Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
How to leak-test with the headliner still in place: take a thin absorbent cloth and cram it up in there, and see if it gets damp.

The surgical bandages came off the new windshield this morning and I did some serious leak testing, a nice 90-degree day for a spray-a-thon. All good. (The stain is from the previous leak that I had not noticed prior to the windshield replacement). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6672.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	598.4 KB
ID:	310515
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Weekend project, maybe. Does it have to be 99 degrees? Who ordered this weather?! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7256.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	312644
Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Where did you get them? (Part number?)

After the trip, I think the original fronts are gone. (I replaced the rear with Fox dampers not too long before leaving).
I hear they tend to last around 60k (I’m now getting close to 70k)

Mark

At 99º I’m almost comatose. WAY WAY too hot! (Notice we didn’t go through Texas on our trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Weekend project, maybe. Does it have to be 99 degrees? Who ordered this weather?! Attachment 312644
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Where did you get them? (Part number?)

After the trip, I think the original fronts are gone. ....
You THINK the original fronts are gone?

I KNOW the original fronts are gone.

We now have what I call "sloppy drunk Interstate". I've been gritting my teeth for a couple of months now, but we had to wait patiently (or not so patiently) for a new production run of these, as they are specific to the T1N and they were all sold out.

When LB_3 regains consciousness later this morning, I'll get the info from him. I went to Nova Scotia in part last week because he was working crazy hours and now he's catching up on sleep (in contrast, I'm still involuntarily on Atlantic time so I'm up at the butt crack of dawn).
Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #285
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
I’m using a common chain tire store . . .. Attachment 310393
IB, did you use D . . T . .? I'll need to be changing all 6 before the year is over so just starting to think about what tire to go with and who to use. I recall reading somewhere that the techs need to know what they are doing an have the right equipment to balance the Alcoa wheels properly. Where you satisfied with their work quality?
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
IB, did you use D . . T . .? ...
Yes. And I intentionally went to the one in Pasadena on Spencer Highway because:

(a) they had my exact Michelin tires IN STOCK, which means that their personnel are well-trained to install them, and

(b) given the blue-collar character of the area, they are used to dealing with work trucks generally, so I was inclined to trust them for that reason. No accidentally dropping my Interstate because it's over eight thousand pounds.

It's supposed to be a consumer franchise, but I was not inclined toward the one that is located within my tony suburb, which mostly does Corollas. You shoulda seen the likes of what got dragged into the Pasadena store. There was even a drilling rig that came in while I was there. A massive dually. They handled it all.

Edit: If you use that one, enter the rear of the property from the eastern side street and drive around to the front. The pavement inflection is too steep at the Spencer entrance. I would have tail-struck if I had tried to enter there.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I ordered the struts from Race Consulting Agency: part number 87-2638

You can order them almost anywhere but nobody stocks these for T1Ns so your wait may vary. Now would be a good time to order since Koni just completed a production run in May and will likely have them in stock for a while.

If the price is competitive, Give RCA the business. After my second email they were very proactive in giving me status updates (or non-updates).

http://raceconsultingagency.com/koni.../i-229260.aspx
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #288
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Weekend project, maybe. Does it have to be 99 degrees? Who ordered this weather?! Attachment 312644

I think you'll like the Koni's.

I paid a garage to install my shocks last year (and it wasn't even pushing 100 degrees then). I usually like the smell of bacon cooking, except when the smell is coming from my flesh laying on hot concrete.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
... I usually like the smell of bacon cooking, except when the smell is coming from my flesh laying on hot concrete.
That comment brings back memories of when we were making our hitch carrier. 100 degrees and LB_3 welding for hours in shorts and bare feet, flying molten metal be danged. He was born and raised here in Houston - he can do that kind of thing without dropping dead.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #290
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
That comment brings back memories of when we were making our hitch carrier. 100 degrees and LB_3 welding for hours in shorts and bare feet, flying molten metal be danged. He was born and raised here in Houston - he can do that kind of thing without dropping dead.
I tried something similar on Mother's Day and ended up in the hospital emergency room after passing out…
Old 06-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #291
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I tried something similar on Mother's Day and ended up in the hospital emergency room after passing out…

Sorry to hear that.

I grew up in the Summer heat & humidity of the coast, and didn't know anything else for a long time. Then came this thing called air conditioning (and age). My body now tells me to only go outside in Summer for brief periods!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #292
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Unfortunately we will not get to this Koni strut project this weekend. After working a hella 10-day stretch, LB_3 got called up to substitute for another International Space Station flight controller overnight. He's so tired that he's sleeping at Johnson Space Center right now. Doesn't even want to drive the six miles back to our home.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
....Then came this thing called air conditioning ....
Houston's motto (HT: Houstorian)

Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interstate Maintenance & Upkeep

Hats off to LB_3 for being both smart and careful. Better to take a good rest than fall asleep on the road.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #295
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I ordered the Koni struts from your link (raceconsulting) and they were quite promptly shipped, with a good price.

Thanks!

Of course, now I have to fit them... Not today, since I’m planning on taking the trials bike out tomorrow- probably next week. The leveling jacks certainly make those jobs easier- built-in way to jack it up.

I got some wear on the very outer edge (just outside edge) of my right front tyre during the long trip (11k) and will also be checking for any other suspension issues. I recall the ball joints cannot be checked the standard way, so will need to read up on that again.

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I ordered the Koni struts from your link (raceconsulting) and they were quite promptly shipped, with a good price.

Mark
Whichever of us does this job first, please post tips promptly.

We may get to it before you do - hopefully this weekend. Will the existing hardware be adequate, will it be difficult to free the old ones from the chassis... these are things I do not know.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Yes, I certainly will.
I’ll try to remember to take some pics also.

My van has almost no rust anywhere (including undercarriage) and most things seem to come apart quite well. But now that I said that- probably will be a pain.

Mark
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
There is a good you-tube video on replacing the struts. It was on a 2500 chassis, and am not sure what MY. He had to remove the brake caliper to give enough clearance to remove the struts.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Why don't I give YouTube greater benefit of the doubt?! I don't know, because I should.

Here's the exact MY of Sprinter receiving the exact Koni struts. There's a few things I might do differently - e.g., he's not adequately supported IMO (no redundancy). He's also the first person I've ever heard refer to this vehicle as a "tin Sprinter", like Tin Man, instead of T1N. But generally speaking, the whole process seems to be adequately presented right here.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Given the extent to which the thing must be pulled apart to replace the struts, we will probably also replace the front brakes, which are original (12 years old). Haven't decided on components for that yet.