Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Interstate black and gray valve issue

I got to a Rally in my 2018 AI and black valve motor would not work and open the black valve. Airstream said to unplug and replug in the motor and if that did not work, only option is service...no manual override. At the recommendation of another AI owner, I called RBM in Georgia. Their Airstream expert got on the phone, helped us out, confirmed that if we remove the motor, we can manually open and close the valve. Another AI owner at the rally helped me remove it and saved the day! I'll be heading to RBM in Alpharetta for service in a few weeks.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	326336
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
One of my worst fears !!
My black valve often makes funny ratcheting noises upon opening, making me think it will fail someday. When I spoke with an AI expert in Maine, he described that you can manually open the valve by pulling on the valve blade that sits horizontally on the vertical pipe. He pointed to it for me but he didn't say anything about removing a motor so your story has me concerned.

Can you provide any pics ?
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you got it resolved, and kudos to RBM for guiding you through this over the phone and fellow owners for helping you.

Excellent customer service by RBM, not so much for JC.

(This is one of the many reasons some of us prefer the older, all manual, rigs.)

Maggie
Old 10-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I believe you can pull the lever on the 2017 to manually open. The 2018 motor sits in a way that totally blocks the lever pull, so the motor had to be removed.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I downloaded the instructions for the valves on my 2013. You can work the valve manually, but first you need to disconnect the motor - allen wrench and open-end wrench if I recall. While underneath looking at the valves I sprayed the exposed actuating shaft with silicon while my wife was opening and closing the valve. I
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Black Mountain , North Carolina
I witnessed this event at Alumalina. Best problem solving skills used to figure out solution and the Wizard Of Oz positioning under the AI memorable.
mountaindent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindent View Post
I witnessed this event at Alumalina. Best problem solving skills used to figure out solution and the Wizard Of Oz positioning under the AI memorable.
LOL...The picture is such a hoot. I had no idea how funny we looked. Thank goodness it was all done before the rain! The Airstream family is THE BEST!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Check electrical connections first.

had and isssue with the valves. Similar to airstream installing the generator in the path of road salt with no protection causing corrosion,the same thing happens to the connection to these motors. They corrode off and fall apart. Replacing them with weatherproof connectors solved my problem. Attached is the proper weatherproof fitting prior to assembly. This is what airstream should have used. Not the junky connection that’s not weatherproof they installed.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

1998 31' Land Yacht
Laurel Springs , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
had and isssue with the valves. Similar to airstream installing the generator in the path of road salt with no protection causing corrosion,the same thing happens to the connection to these motors. They corrode off and fall apart. Replacing them with weatherproof connectors solved my problem. Attached is the proper weatherproof fitting prior to assembly. This is what airstream should have used. Not the junky connection that’s not weatherproof they installed.
Had the same thing happen to my Atlas. Four trips to an AS dealer in a month. They must have received a bad batch of pumps! They try to tell you that you don't know how to use it.
WhoWhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I got to a Rally in my 2018 AI and black valve motor would not work and open the black valve. Airstream said to unplug and replug in the motor and if that did not work, only option is service...no manual override. At the recommendation of another AI owner, I called RBM in Georgia. Their Airstream expert got on the phone, helped us out, confirmed that if we remove the motor, we can manually open and close the valve. Another AI owner at the rally helped me remove it and saved the day! I'll be heading to RBM in Alpharetta for service in a few weeks.Attachment 326336

Wow you hear all the problems with the last east greatest All automatic Get er done from your recliner devices..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	326357and it makes you great full for stuff that just works, granted you have to move to make it work,:::::: but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
MANSDERM161 - So sorry to hear this happen. On the 2018 Lounge, access is not a problem. Maybe the GT layout is more packed underneath causing the need to remove motor first.

Regarding JC - their response to your emergency is just plain stupid, considering their own manual says it can be done. At least the great thing about where you are is many experts there to help you. They could've/should've been more helpful. Glad it got resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181026-110050_Drive.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	326362  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes, if you look closely, thats the manual opened to that same page on the ground. But there is no way to move that lever with the motor installed.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Washington & Key Largo , Pa. & Fl.
My black valve also not closing

My black valve opens and closes but the light won’t go off unless I get under and manually push the valve the last 1/8 of an inch.
I called Airsteam over a week ago and asked for suggestions still waiting for a call back. Thanks a lot Airstream pathetic customer service.
LewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
So here I am, on the Alaska highway, just starting our adventure to Alaska. I go to dump the Black tank for the first time and NOTHING!
-The red light does not go on
-The valve or relay makes no sound.

The fuses are all good.
The grey tank works
I have carefully opened and closed the grey tank valve (knowing it must be shut for the blank tank valve to open.
The macerator pump works
No kink in the hose.

I am currently pretty far away from any RV repair shop.

I will crawl underneath tomorrow morning and see of I can manually open the valve. From what I read it is not an easy task. Perhaps it is easy so any ideas, encouragement would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Wasn't there someone who put in a manual bypass modification for this infernal thing? Boxster maybe? (My rig is older and only has the manual valve, or else I would have paid more attention).

The upshot being, if you do have to go to the trouble of going to an RV shop, maybe you could get the repair done and the backup option installed at the same time.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I would not worry too much about the red light on the black tank. It seldom worked on my 2014 Lounge and I sometimes see it flicker on and off the 2018 GT. In the mean time, both rigs would dump the black tank OK. I suspect the switch for the black tank gets a lot of road garbage debris against it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
This happened to me. Somehow water got into the black valve motor and shorted it out. We had to remove the black valve motor, then you will see the pin to pull and manually open the black valve. It is difficult because you are working in a tight space and getting to the bolts holding the motor assembly is not easy. One of the forum members helped me at an airstream rally. He had some leveling blocks to raise the rig so we could get under there.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Assuming that you are able to get the black tank valve open manually:
Not sure that it would hurt anything to leave it in the manually open position for the duration of your trip. My Interstate is wired such that black and gray cannot be open at the same time. But others report theirs can both be open at once. So you could leave the black open all the time and dump it first. Then use the switch to open the gray tank valve and dump it. Then close the gray tank. Beats getting underneath every few days to manually open the black tank. Good luck.

Sheakev: I sent you a PM with an offer to e-mail you instructions for the valve on mine - which may not be the same as the valve on yours!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Assuming that you are able to get the black tank valve open manually:
Not sure that it would hurt anything to leave it in the manually open position for the duration of your trip. My Interstate is wired such that black and gray cannot be open at the same time. But others report theirs can both be open at once. So you could leave the black open all the time and dump it first. Then use the switch to open the gray tank valve and dump it. Then close the gray tank. Beats getting underneath every few days to manually open the black tank. Good luck.
I just spoke with the technician at my dealer back home, he said he replaced three of the black tank motors this year already. While it might be the relay which is near the power inverter, I may see if I can get under it this morning and pull the motor. I was afraid that I would need to be crawling under it to open and close the valve each time. If I can leave it open that seems to be the best way to go.
Fortunately, I have some leveling blocks so I can get it up a bit so I can get under it. Doesn't sound like an ideal condition but better than not being able to use the black tank.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Once you get the motor off, it's pretty easy to get under and manually open and close because you can see it and just pull and push, less than 2 minutes. You have to really crawl under to get motor off, because you have to use both hands, tools, and see what you are doing. I half thought about just leaving motor off...one less thing to go wrong! I guess if ground was wet, it would not be fun, but now I carry a mat to put down if I have to crawl under again.