Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Interstate closet door lock?

Has anyone installed a lock-and-key (or combination lock) mechanism on their Interstate closet door?

If so, please share, either on this thread or PM me. I'm evaluating options and I don't want to chop into our door twice - I will get it right the first time (hopefully).

Why would I say PM me? Because I'm asking in the context of Safe Passage - 18 USC and also certain Canadian jurisdictions where I cannot take a handgun, but I *can* apply for and receive a 60-day permit to take a hunting rifle that conforms to Canada's restrictions. Some people don't wish to be visibly associated with those types of discussions, so PM me if you are one of those.

Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I should have specified:

If possible, I don't want to bring a rifle case. Too large, too bulky, some plastic injection-molded monstrosity. I have a space in the closet where the rifle lives, a tiny slot where it slips in, only a couple of inches wide.

However, the locking case suggestion has now raised in my mind -- could I find a SOFT case that locks? Analogous to how banks put money in reinforced bags and then there is a lock on the zipper. That would be much more of a space-saver than a rigid case.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Okay... you answered a question/suggestion I was going to post... A lockable case would have been easier, but not something that would be practical based on the update you made today.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I always check out marine sources for hardware like you are searching for. Lots of similarity between boats and RVs. Usually a bit pricey, but of high quality.

I miss my sailboat!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
https://www.amazon.com/Savior-Equipm.../dp/B07FY321GW
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Okay... you answered a question/suggestion I was going to post... A lockable case would have been easier, but not something that would be practical based on the update you made today.
Maybe or maybe not. That one linked above is nice, plus it is offered in five lengths, which is REALLY nice, because I have a short rifle, and I've had trouble finding a case that even halfways fits, especially given that I have two shelves in my closet, which constricts the height.

Once I get the Interstate back, I'll have a better feel for what I can actually squeeze in the space available.

As for that date, I got word that the new engine may ship out of Detroit either Friday or Monday. My fingers are crossed.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh, my freakin' husband had a stroke of brilliance this morning, and BEFORE 8:00 a.m. to boot. And he is not a morning person, so that is something special.

Think outside of the box:

Rather than putting a lock on the closet door in a conventional sense, we can weld up a couple of custom brackets to padlock the rifle to the inner wall of the closet.

The U.S. Code reads "...in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container..."

The brackets become the "locked containers". The intent of the regulation is to ensure that the firearm cannot be accessed quickly by anyone - driver or otherwise. There's no specification that it be a certain configuration. (But don't ask me about case law precedent on that interpretation, because I don't have any.)

Furthermore locking ammunition separately is easy for me - we have multiple locking safes in the van.

Bolting the rifle to the wall of the closet is far more secure than putting a lock on the closet door. It's a better guard against theft. The door could simply be pried off its flimsy hinges, but defeating a pair of custom-welded brackets would be a far more difficult task. Plus I get to hide heavy and probably ugly hardware inside the closet.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to us designing and implementing this one. It should be a fun little project.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Think outside of the box:

Rather than putting a lock on the closet door in a conventional sense, we can weld up a couple of custom brackets to padlock the rifle to the inner wall of the closet.
In the old days, we locked our Remington 870s in a bracket bolted to the floorboard and dashboard. Santa Cruz Gun Locks manufactures something similar that might work for you... or at least give you some ideas:

https://www.galls.com/brands/santa-cruz-gun-locks
Old 06-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband is welding me a rifle locking mechanism today, as we are blessed with moderate weather. Temp right now is only 88 degrees, which in Houston at this time of year is a "pinch me" moment.

We had a butt-kicker of a rainstorm yesterday, which left us with abnormally cool air. We actually slept in the van last night without a/c. I was perfectly comfortable.

I'm gearing up for my annual migration, and I always like to spend a few nights in it ahead of time if possible, just in case there are any strange new subtle behaviors that I should be noticing NOW, ahead of time, so that they will not cause me problems on the road as I am soloing almost 3,000 miles.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here you can see my husband's signature design - notice how the mounting holes are situated BEHIND the overlay mechanism. If this were cheap mass-produced crap from China, the design would likely be thoughtless, and the mounting holes would be in the outer corners where the bolts could be accessed easily by someone seeking to un-do them.

When the device is shut and locked, the bolts are not accessible. Mount this on a sturdy multi-layer dense plywood wall with a metal plate backer, add a good lock, and it's pretty sturdy. Could a thief get it off? Of course, but not without devoting time and effort and making a lot of noise.

It's for Safe Passage but if we are going to do it, we might as well harden it for security purposes also.

I like the raw look of it as-is - it's welding art. But I'll paint it black to go with the rest of the Interstate's color scheme.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Wow... mad build/welding skills. That came out great.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Wow... mad build/welding skills. That came out great.
Thanks for the complement. I’m rather pleased with the form and function but if I knew IB would share prior to being painted and installed, I would have put more effort into the fit and finish.

But I guess that’s my fault for not getting it finished Sunday evening. As with all my welding projects the time spent measuring, test fitting, re-measuring, cutting, clamping, grinding, etc...is far less than the time with the torch. I would say that I had about 6 hours of work on the project, of which about 2 minutes or less was with the visor down and viewing glass dark.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a mature concept in my head when I started so it was challenging, particularly trying to keep it symmetrical for aesthetics. My chop saw was also off a degree or two so none of my cuts were square resulting in the need to fill lots of gaps and grind them smooth.

If I ever had to make a second one I would CAD up the parts and a jig, then have the pieces water jetted online. In that scenario I could probably finish one in half an hour or so not counting the CAD time.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Myself, I prefer the hand-hewn aesthetic. Anyone can water-jet. Water-jetted versions would all look the same.

I sewed my first shirt in almost 30 years recently, for an upcoming special event, so it had to be custom. I've sewed plenty of van stuff recently, but not clothing. It's a bit rough around the edges, but that's what makes it authentic.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here you can see my husband's signature design - notice how the mounting holes are situated BEHIND the overlay mechanism. If this were cheap mass-produced crap from China, the design would likely be thoughtless, and the mounting holes would be in the outer corners where the bolts could be accessed easily by someone seeking to un-do them.

When the device is shut and locked, the bolts are not accessible. Mount this on a sturdy multi-layer dense plywood wall with a metal plate backer, add a good lock, and it's pretty sturdy. Could a thief get it off? Of course, but not without devoting time and effort and making a lot of noise.

It's for Safe Passage but if we are going to do it, we might as well harden it for security purposes also.

I like the raw look of it as-is - it's welding art. But I'll paint it black to go with the rest of the Interstate's color scheme.

REALLY nice job!!! Well done!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Now THAT is what I call space-saving (orange knit sock - see how my husband notched out both adjustable shelves above it, so the barrel could slide on up there).

An atypical juxtaposition - a solar reflecting umbrella, a yoga mat, and a lever-action rifle. A girl and her toys.

This is a cheap lock that I put on the mounting bracket. It will do for the moment.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Looks nice.

OT question--did you add the carpet/flooring to the closet floor or is that stock? That would be a good addition to the closet in our trailer to keep things from sliding around.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Looks nice.

OT question--did you add the carpet/flooring to the closet floor or is that stock? That would be a good addition to the closet in our trailer to keep things from sliding around.
Not stock. Not sure how much of this van is stock anymore.

IB, I'd put a sock on that padlock. Might bang around if you don't. The gun mount looks great.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Looks nice.

It's actually gray Astroturf (the real brand name) cut to fit, and fixed with shallow screws to the floor. I store my folding bicycle there, and dirt tends to be shed from it. Below that shelf is the inverter and lithium battery, so I wanted a floor liner with the texture to trap dirt particles, so that they would not work their way downward.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for the info. I will look into something to line our closet floor as well.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote