Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Interstate exterior trim problem

I have a 2015 Interstate Lounge that has been developing a problem with the exterior trim. You can see it on most of the paint on the exterior trim that Airstream installed when being built. It is only on the plastic parts. I would describe it as fine whitish streaks that all go longways like a grain. If you put 303 protective on it it disappears for a while then comes right back. Waxing does the same thing. The only place I don't see any is on the front area around headlights and grill. It is the worse on the fender skirts. All of the metal that was painted by Mercedes is like new. I have been very careful to keep the exterior in good shape since I bought it new. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and what I might use to treat it. Thanks. Joedandy
joedandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Let me guess-it sits outside in the sun a lot? My 2011 started developing the "spider web" paint defects after a year or two, likely caused by UV.

It is not possible to remove them without extreme buffing if at all. I was at Jackson Center when Airstream tried that who told me the manufacturer advised them to buff them out. They buffed it right down to the black rubber and then asked me what I wanted to do. I said give me the parts to replace them all, and I'll do it myself because it would take about three days for them to do so. They were more than happy to do that to get rid of me, as I'd been there a full week already.

I'd say if they won't replace them, having them repainted is the only cure.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Yes it has been in the sun a lot. I’m sure that is what it is. Thanks
joedandy is offline   Reply With Quote