Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #1

2022 Interstate 24X
Rogers , Arkansas
Interstate 24X rear tire pressure

Shortly after delivery of our new 24X I attempted to check the tire pressures of all six tires but found the valve stems on the outer rear tires to be behind the wheel preventing me from checking it. I called Airstream and they reassured me that it was possible to check the pressure with the correct gauge but my local dealer wasn't able to help me. The dealer suggested I take it to a Mercedes dealer or a tire shop. Today the Mercedes service tech told me that they had to remove the outside wheels on the rear dually in order to check the pressures! Has anyone else run in to this problem?
jnredwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not just an issue on the 24X. It appears to apply to all of the Interstate vans. The only answer that seems to pop up is to put on new valve stems. The wheels on the X are slightly different than the aluminum wheels on the other models. Still it seems to be an issue across the board.

If there is a gauge that will hit the stock stems on all the rear wheels, that would be pretty cool .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
You'll need valve extenders. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9132.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	410162
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This would be a gauge that sorta kinda might get at the valve on the X:

https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Strai...ps%2C77&sr=8-5

No idea if it does work or if it's any good. It was the first (close) thing that showed up on an Amazon search for "tire pressure gauge extended".

This one might be a better bet:

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-956-La...%2C77&sr=8-152

Price is steep enough that I'll let somebody else check it out

Indeed, these (mentioned above) seem like a better bet:

https://www.amazon.com/Extenders-Str...83&sr=8-5&th=1

There are a ton of similar items.

Bob
Old 01-07-2022, 06:05 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
My husband and I wish Mercedes would have put tire pressure sensors on the Sprinter, but no. We ended up buying a TPS monitor and added flexible extensions on the stems that clamp to the wheel. The TPS sensors have small button batteries that are supposed to last two years. One year use and 10,000 miles and they are still good. The receiver is solar and sits on our dash. It has worked well for us and gives us peace of mind.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
The straight Milton truck gauges don't reach. I've tried.

What does reach is the air compressor that came with the van. It has a gauge and auto-shut-off built in.

I carry a super-long pair of long nose pliers for fishing the valve stem caps out from wherever I lose them.
XPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

2021 Interstate 24GT
Warren , NJ
duallyvalve.com Have the stems replaced. Extensions leak and fail. The rear inner is a bear to balance with the replacements stems, but being able to confidently and accurately check your tire pressure is money well spent towards peace of mind. The X has steel wheels all around? Just shoot them an email and they'll find the right kit for you. You can even safely use the TFT flow through tpms sensors with the replacement stems. Actually, at that point, when they replace the stems, the tires are off and you can use the bands that fit around the wheel for tpms.
Kneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel View Post
duallyvalve.com Have the stems replaced. Extensions leak and fail. The rear inner is a bear to balance with the replacements stems, but being able to confidently and accurately check your tire pressure is money well spent towards peace of mind. The X has steel wheels all around? Just shoot them an email and they'll find the right kit for you. You can even safely use the TFT flow through tpms sensors with the replacement stems. Actually, at that point, when they replace the stems, the tires are off and you can use the bands that fit around the wheel for tpms.
This is good advice. Had an inner dual flat in 2014 when the MB OEM plastic extension cause a leak in rubber valve. Added dually valves and TST flow-thru TPMS sensors. Thay have served me well over last 7 years.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel View Post
Hi

Yes, the X has steel rims on all wheels / tires.

Bob
Old 01-09-2022, 10:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Milton S-976 truck tire gauge
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Milton S-976 truck tire gauge
I own the version of this gauge that can be calibrated. It absolutely DOES NOT work on the stock steel wheels of the 24X.

The round holes on the steel wheels are too small. It will not reach the inside rear tires. Otherwise it is a nice gauge.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Can you get a flexible hose through the holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
I own the version of this gauge that can be calibrated. It absolutely DOES NOT work on the stock steel wheels of the 24X.

The round holes on the steel wheels are too small. It will not reach the inside rear tires. Otherwise it is a nice gauge.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Can you get a flexible hose through the holes?
Yes, you can. As I mentioned earlier, Airstream delivers an air compressor with the van. The Dewalt air compressor they provide has a flexible hose.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #14

2022 Interstate 24X
Raleigh , North Carolina
With the Dewalt compressor hose I reached the outer rear wheel valve from between the wheels and threaded the hose on the valve. That was easier than kinking the hose through the hole and trying to thread it on the valve. For the inner wheel I went through the holes to the thread the hose on the valve.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry, I missed your reply between reading the first set of replies and posting my reply. I can see how it’s a chore to both check and fill the tires. Bad enough with our Interstate Alcoa rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
Yes, you can. As I mentioned earlier, Airstream delivers an air compressor with the van. The Dewalt air compressor they provide has a flexible hose.