Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

2021 Interstate 24GT
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Interstate GT wifi/cell antenna cable routing

We ordered a new 2022 Interstate GT for July delivery. The rig will come with a Poynting 5-1 wifi/cell antenna. I want to change to the Poynting 7-1 antenna which is physically the same form-factor, but a different cable. I’m seeking to understand how involved it will be to pull a new cable through? I’m pretty handy, but do not want to get in over my head on a brand new RV. I could defer to the dealer, but at times I feel I can do better than they.

Reason to change is so I can hedge the technology curve with a 4 x 4 MIMO antenna/router combo, versus the current 2 x 2 offering. Have done this on the yacht and it’s worth the effort....we stream 600GB month.
Shore Leave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums!

First of all, LOVE the username.

Second, we have pulled cabling for various purposes, keyword various, so my first recommendation is to identify *what else* you might want to future-proof so that you don't have to do this job twice. We didn't do that, and I wish we had. Pull every possible cable all at the same time and then leave them unconnected until you need them.

Third, we have a different Interstate model than you, but FWIW, I found the best fishing tool in this context was a shock-corded tent pole. It is necessary to fish wires across such long runs that the fishing tool must be capable of folding or spooling. Here's a view of that process, but again, our Interstate is an earlier model so it won't look like yours:

On the subject of other concurrent wiring --

Here's a phone screenshot from our rudimentary cellular security camera (red arrow pointing to the dog we wanted to keep a live eye on - whole thread here). Our present system is not adequately sophisticated - it is just a Canary jury-rigged to broadcast from inside the van. Obviously it required its own cabling (and hotspot). We hope to upgrade this in the future with a better system.

Here's a peek at a better system installed in an EarthRoamer. This one includes multiple cameras plus a DVR. One day, I would like to have a comparable system. But that will involve fishing wires all over again.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Virginia
Poynting Antenna replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
We ordered a new 2022 Interstate GT for July delivery. The rig will come with a Poynting 5-1 wifi/cell antenna. I want to change to the Poynting 7-1 antenna which is physically the same form-factor, but a different cable. I’m seeking to understand how involved it will be to pull a new cable through? I’m pretty handy, but do not want to get in over my head on a brand new RV. I could defer to the dealer, but at times I feel I can do better than they.
I just got a AI 19 and looking to do the same thing to be able to fully utilize the dual modem router I'm putting in. Would rather do it myself but was hoping someone had already been down that road of replacing the antenna. They've put so much sealant/foam on it that most of the work will be just getting that off! The antenna isn't that far from the cable termination in the 19 so hopefully it could be used a a cable pull. In the GT I seem to remember a video saying the cables terminate in the rear cabinet of the coach? It sounds like your not getting your rig for a few more weeks but please update if you find out any more on doing this.
Qurius is offline   Reply With Quote