Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Interstate 24X - Storage Solutions (inside)

For those that have an Interstate 24X, if you are like us when we hit the road the bed is kept in the made position.For those long road trips have you thought about gear storage.The overheads are good for clothing and such but that is about it.The under seat storage aren't bad for what it is, but I am not going to be breaking up the bed every day to grab something.The 80 inches or so down the aisle under the bed will be good, but other than just stuffing things in there, what have you been thinking?
broncowilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Many of us keep the bed in the down position. I bought a 4" California Queen mattress and placed it on top. Then, bought 6" California Queen fitted sheets and a comforter.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look at the aisle, you quickly run into problems. The furnace vents at the rear into that aisle. The cooling for the inverter moves air to and from the aisle. That limits the degree to which you can "pack stuff" in the aisle. Doing it properly would mean building this. and that to keep the "stuff" away from the various vents.

Bottom line: You bought a B van .... that means storage is a challenge.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a hitch hauler that connected to the rear hitch, and a large, expandable, waterproof bag that latched onto it for when we were traveling with the grandkids.

I still have it, actually.

Maggie
Old 01-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
We are in the process of selling our 2017 AI GT, and inside storage wasn't an issue amazingly enough, but moving to 24X that we hope to pick up in next 10 days has some storage challenges for those long duration roadtrips. I would prefer to not have a hitch carrier or one that hangs off the back door. Life continues to be full of trade offs.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
We keep our outdoor table and chairs and our Clam in the overhead bins. The bins are super long and perfect for those items, as well as the front window shades and the bed parts. The Clam will not fit behind the rear seats as it would on others vans. We keep our Volcano grill behind the seats. It's a tight fit and doesn't rattle.

The string bins are great as well; all our clothes fit in them with room to spare. While we initially thought that we'd prefer drawers we were wrong. The bins are much bigger than drawers. We keep our clothes in storage cubes as if we were using suitcases. We're not trying to live in the van and we don't carry a lot of cold weather clothing. As frequent travelers we are used to packing light. It could be your use case is different.

We tried leaving the bed made up but didn't like it. It's not that hard to assemble, and it's nice to be able to sit in the back during stops. We've modded the bed supports so we can leave the back half made up if we wanted. We thought we might like that, since it's big enough to sleep across for us, but we didn't like that much either. I like being able to load and unload through the rear doors. The only really good place to keep all of the outdoor rigging for electrical and water for us is in the passenger rear. I'm trying to decide if it's worth giving that up for more batteries, since it's a logical place to put them.

We have some 1Up bike trays we mount in the aisle when we don't want the bikes on the back.

I've been pleasantly surprised just how much stuff fit.

And I almost forgot. One of the reasons we don't leave the bed made up is that we've added a couple extra Lagun table mounts; one that we can use with just the back half of the bed made up, and the other that lets the table act as an extension for the countertop. We like having the second table in the back while we stop for lunch.
XPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:56 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
....... The only really good place to keep all of the outdoor rigging for electrical and water for us is in the passenger rear. I'm trying to decide if it's worth giving that up for more batteries, since it's a logical place to put them.

Hi

As mentioned elsewhere, the rearmost "bin" under the curb side bench is the only one that really has a well supported bottom. I would not try to put multiple batteries ( or the gold brick collection ....) in the other bins. Stuff like hoses or power cords ... fine, just not really heavy stuff.

Bob
Old 01-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Right. That's the one I'm talking about.

It's also the only one that's big enough to hold a hose and doesn't have a mess of electrical or HVAC equipment under it. I haven't been able to figure out where else I could store the outside rigging if I did put batteries in there.

I suppose I could use a waterproof container.
XPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
Right. That's the one I'm talking about.

It's also the only one that's big enough to hold a hose and doesn't have a mess of electrical or HVAC equipment under it. I haven't been able to figure out where else I could store the outside rigging if I did put batteries in there.

I suppose I could use a waterproof container.
Hi

Get a "Zero G" water hose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They pack down *much* better than the more conventional "Camco" vinyl versions. They (yes plural) will easily fit in the rear bin on the road side of the van. The drawback to them is that the junction between the hose and end piece isn't always the greatest. Run it for a couple of years and it may start leaking a bit.

We always connect the ends of the hose together before it goes into storage. Yes this involves pushing the air out first. The advantage is no water dumping into the storage area and no "surprise" critter colonies in the hose next time you pull it out.

Bob
Old 01-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Brookhaven , Georgia
I leave the bed in the “bed” position all the time. Under the bed, I have an Orvis bag for tools and 2 Yeti Duffels for spare clothes. I also have 3 camera bags of varying sizes and 2 Fishpond bags in the back for dirty clothes. The Yeti Duffels can be accessed from inside by crawling under. I also have a hitch mounted Let’s Go Aero box for cables, etc.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
I leave the bed in the “bed” position all the time. Under the bed, I have an Orvis bag for tools and 2 Yeti Duffels for spare clothes. I also have 3 camera bags of varying sizes and 2 Fishpond bags in the back for dirty clothes. The Yeti Duffels can be accessed from inside by crawling under. I also have a hitch mounted Let’s Go Aero box for cables, etc.
Hi

Is this in an X or a GT? They have *very* different bed / storage setups.

Bob
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Hershey , Pennsylvania
XPat... thanks for the lengthy post above. That is great information on how you are distributing your "stuff" throughout your 24X.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Fort Myers Beach , FL
Thinking of a Thule Roof Top Cargo box on 24x

I haven't received delivery of my 24x - delayed due to 'chips'.

I'm not as concerned about every watt of power from the Solar so I'm considering putting a Thule Cargo box on the roof - either back access model or side access. We will need a small telescoping ladder and I assume I can't put more than 100lbs there but a great spot for stinky or bulky. I love cargo boxes and i have two aeros (one is for sale if anyone is interested) but trying to keep my Length down to ~24ft. Any thoughts or concerns from the group?
madraelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just keep in mind that by adding a cargo carrier to your roof you are adding height to an already high vehicle.

I don’t know the height of yours, but mine is 9’6”, and I find the occasional drive thrus I can’t go thru.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by madraelle View Post
I haven't received delivery of my 24x - delayed due to 'chips'.

I'm not as concerned about every watt of power from the Solar so I'm considering putting a Thule Cargo box on the roof - either back access model or side access. We will need a small telescoping ladder and I assume I can't put more than 100lbs there but a great spot for stinky or bulky. I love cargo boxes and i have two aeros (one is for sale if anyone is interested) but trying to keep my Length down to ~24ft. Any thoughts or concerns from the group?
Hi

The folks at AS say not to put anything up there. I believe it's in the manual.

You will need a ladder somewhere in the 12 to 15' range to get up there. ( = with those boxes, you really want to be able to look down into them as you load / unload .... been there / done that ...). It will have to get stored somewhere or you will need to mount it on the van (which also presents questions / issues ). If the ladder leans up against the van, you would need to work out some sort of padding.

If there is a bit of wind or you are heading around a sharp curve, you *will* notice that this is not a sports car. Putting weight and "sail area" up high will not improve that situation.

Having just played with a storage box on a different trailer .... the profile of the bars may or may not be what the month on your box are expecting to see. Even some pretty minor deviations can cause issues if they happen to be in the "wrong" direction. The same thing applies to bar spacing.

A lot of campsites have a "nice" side and a "yuck" side. You typically park so the awning goes out in the nice direction. The box would have to be on the other side. We've been in a lot of sites where getting a ladder up that side would be a significant PIA.

Solar wise, you will have a pretty massive impact on the output of the system. Panels do not like the sort of shade that box will represent.

Bob
Old 03-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Fort Myers Beach , FL
Great points Uncle_Bob - Thanks. I might go with something slim and just put lightweight, bulky items up there like my surfboard, kites, etc...

I was thinking of the Owl Hinge based back door ladder system. Any experience with their ladders?
madraelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:01 AM   #17
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
First off, maybe try carrying less stuff and using no outside storage boxes. That’s been our solution - only thing we have outside is a bike rack, but if we could find a way to store bikes inside we’d get rid of that too.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:25 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by madraelle View Post
Great points Uncle_Bob - Thanks. I might go with something slim and just put lightweight, bulky items up there like my surfboard, kites, etc...

I was thinking of the Owl Hinge based back door ladder system. Any experience with their ladders?
Hi

Owl makes fine stuff. There is a lot of debate about the carrying capability of the door hinges. Climbing up a rear ladder puts a lot more load on the doors than the specs seem to allow. Even more so if you decide that a spare tire needs to come along.

With a ladder at the back, getting at the latch on the typical Thule storage box is difficult. They are designed to mount on a car and be accessed from the side. Either a side mount ladder or one that stores in back and moves to the side would seem to be needed.

As noted above, one very basic answer is to leave more stuff behind. Class B vans are space challenged. The "why" of that quickly gets back to their being weight challenged ( and structure challenged ) as well.

One storage alternative is to pull a (small) trailer behind the van. That has some obvious downsides as well.

Do you see folks doing all sorts of things with vans? Sure you do. There are a lot of van sizes and a lot of models out there. How much this or that one weighs ( and where that weight is) "factory stock" varies all over the place. From what I've seen, a lot of folks overload their vans, cars, trucks, and RV's.

Specs are just numbers written on a piece of paper. Some folks read the numbers and stay inside them. Some folks don't bother with them. Being "out of spec" is not going to destroy your vehicle immediately. At some point it *will* impact vehicle stability and control.

To me, the most concerning risk is getting in some sort of trouble. You then get in even more trouble because you have "a (dangerously) overloaded vehicle". ( and thus the insurance or warranty or whatever is not going to work for you ....). How big a risk this actually is ... I have absolutely no idea.

Fun !!

Bob
Old 03-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
First off, maybe try carrying less stuff and using no outside storage boxes. That’s been our solution - only thing we have outside is a bike rack, but if we could find a way to store bikes inside we’d get rid of that too.
We couldn't agree more. That's why we got the 24X. Forum member Xman made these sweet mounting plates for 1Up bike trays so we can carry our bikes inside. They store out of the way on the side rails and when we need them they are already in the van.

They allow us to cary four people with seatbelts and four bikes with the only RV-rated bike rack we could find. And when it's just two of us and we're going to a trail head or a short weekend we don't even have to add the external bike rack.

We can have lunch in the van with the bikes in, as we've added table mounts where they really should have been from the factory.

And one thing I forgot. If we want to stay at a hotel we don't have to take our bikes up to the room through the lobby. We've never felt safe leaving them on the hitch rack overnight, even locked up.

This van is working out perfectly for our used case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike_tray_stored.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	413452   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_trays_mounted.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	413453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_inside.jpg