Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Clinton , South Carolina
Interstate GT 2021-Anyone do a grey water option to gravity flow?

We may want to do a gravity flow for grey water at RV parks, staying attached to sewer hookup during stay. Not having to run black and grey macerator pump for just grey each time we dump. Is there a way to do this? Yeah. We like our showers.🥴

Thanks!
SSr2rivets
Clinton, SC
SSr2rivets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sure, most anything is possible, but it would take some plumbing work. Slide on under the van and take a look. Given we drive our van without a TOAD, we have no interest in hooking up to any more than absolutely necessary during our stay at any campground. We want it to be easy to pick up and go wherever, whenever, even while camped somewhere for a while.

If things improve we should get a good chance to test this theory as we're lined up on a volunteer opportunity this summer at a National Park that would have us there for a couple of months helping out at the visitors' center and with interpretive programs. We shall see.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSr2rivets View Post
We may want to do a gravity flow for grey water at RV parks, staying attached to sewer hookup during stay. Not having to run black and grey macerator pump for just grey each time we dump. Is there a way to do this? Yeah. We like our showers.🥴

Thanks!
SSr2rivets
Clinton, SC
I was wondering the same thing, although I don't have an Interstate I DO have a macerator for my gray water that pumps it uphill to the main 3" outlet. Yesterday I took a look underneath and there is a cleanout plug in the 1.5" pipe that comes off the gray water tank before the macerator pump, it is on a short nipple that comes out of a tee in the line. So if you remove the plug, the gray water will come pouring out of the 1.5" nipple. My thoughts are to attach a 1.5-3" reducer here (they make them both straight and offset) then attach a valve with a 3" cam lock outlet, then a 3" drain hose to the site. They even make cam lock tees if you wanted to run two 3" lines into one site hookup. It would actually be quite simple.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Here is a link to a mod that some of us have done to add a gravity dump as a backup.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-92862-61.html

Scroll down to Boxster’s write up.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Btw- you don’t need to raise the Macerator as Boxster did if all you want to do is make the sewer mod.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Did you take a look at yours yet? This thread got me going and I did mine today. As you can see I had room to cut out enough of the macerator pipe to add in a 3" san Tee with an offset reducer to join back into the macerator line. I did not have room for the dump valve at the tank exit so it is at the dump end of the San Tee which means the Tee will have water in it whenever the gray tank does. They had a small heat pad on the 1.5" pipe and I have ordered one for the 3". Actually the way they had it there was always water trapped between the pump and the 1.5" valve which you could only drain by removing the low point plug with tools, it was not protected by the heat pad. I changed it so I can just unscrew a hose cap to drain water left behind after using the pump (see yellow cap). If I don't use the pump that section will remain dry. I now have 4 gray water options, the 3" dump, the pump, and 2 hose fittings, one in the 3" cap and one in the low point drain. Since my San Tee will have water in it while traveling I added a support cable although I probably didn't need to, there will only be 2-3 pounds of water.
Not sure how the Interstate is set up but if you have a low point drain it makes a pretty easy place to install a 3/4" hose fitting that you could use if you don't want to go to the trouble of the 3" plumbing. I would be curious to see how the Interstate is set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	387622   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	387623  

Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
I added a gravity dump in case the macerator fails. Decided to do it when replacing the flex pipe.

Name:	20181211_130250.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	387655

Name:	20181212_163604.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	387656
Old 01-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I added a gravity dump in case the macerator fails. Decided to do it when replacing the flex pipe.
Attachment 387655
Attachment 387656
Nice job, now if you get one of the caps with the garden hose threaded outlet on it you can use a garden hose or bucket if you ever need to drain gray water and not near a hookup.