable of mustering. I needed to get a replacement anyway, so the Prime sale was timely.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I put most of my spares in zip-lock bags. Keeps the small sensors together and protects against water damage.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Anyone do any repairs to the screens on the crank out windows? I have one that is coming apart and the plastic trim piece around the crank is broken. It is glued to the screen.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Anyone do any repairs to the screens on the crank out windows? I have one that is coming apart and the plastic trim piece around the crank is broken. It is glued to the screen.
It has been on my list for four years to do a whole replacement job using noseeum screen. What an awful thing to have mosquito screens in our area.

It requires a bit of research because I need to know the specific adhesive used with the velcro. I need to make sure I get the right product(s) so that I only have to do it once. It must be something commercial-grade. I haven't seen anything like it on the consumer market.

Meanwhile, I've got multiple areas where pieces are falling off the windows because the old attachment points are dried out and cracked.

This autumn, perhaps.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It has been on my list for four years to do a whole replacement job using noseeum screen. What an awful thing to have mosquito screens in our area.

It requires a bit of research because I need to know the specific adhesive used with the velcro. I need to make sure I get the right product(s) so that I only have to do it once. It must be something commercial-grade. I haven't seen anything like it on the consumer market.

Meanwhile, I've got multiple areas where pieces are falling off the windows because the old attachment points are dried out and cracked.

This autumn, perhaps.
That was my intention as well. Hit a wall pretty fast. I checked the AI parts catalog and struck out there as well. Have you done any searches for the Velcro yet?

https://www.velcro.com/business/prod...esive-options/
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
That was my intention as well. Hit a wall pretty fast. I checked the AI parts catalog and struck out there as well. Have you done any searches for the Velcro yet?...
Nope, and I don't want to start that search until I am prepared to do the project, because I'll just have to regroup and re-do down the road.

IRRC, I began looking in late 2014 or early 2015, got nowhere fast, and back-burner'd it. I thought I'd have it resolved long before now, but then came solar, and then came lithium, and then came cellular, and then came the hitch carrier, and then came 1,001 other things...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Nope, and I don't want to start that search until I am prepared to do the project, because I'll just have to regroup and re-do down the road.

IRRC, I began looking in late 2014 or early 2015, got nowhere fast, and back-burner'd it. I thought I'd have it resolved long before now, but then came solar, and then came lithium, and then came cellular, and then came the hitch carrier, and then came 1,001 other things...
I was asking if you had so I wouldn’t be looking in the same places. I didn’t ask you to do it for me. I can do my own research.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #368
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I was asking if you had so I wouldn’t be looking in the same places. I didn’t ask you to do it for me. I can do my own research.
I know that. I wish I could remember where I'd looked so that I could tell you, but it's been a long time.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #369
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I know that. I wish I could remember where I'd looked so that I could tell you, but it's been a long time.
No problem, I might not even use Velcro. I hate that tearing sound...
Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I find that those danged screens need to be cleaned a lot. Something about wake vortices at the rear of the van or something... but I don't travel with the windows open, so I don't get it. There's always leaves and grit and pollen and other assorted crap building up in there. They are open when the Fantastic is on but it doesn't seem like a strong enough air flow to cause that. The same thing doesn't seem to happen at the slider, where the windows are also open with the Fantastic on.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #371
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Maybe you knew, but...
I found out, by accident, that the screens can be removed for washing. They are held in with small clips several places around the perimeter. Just grab the edge in one place with you fingers and pull inward, then work your way around the perimeter. The clips sometimes fall out when removing or reinstalling the screen, but can be snapped back into the groove in the screen frame.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #372
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Maybe you knew, but...
I found out, by accident, that the screens can be removed for washing. They are held in with small clips several places around the perimeter. Just grab the edge in one place with you fingers and pull inward, then work your way around the perimeter. The clips sometimes fall out when removing or reinstalling the screen, but can be snapped back into the groove in the screen frame.
That's on an NCV3, I guess. The structure is different on the T1N.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #373
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
That's on an NCV3, I guess. The structure is different on the T1N.
Quite different. There is a long bar along the top of the screen held on with Velcro and then each individual screen is held in place with Velcro. Note the capital 'V'. Velcro are notorious for defending their trademark.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #374
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yes, mine is a 2013 AI built on a 2012 MB NCV3 chassis. I assume that the screen design is a function of AI MY not MB MY, but I don't know that for sure. My member ID uses the AI MY, since most issues discussed on this forum are Airstream issues, not MB issues. But it can get confusing - especially when AI changes things independent of either MY ...
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #375
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Check those cabin air filters Mine was filthy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF73A561-BB33-4B21-8251-276C9FE01F4A.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	317366  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Filthy, yes, but not hard to clean. And tricky to find a replacement that is the right size. Check dimensions carefully before ordering. One that said 'fits 2012 Sprinter 3500' was not of the correct dimensions. Of course the one that did fit was more expensive.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I have not checked/replaced mine since the long trip.
I did buy a new one when getting some more fuel filters. It will be interesting to see how gunked up it is...

I have seen them pretty darn gross. Leaves and things get trapped and can mold. So all the air into the cabin gets to pass by mold first...

Good reminder. I like to replace them more often then not- like water filters I use to fill the fresh tank and shore supply. They are cheap and better to replace early then too late.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #378
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ughhh... Murphy's Law. My appointment for the preemptive Sprinter gut job is tomorrow at the butt crack of dawn, so I went to our garage before rush hour this evening to collect it, only to be met with the plaintive irregular chirping of a thoroughly dead Sprinter.

The OBD says the voltage is too low for it to respond. The chassis battery is less than two years old. It has re-set its own dash clock, so clearly it's not happy about something electrical. Other than that, I haven't had a chance to research it yet.

Coulda been a lot worse. Coulda happened in Tuscaloosa.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #379
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Bummer.

I installed another 110Vac outlet right behind the drivers seat (went under/to the passenger side of shower basin).
That is plugged into a BatteryTender® that is hooked up to the chassis battery. So any time the van is plugged into shore power- the chassis battery is topped up and maintained.

I’ve used these on batterys for years at a time with no issue at all.

Mark
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is your learning moment for today:

*DON'T* park your friggin' Sprinter this close to any wall. Ever.

The first 999 times you do it, there will be absolutely no issue.

On the 1,000th time, you are going to have an electrical problem.

If your wall happens to be solid, you WON'T have the clearance to pop that bonnet and get at the electrical problem.

Luckily in my case, the wall itself was bendable, and I was motivated to bend it.

Closely-related learning moment:

There is apparently no way for a layperson to get a Sprinter into neutral gear if the chassis electrical system is not functioning for any reason. Even a small reason, such as, something mysteriously ate the battery between last Monday and today.

In other words, you can't just say to yourself, "Too close to the wall? No problem - I'll just roll it back manually." It won't happen. That transmission is not going to budge. And then what? I don't want to think about it.

We managed to get enough charge into it to get it down to Walmart, where the battery is currently being diagnosed.

Sigh.