Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Motivated me to solve our packing problems. Don’t back up super often just because you can’t see what’s behind you that great anyway.

Naming it BULT=Butt ugly little trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9220C81-09AF-4288-8C10-D47CCAB84DBA.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	390124   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3FE219-B28D-4BB9-9408-78C106E6746A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	390125  

Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Motivated me to solve our packing problems. Don’t back up super often just because you can’t see what’s behind you that great anyway.

Naming it BULT=Butt ugly little trailer.
Wowwwwww... it may be BULT but there are full-sized kayaks in your future, if you want there to be. No sweat at all.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it’s pretty cute!

Maggie
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I was just thinking of getting some kayaks before buying the trailer. I have been working from home for a year or two before COVID, and my daughter has been schooling from home since COVID. Although we feel very lucky to not have to worry near as much about exposure, the walls are no longer responding to me in nice ways ! Thought floating for the summer would be a great way to be around people and be outdoors yet still stay far enough away not to have to worry about exposure.

We like to bike and golf during our trips, but the space constraints limited us to one or the other, too. Now it isn’t a problem. I also think the racks will work well for transporting our bikes. The former owner recommended the Yakama one rack, so that will be the next thing to check out. It’s kind of a win-win all the way around.

We pulled it home yesterday and it pulls like a breeze. Nice thing is we can still see out the back of the SUV with it. The trailer is made with parts and manufactured in the USA. Interesting fact it was invented by the family who invented the Rollerblade. So far, we are very happy. We’ll see what the maiden voyage looks like. I’m sure we’ll have some backing adventures though. Only one way to learn.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:47 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
a note on U-hauls: We drove from Pittsburgh to Austin pulling the 2nd largest Uhaul trailer full of furniture. I picked that one because it was the smallest with dual tires. I read all reviews of each franchise and picked the dealer that had comments about thorough maintenance. We had no problems and never even felt the trailer when driving. We drove about 10 miles/hour slower and there was NO backing up until we got to son's driveway.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:06 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
.... there was NO backing up ....
TheFitRV is switching from a Class B to a Class C (Winnebago Ekko), and my money's on the lack of back-up capacity being the primary driver behind that decision.

First they had a Class B with all cargo inside.

Then they added a small trailer.

Then they probably figured out that the trailer was just too limiting.

I think a trailer is only a solution for part-time use - big trips or special circumstances. For many people, it wouldn't be viable to haul one around perpetually.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi IB,

I agree with you on FitRVs swtich to a Class C.

In watching their videos, they seem to want to have much more cargo capacity for bikes, etc.

It has been interesting to watch their journey.

Hope you are doing well,

PS We love the floormat that you sent us - it has worked out great! Thank you again!!!

Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I laughed out loud when the owner of the blue-stripe trailer pictured in the post above emailed me and used the B-word to describe the act of backing up with it. The wheel base of the Interstate is so long and the trailer is so small that, if one falls anywhere short of being an expert trailer-puller, the thing is guaranteed to jackknife.

My husband had already warned me that my days of backing up will be OVER if we get one of those things. I’ve spent 6 years learning how to stealth camp and squirrel a 10-foot-tall, 23-foot-long vehicle into some unlikely hidey-holes. I’m the queen of back-ins. If you look at my rear license plate, you can see the evidence of that, because it looks like a scrap of crumpled tin foil (Edit: The license plate is mounted on the hitch carrier, so it’s the first thing to make contact with stationary objects). Parking lot attendants adore me; shrubbery fears me.

Anyway, that, too is a consideration to be weighed. Where and how am I going to hide this colossal thing if I have a trailer attached? LOL.
Saw an 82 year old Woman solve the backing problem with her teardrop trailer.

She UNHITCHED it and pushed and pulled it by the tongue into a nice shaded position. She did have a rope tethering it to the bumper of the tow vehicle so it couldn't get away totally AND would always ask for assistance if the spot was uneven or otherwise difficult.

Wheels... what a concept! Move 400 lbs. easier than 40.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:18 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Saw an 82 year old Woman solve the backing problem with her teardrop trailer.

She UNHITCHED it and pushed and pulled it by the tongue into a nice shaded position. She did have a rope tethering it to the bumper of the tow vehicle so it couldn't get away totally AND would always ask for assistance if the spot was uneven or otherwise difficult.

Wheels... what a concept! Move 400 lbs. easier than 40.
I’m aware of that, but it’s not the best strategy in Flying J and Cracker Barrel parking lots, which is where I spend a disproportionate amount of my road time.

For one thing, the lower the Crackerdocking profile, the better. Maneuverability is also important, as local conditions can sometimes prompt one to flee for safety reasons (ask me how I know this). For another thing, there’s the issue of truck stops being high-theft areas generally.

Those with more leisurely lifestyles are better-suited to such an approach, I think.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One trailer out of many:

https://www.hikertrailers.com/

The "Extreme Off Road" can come with a fridge box *and* a slide to get at the fridge. It also has fenders strong enough to stand on when loading / unloading kayaks onto the roof. There's enough space in it to work as a "bunkhouse" when you have a few extra people along on the trip.

Load wise, it's a 4,500 pound axle on a trailer with a dry weight of 1,350 pounds. They have a "derating" on the axle right now. After further analysis, they will be eliminating that note (at least on the ones built in Indiana).

You have to dig a bit to really see what one looks like. Their stock photos are not the greatest. Stopping by the "factory" is always going to be better than any set of pictures. ( true on any van or trailer ....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Heh, I re-located this thread by searching for the acronym BULT. Who could forget that one??

I have not pulled the trigger on any given BULT, and right now I am contemplating getting a motor scooter that I might also fit in it. That would answer the question of how we could do limited local travel without demobilizing the Interstate every time, and without dragging a toad. In for a penny, in for a pound - if we decide to get a trailer, it should serve multiple needs.

I went back over several threads here to re-evaluate what other posters are doing in this regard. I saw one open trailer, and several hitch mounted carriers, including one that several of us felt at the time was not the best option for supporting the very large Vespa that had been placed upon it.

Shoot, when that thread got hatched, I had no idea how expensive Vespas were. So there’s more than lives plus the Interstate investments that are at risk with such a heavy configuration on the hitch.

Anyway, if there are any other Interstate owners out there carrying motorized two- or three-wheeled vehicles, I’d love to see what you are carrying and how you are carrying it.

I like the presentation of a classic Asian or European scooter - gentle lines, sedate design. Not those newer ones that are all angular and look like enraged hornets. Sort of like this, which is a Kymco:

Old 11-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As your "toy" gets heavy enough to bother a hitch, it also gets heavy enough to not be any fun to lift. Based on other similar gizmos I've played with .... get something that has a ramp you can run it up. Loading is *much* easier that way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Those scooters are pretty heavy for what they are.
A light motorcycle is a better option, I think.

Heck, we hauled a little 100 cc Honda (vintage) around the country for 11k miles, and it worked pretty darn well for putting around various places.
But it really was too small. Something with more power and just a little bigger would have been better (so I bought a 250 Benelli- vintage- that weighs 220lbs).

But since you are heavy already, hitch mounting one is not a very good idea. But a small trailer for the times when you do want all the extra stuff is an alternative, certainly.
I don’t care for trailers, harder to maneuver and park etc. but if you need the weight…
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
If you’re still looking to save weight, it was not obvious from the picture whether you have aluminum rims on the van, or if those are steel rims with silver hubcaps. If they are steel then you can save probably ten pounds per corner (or more) by going to a quality aluminum rim set. Plus it will improve the handling and reduce the heat buildup.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I have a Yamaha XT250, weighs 290 pounds with a 30" seat height. Very easy, forgiving small motorcycle, but comfortably does 60mph on the highway and handles dirt trails wonderfully.

Another popular choice is the Yamaha TW200. Even easier to ride.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:03 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
….handles dirt trails wonderfully….
You’ve hit upon my other concern. As usual, I am looking for one machine that does at least four things. Here I am sitting in Angelina National Forest with a 2-year-old border collie, the very picture of youthful canine athleticism, who can out-mile me on foot by at least a factor of ten. I’d love a device that could get me down the road for a burger AND through the backwoods also, on forest roads that are too degraded for cars and trucks. The dog sticks close when off-leash, so we could get deep into the forest by cycle (she running beside me), and then proceed to hike on foot.

I joined Houston’s motorcycle forum to get some feedback on what might be a good bike or scooter for this kind of application. And ooooh, that forum has upvoting. A good sign.

Anyway, someone on MotoHouston suggested a Honda Ruckus. It’s a nice looking machine with big fat tires, and it would fit into an Interstate trailer. But as far as I can tell, it’s not offered larger than a 50 cc model, which would not be acceptable to my husband who insists that anything I choose have a larger engine so that it can handle street riding adequately:

Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #57
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We spent three consecutive months living in our Interstate this past summer inside a national park while doing volunteer work. Having done so, we've concluded that the only way to put one's van on a diet is to carry less stuff. That's it. No trailers, and certainly no motor scooters. After our summer van experience, it is our considered opinion that putting stuff in a trailer and dragging it around behind one would be the opposite of putting a camper van on a diet.

Good luck with this project, glad folks are having fun with ideas, but maybe we should call this what is is: offloading stuff one can't seem to part with into a trailer that'll be hauled around behind one and dealt with on a daily basis, especially when hitching and unhitching, turning around, pulling tight turns, backing up, etc. For us, a pair of former Airstream International 27FB owners who have converted to a van, hauling a trailer of any kind would be anathema. Others will of course feel differently, and that's fine, but let's not fool ourselves, maybe?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I am seriously considering a UBCO 2x2 Adventure bike. At about 150 pounds, including the battery pack, which is removable, it is manageable. Also street legal.

https://ubco.com/pages/2x2-adventure-bike
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
….we've concluded that the only way to put one's van on a diet is to carry less stuff. That's it. No trailers, and certainly no motor scooters…... Others will of course feel differently, and that's fine, but let's not fool ourselves, maybe?
To say the same thing another way if I may take the liberty, this thread has undergone drift, but it’s my thread, and I am responsible for the drift, so it’s all good AFAIAC.

We are all products of our experience, of which yours is in a NP. My current experience has been heavily informed by more than 2 weeks off-grid in rural Nova Scotia during a pandemic in which I was forced by multiple law enforcement agencies to have no contact whatsoever with the outside world including no groceries, no utilities and no medical care, period end of sentence. I am, in fact, planning to put my Interstate on a diet - that goal has not changed. But my needs have also changed profoundly, and I know *exactly* what I need to carry to be comfortable and entertained in that ^^ highly-restrictive scenario, and it’s a whole boat-load of stuff. Too much for the Interstate to carry.

So the bottom line is, I may eventually get to the point where I hatch a new thread titled “Interstate butt-ugly little trailer (BULT) on a diet”. But for right now I’m in the headspace of off-loading from my Interstate to a small trailer.

Which changes the dynamics of travel considerably. It opens up new possibilities, one of which is carrying a motorized two-wheeled street-legal vehicle of some sort. I better know exactly what I plan to fit into that trailer before I buy it or commission its build, hence this drift.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What about e-bikes? What do they weigh?