Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the T1N Interstate, the antenna issue is compounded by the fact that the rubber will crack with age at the base of both antennae (front and amidships), allowing water where it would not have had access initially.

In other words, the antenna base might have "sandwiched" the sheet metal to start with and protected it for a time, even if the sheet metal was not properly sealed. But as soon as the cracking starts, that protection is lost.

I've noticed incipient break-down of ours, but it hadn't progressed to anywhere near to the stage of Maggie's, so I pushed it out on our priority list. The fact that I Bus Kote'd our roof this year bought me time on a number of maintenance items. It is serving as a secondary seal over the entire roof.

I highly recommend the Telesteps 1400E as the portable ladder of choice for Interstates. I wouldn't be able to function without ours.

On a semi-related note...

More and more, we are noticing that older northern Interstates tend to age predominantly via rusting. Older southern Interstates tend to age predominantly via rotting. No surprises there. That's the way automobiles age generally in the U.S.

No surprise there, but imagine my surprise when an Amazon box appeared at our door and a glance at the label confirmed that it was from neither my husband's account nor from my account - but the origin account was unstated. My first question to my husband was, "Honey, who gifted us with a turbo charger hose?" Answer: Our local friend with the southern-born 2007 Interstate, whose gray water system we helped rehab several weeks back. He was having his rig go into limp mode repeatedly around the time that he brought it over to our house. His Sprinter mechanic finally isolated the problem to a cracked hose, the same part that he also ordered for us when he replaced his own.

I basically told him (paraphrased and generalized), dude, first you lost your propane fill line, now you've lost your turbo charger hose. You're set to lose every remaining original hose, belt and line on that entire vehicle. It's just that time in its life.

Anyway, we moved our northern-born Interstate into the south almost three years ago when we bought it, so acceleration in the aging of our rubber and plastic parts commenced at that point. Ours isn't manifesting turbo problems yet, but now we've got one more preemptive maintenance replacement item on our list. And we've got the part for it.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:35 AM   #222
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
All three Parker lines are different diameters, however (two for the fill system and one for the genset). Presumably there were reasons why Airstream made these choices.
The flex line running to the genset is easy to guess the reason for— vibration when the genset is running.

The flex lines on the fill system aren't as easy to guess. I have a couple of theories, having to do with the fact that liquid propane is a "normal boiling point" liquid, meaning it's kept in liquid form only by pressure, and the fact that propane under normal atmospheric pressure vaporizes at -44°F. But I need more research before I would be comfortable sharing my theories with the rest of the class.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
A caution regarding the generator oil change post:
The generator is enclosed in a metal box. The bottom of this box has a cut-out that aligns (or is suppose to align) with the oil drain plug. On mine the alignment is off a bit. So when I remove the drain plug some of the oil drains into my catch-pan. But some of the oil (seemed like most, but probably wasn't) is deflected into the bottom of the box. It then proceeds to fill the box and drain out several other places. This makes a mess of things immediately and for the days (weeks) that follow. I tried to stuff rags into the bottom of the box to soak up as much as possible. Before my next generator oil change I plan to try to enlarge the hole in the bottom of the enclosure.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #224

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I tried to stuff rags into the bottom of the box to soak up as much as possible.
Handy hint, use disposable diapers to catch spilled oil. They're designed to absorb and trap liquids. And the impervious outer cover means you don't even get your hands dirty. Best of all, once the oil is trapped in the diaper, it's considered solid waste and can be legally disposed of in any dumpster.

Learned this trick dealing with minor oil spills in machinery rooms at Corps of Engineers navigation locks and pumping stations when I still worked for a living.

Another use for disposable diapers— field-expedient pressure bandages that are too big for band aids. Kotex maxi-pads are also good for field-expedient pressure bandages when a diaper is just too big for the wound. Learned these tricks from a paramedic friend.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Regarding the Telestep 1400E recommendation:
I have occasionally needed a ladder to reach the roof while traveling, but have always made-do by parking next to a dumpster and climbing on it.

But at every refuel I find myself wishing it were easier to reach all portions of the windshield to wash it. I end up holding onto the hood and pulling myself up to stand on the front tire. But at 60 yrs of age I think that method is on its way out. I have toyed with building some sort of collapsible step that hooks over the tire, then I found this on-line:
https://www.dkhardware.com/wheel-ste...s-5EALw_wcB#qa

Does anybody have experience with this, or some similar device?

It is supposed to 'fold flat' for storage - though exactly how flat is not specified.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #226

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have toyed with building some sort of collapsible step that hooks over the tire, then I found this on-line:
https://www.dkhardware.com/wheel-ste...s-5EALw_wcB#qa

Does anybody have experience with this, or some similar device?
I've used to own one, and used it often on the Dodge Durango I used to drive. I gave it to a fellow Airstreamer last year.

Only works on tires where the wheel doesn't stick out past the tire sidewall, which is why I didn't use it with my Airstream Interstate. The Alcoa front rims on my Interstate are convex and extend beyond the tire sidewall, so I never was able to get the step to hang straight so I could stand on it safely.

A telescoping squeegee works just fine for cleaning the windshield without having to step up on anything, and is a lot cheaper.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That device might help a tall person. I can tell by looking that it wouldn't do diddly squat for me, at 5'6".

Windshield access is a problem that T1N Interstate owners do not have to solve. We have generous toe holes in our front bumper assembly, one under each headlight. I assume from your description that NCV3s do not.

The dumpster idea gets an "A" for originality. Wouldn't help me much when I'm 25 miles outside the nearest human settlement, though. Hence the Telesteps.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #228

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Windshield access is a problem that T1N Interstate owners do not have to solve. We have generous toe holes in our front bumper assembly, one under each headlight. I assume from your description that NCV3s do not.
I'm taller than 5'6" (though my hair isn't!) but I find that the built-in step below the bumper on the NCV3 Sprinters isn't much use. The edge of the hood is right about knee height when using the built-in step, meaning you can't bend forward far enough to reach the windshield. It's more use for reaching under the open hood than for reaching over the closed hood.

A better and more ergonomic solution is to open the front doors, and use the entry step on each side (the one inside the cab, not the one Airstream added below the door) to not only give you extra height, but also to allow you to reach farther toward the middle of the windshield. The open door also gives you an added balance point to lean against while you're accessing the windshield.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Protag
I wondered about whether/not the rim would interfere. Thought that I might have to lengthen the legs that sit against the tire. I just tried your inside step solution. I like it - thanks. I never considered it as the doors were always closed when I was doing the cleaning. It did seem a bit precarious until I simply leaned back against the open door.

Interblog
The NCV3 does have a step - but it is under the grill in the center. This lets me almost get to the top in the center, but not along the edges.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The flex lines on the fill system aren't as easy to guess. I have a couple of theories, having to do with the fact that liquid propane is a "normal boiling point" liquid, meaning it's kept in liquid form only by pressure, and the fact that propane under normal atmospheric pressure vaporizes at -44°F. But I need more research before I would be comfortable sharing my theories with the rest of the class.
IRRC, the flex fill line is built with structural give-ways designed to guard against a catastrophic scenario in which someone overpressures it while the valve at the tank end mistakenly remains closed.

The tank has its own overpressure guard, but that doesn't do much good if the propane cannot reach the tank. Therefore, they modified the line construction so that it can't blow up in someone's face.

The fact that it was built with a give-way structure is a lot of the reason why the manufacturer declares only a 5-year working lifespan for it. It's not as simple as a solid, homogeneous line breaking down with age. It was intentionally built weak to start with, and weak gets weaker faster than strong gets weaker, if you get my vernacular drift.

This is what I'm remembering, perhaps not as accurately as I should, from my conversations with the manufacturer (Parker) and its authorized reps (distributors). I had a lot of conversations with a lot of people and I didn't necessarily write every comment down, but that's what I'm remembering.

We actually have our system re-established but we haven't pressurized it, which is why I haven't taken this conversation further (or finalized my corresponding blog post). I need proof of life before I do that. Propane system life. We might get to that this weekend.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #231

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
IRRC, the flex fill line is built with structural give-ways designed to guard against a catastrophic scenario in which someone overpressures it while the valve at the tank end mistakenly remains closed.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Almost. I'm not sure there IS a valve at the tank end of the fill line, only at the fill port and the relief port (which is supposed to be open when filling, but might not be, in which case the propane liquid would exceed 80% of the tank volume during filling). Built-in ASME tanks don't have OPD valves that I'm aware of, unlike the portable cylinders. The relief port serves the same purpose as an OPD valve but must be manually engaged during filling.

Propane expands to 270 times its volume when it goes from liquid to vapor, meaning it's subject to BLEVE— Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. For the layman, this is NOT propane igniting in a fireball, just going from liquid to a (very cold) vapor too fast for a pressure relief valve to handle it. As could happen if the tank is filled beyond 80% capacity and then heated— such as by heat reflecting off the pavement.

A rubber hose on the fill port allows a rupture that would release propane in a jet of vapor as it escapes, like an accidental impromptu relief valve that can't be closed, rather than releasing all the propane at once in a BLEVE if the tank ruptures.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Almost. I'm not sure there IS a valve at the tank end of the fill line, only at the fill port and the relief port ....
Now that I look back at my pics, you're right - for THESE tanks. While researching external tank tees on the internet, I noticed plenty of integrated Mantank models that DO have such an isolation valve in place. But not the one installed on our Interstate.

I wonder why not?? There's certainly room for it.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Instagram echoes Maggie's recent comment by showing what could happen if you don't personally inspect the body of your vehicle for signs of incipient rust. I mean, imagine where you'd be if it managed to progress this far before you caught sight of it.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #234

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I mean, imagine where you'd be if it managed to progress this far before you caught sight of it.
You'd be lost in the woods, of course!

Whoever carved that vehicular jack-o-lantern has a lot of talent. A warped sense of humor, but a lot of talent.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Instagram never gives up on surprises. But the deeper lesson here is the extent to which the algorithms are parsing our every word. Particularly on Facebook, any theme upon which I comment gets reflected in my Instagram feed within 24 hours, no matter how obscure (Facebook owns Instagram). To a lesser, evolving extent, the same thing is true about the forums. The algorithms picked up on my "rust hole in that particular kind of van" focus, and that's what it fed me in return - an interpretation along those lines. The sophistication in this process is growing by the day.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Instagram echoes Maggie's recent comment by showing what could happen if you don't personally inspect the body of your vehicle for signs of incipient rust. I mean, imagine where you'd be if it managed to progress this far before you caught sight of it.

Nice example of torch art.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Once repairs are completed, I'm going to look into having the Bus-Kote IB has applied to theirs put to my entire roof...seems a good way to protect an aging roof.

Has anyone else used this or have any comments/information?

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html

Thanks.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Vermont RV Sales & Service

2 men and 3 1/2 hours scraped down, cleaned and resealed my roof...they used this product, Geocel ProFlex Instant Roof Repair, tinted silver, and which they said is the best available product.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...ating-fibered/

They sent the remainder of the can with me, should anything new develop up there.

Those that did the job poorly in June, allowing a leak to develop last week, refunded what I paid them in June, plus the temporary repair these guy did last Wednesday....also paid for this entire repair.

The seal should last for years, they said, allowing me to delay for awhile cutting out the area around the antennae and replacing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	291034  
Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We finally re-filled our propane tank and did our leak tests on the four new lines tonight. All seems quite well, indeed. I broke the blog post down into a 17-step process:

REPLACING THE LP FLEX LINES IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Thank you . So how much did the hoses cost?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote