Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
Any idea why the Renogy (both the Eclipse and the Mono) appear to be considerably less expensive than the Zamp?

Also from whom did you purchase your panels?

I now have to carefully measure my available real estate and determine what size/shape panels will fit on my roof.

I purchase my Renogy Eclipse from Amazon.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Alex,

I would surmise that your 3 flex panels will be OK for a while since you store your Interstate inside when not using it. The sun's rays do nasty things to any soft panel ( I have tried most of them), so storing your RV inside will definitely keep them working longer.

The time to replace will be when your panels won't put out much more than 3-4 amps per panel during the summer. That's when it's time for replacement. Just try to keep the surfaces clean and you should be OK for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
LEW - Does the 5yr/2yr longevity figure get affected by whether unit is garaged or not? Or is it just based on cell age degradation, irrespective of UV exposure? I live in Las Vegas, my rig is always garaged (fully enclosed) when not in use. My usage has averaged outdoor exposure is 2 days per week since new (9 mos & 9,000 miles). Las Vegas UV exposure is horrible and will destroy anything. About the only material that has stood up to it are the casings used by pool equipment manufacturers, specifically StaRite. My pool filter lasted 20yrs of 24hr UV exposure before developing a leak.

I am asking so I can proactively plan on when to remove my 3 flex to upgrade to glass panels.

Thanks for your contributions to this forum. Very informative.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Hi Alex,

I would surmise that your 3 flex panels will be OK for a while since you store your Interstate inside when not using it. The sun's rays do nasty things to any soft panel ( I have tried most of them), so storing your RV inside will definitely keep them working longer.

The time to replace will be when your panels won't put out much more than 3-4 amps per panel during the summer. That's when it's time for replacement. Just try to keep the surfaces clean and you should be OK for a while.
LEW - Thank you again. This is good to hear. Appreciate your tips & expertise.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
LEW rocks !

Upon LEWs guidance I installed 4X 100w panels from am solar and a victron solar controller. It’s one of the best investments I’ve made. Totally worth the effort.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

murrieta , California
Could you please post pics or explain where/how the dealer installed the second battery box?? I would like to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
Last month I had my local AS dealer install second tray and a second set of batteries. While they were the same type, the were newer. I know this wasn't ideal but I am hopeful that the four batteries will last and perform for a good period of time.
I have the one solar panel that came with my Interstate. I believe I have room for two more in the aft part of the roof. I see no reason to get rid of the existing one which leads me to the conclusion of adding two more of the same flexible panels. I would wire them in parallel. There is always going to be some shading (yes, I know that there are a few days a year for a few minutes that the sun would be perpendicular - but even then I have an antenna which does shade the existing panel unless it is in the deployed (up) position).

My calculations tell me that the existing 10 ga. wire will be fine. As to the charge controller, I do want it to fit in the "box" I do not want it outside. So I calculated that a realistic maximum current of 18 amps. So to keep the size of the controller down my plan is to use the Victron 100/20.

My primary objective is to ensure that I have enough capacity to get through a night with the refrigerator-freezer and other phantom power drains.

I have no current (pun?) plans to change the inverter or other electronics.

I would appreciate any critical comments on what I've done and propose to do.

Alexstjo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Lew performed a solar upgrade for me this past summer, removing the 50 watt panel (stock for 2013), and adding 3 100 watt panels. The charge controller was replaced with a Victron unit, and the stock internal battery box was removed, the batteries being mounted directly to the floor at the former location of the battery box. This leaves room for larger 6v AGM batteries in series to increase the Ah capacity.

I currently have Lifeline gpl-4ct batteries for 220 Ah capacity. When I replace them, it will be with a pair of gpl-6ct batteries for 300Ah.

Before you have an AS dealer add a battery box for more batteries, see the thread “House Battery Detaches on Highway Today”. The OP for that thread is eyechip.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
Hi all,

I'll appreciate your experienced thinking on this matter. I have a 2016 Interstate (OEM 100 W Solar and 2 House Batteries). I will be in Ohio in early February and am planning on an overnight stop at Airstream Jackson Center and having them upgrade my Interstate to the 2019 configuration, which is 300 W Solar and 4 house batteries.

I'm told this is an easy one-day effort. Wondering if others may have already made the this modification, and are you pleased with it? Was it worth it? Any problems/issues I should be aware of.

Many thanks to the community

PirateChris
Better by far to have 500 plus watts of solar and 2 or 3 house batteries.

Collyn Rivers
Collyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
Solar

Hi,

I did a recent solar install on a storage shed. I use a portable 80 watt set up on my RV.

I used this company

https://www.zampsolar.com/portable-kits

A pair of 120W panels, 2 AGM (Interstate) 210 Ah 6 volt batteries in a 12 volt configuration and a Midnight Solar controller.

I noticed that have install parts for AS.

Everything works well.

Randy
jazzmanrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Round Rock , Texas
Howdy, After 13 months my original batteries on 2018 Interstate failed. Tried to switch to Lithium but that did not work ( long story ). Had the dealer install two additional trays and now have 4 fresh Optimum Brand batteries. They work great! I can now run the refrig/freezer overnight while boondocking without running the batters below 50%. I was told by dealer that the "upgrade" to 2019 battery system with Auto Start was a project I did not want to undertake. Said it would cost thousands of $$$ - so I simply added the two trays and new batteries. The three solar cells work well for me. Do wish I could swap out / acquire the new backup camera's I have seen on some 2019's. ( not sure why I see them on some '19's and not others).
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
Upon LEWs guidance I installed 4X 100w panels from am solar and a victron solar controller. It’s one of the best investments I’ve made. Totally worth the effort.
I completely concur with this remark! With solar, you can enjoy all your Airstream's 12V powered comforts each day and still have a fully charged battery the next day. Store your Airstream outside for months at a time and still have a fully-charged functioning battery for your next adventure. Enjoy the freedom to boondock anywhere and avoid the overcrowded sold-out-year-in-advance electric campsites.

For me, an Airstream with several hundred watts of solar panels is like having a perpetual motion machine.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I completely concur with this remark! With solar, you can enjoy all your Airstream's 12V powered comforts each day and still have a fully charged battery the next day. Store your Airstream outside for months at a time and still have a fully-charged functioning battery for your next adventure. Enjoy the freedom to boondock anywhere and avoid the overcrowded sold-out-year-in-advance electric campsites.

For me, an Airstream with several hundred watts of solar panels is like having a perpetual motion machine.

Generally agree... but that's all fine if you have sun, or sun at a decent angle, for lots of hours, and want to sit in the sun in the first place....

I have 300W and all week we've been in full sun, at a very low angle in WA so must be plugged in all day and night. My fixed panels peak output has been 70W, average daily intake of 160Wh. In the summer I was seeing peak of 280W and average daily intake of 800Wh in the SW region. But I sought out the shade whenever I could. (sigh)
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Generally agree... but that's all fine if you have sun, or sun at a decent angle, for lots of hours, and want to sit in the sun in the first place....

I have 300W and all week we've been in full sun, at a very low angle in WA so must be plugged in all day and night. My fixed panels peak output has been 70W, average daily intake of 160Wh. In the summer I was seeing peak of 280W and average daily intake of 800Wh in the SW region. But I sought out the shade whenever I could. (sigh)
TRONADORA - you are so right & very spot-on with these points. For those who doubt what you said, I will have them sit under the Las Vegas or AZ or UT sun in June July August where their solar panels can harvest energy in 1 day to last them weeks. But unless their battery banks are able to run the equivalent of 1.5 a/c units (at least 20,000btu in our AI) on full blast for almost 24hrs, they will be forced to seek shade and/or electric hookups. There is just no rv solar/battery system that is capable of staying ahead of the heat in these parts of the SW. Even an AI in full hookup campgrounds are barely keeping up. The inside of my AI has seen inside temps of 120° and that is inside the garage (albeit all closed up, no a/c running, no vents running). And even running vents only means I am sucking in 110° ambient air temp to refresh the inside air. I doubt most folks can tell that 110 is better than 120. Hot is just hot & unbearable inside AI at those temps.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
They are very helpful and reasonably priced. The installation isn’t that hard if you want to do it yourself. Or get Lew to do a professional job. We removed the airstream solar panel and solar controller then installed victron. My only regret was investing more in magnum controller and AGS rather than going all victron. Doing it again I would go victron all the way. Their app is awesome. Magnum is way behind in this respect. Batteries are easy enough to hang underneath if you stick with AGM.
Does anyone have any experience with the full Victron system?
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the full Victron system?
I've placed 3 FULL Victron systems into Interstates in the past year. That includes Victron lithium batteries, 400 watts of solar with Victron 100/30 controller and BMV-712 battery monitor, full Victron inverter/chargers and the V4.2 control system from AM Solar.

What would you like to know?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania

My new battery box is the storage well. Work done near Austin. It's vented (lower right you can see the round screen.) I got this suitcase https://www.amazon.com/DOKIO-Foldabl...7127434&sr=8-5
Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I read this thread as a starter. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1949787
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Going to Jackson Center in April for the battery upgrade on my 2015 GT. Not doing anything with the solar power. Just looking to be able to go one night without killing the batteries. Is the upgrade working out for you
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by billramp View Post
Going to Jackson Center in April for the battery upgrade on my 2015 GT. Not doing anything with the solar power. Just looking to be able to go one night without killing the batteries. Is the upgrade working out for you

I’m curious why a battery upgrade requires you going to Jackson Center. What problems are you having? Are you relocating the batteries or just swapping for new ones?
Prettygood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by billramp View Post
I was just at Jackson Center OH a month or so ago and I can tell you based on my experience with the tech wasn't a positive one. He just kept telling me
"that's why they have generators installed". I spent hours there and left with the same issue, very disappointing. Any and all solutions that I came up with, because they had none other than the generator comment, which included adding two additional batteries was extremely expensive and their hourly rate is $180. My workaround would've also involved modifying the battery tray to house 6V batteries which they never done for my year, make and mode rig. The price they quoted me ridiculously in my opinion considering that at the time I paid good money for my righ, owned my rig for 1.5 months and I couldn't boondock for more than 30 minutes before the generator kicked on.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Airstream is so behind the market. Most RVers, especially in vans want to be able to camp for a day or two without the need for shore power or a generator. I modified my Interstate by switching to four 6V batteries, a 2,000W inverter/charger and 400Ws of solar. It is a great setup that should be offered by Airstream. I seldom use the generator - only if I need A/C without available shore power.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote