Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Bay Area , California
Interstate 19 Sleeping Question

Hi, I am brand new to the Airstream forums. I am considering the Interstate 19 as it offers nearly all the features we would want, but with a smaller footprint.

The only issue is that it only sleeps two. I have two young kids and was wondering if anyone here has successfully modified/found a work-around for their Interstate 19 to sleep 4? (2 adults and 2 kids)

I looked into cabbunk, but the Interstate 19 2021 front seats donít swivel a full 180 to accommodate the cabbunk. Any other options? (The inflatable mattress doesnít look like itíll fit two kids.)

Thanks in advance.
(I love how to Winnebago Solis can sleep 4 comfortably with the pop-top, but I feel the Interstate 19 might be have a higher build quality.)
Jayjayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I would not get an Interstate if you wanted to sleep more than two with aby regularity. I made a platform for use across the front seat to sleep one grandson when he was real young. not at all convenient but it served the purpose. No way would I want to use it routinely. When we take the grandkids camping we use a tent for them - which they like better anyway.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even the 24' Interstates will struggle with 2 adults and two kids. The B van format really isn't a good fit for 4. I'd suggest at least a class C to do it with any level of comfort.

It's not just sleeping. You all need to sit somewhere when it's raining. Food needs to get prepared for the entire group and you need to sit to eat it. Everybody has gear that needs to be stored somewhere. The needed capacities on the fresh water / gray water / black water tanks all go up with 4 involved.

When in motion, the setting in some vans is fine for the two up front. In something like the 24 GL it's fine for another two folks. In the versions where the "others" are in the very back .... yikes .... that's often a bumpy ride .....

Lots to consider

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
We have a 24' for my almost retired husband and I and it is perfect for us. We camped with our 3 kids when they were young and used a pop-up camper which had plenty of space for sleeping.

I agree with your sentiment on the quality of the AI, but maybe that is a future rig when it's just the two of you. I was also impressed by what the Winnebago Solis had to offer with sleeping arrangements and maybe that's the way to go while you have the kiddos.

Another consideration is how you intend to use the AI. If you are camping, a tent for the kids is an option, but they have to be game for that. We use ours for touring and camping and just spent a fun weekend camping. Our daughter and her husband met us there and set up their tent. We ate all our meals out at the picnic table and when a shower came up the 4 captains chairs were helpful until the rain passed.

It's a lot to consider and you don't want to have buyers remorse with such a large purchase. Good luck and enjoy making memories with your kids because that is priceless!
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Jayjayel,
Coming up on 3 years ownership (just clicked over 20K miles) of our AIGT Ext. (their 24' version) and it's our fairly strong opinion that these rigs are built for two. We've taken trips with one of our kids along and workable (yes), recommendable (no). Although if you were to get a solid buy-in on the bring-along-tent option for the kids that would kinda/sorta solve your sleeping challenge. However as Uncle Bob stated, all the other gyrations when all 4 occupants are in the rig can become more than a bit cumbersome.

I cannot speak to the Winnebago Solis option for I was pretty solidly fixed on the Airstream Interstate when looking. I would say, regardless of the brand, that I am a very strong "Class B" RV advocate and the biggest reason why is it's narrow body profile. Although it's certainly big if the largest vehicle you've ever driven previously was for instance an SUV, but my point is that with it's relatively narrow profile there is a nice comfort level when driving in urban/city situations and narrow country roads. For me it provides a good feeling of driving safety not having to continually obsess over your vehicle's width.

Good luck on your search and welcome to AF!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Here and There , Pacific Northwest
The 19 isn't big enough. Make a list of what you will need to carry along and then figure out where you might put it. I think you would have to load the kids first, then the cooler, sleeping bags, clothes, tent, chairs, table, tarp, fire wood, paper plates, and etc. If you were to purchase a trailer for the kids it might be doable. IMHO with the 19 maximum capacity is reached with two medium size adults.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysnuck View Post
Jayjayel,
Coming up on 3 years ownership (just clicked over 20K miles) of our AIGT Ext. (their 24' version) and it's our fairly strong opinion that these rigs are built for two. We've taken trips with one of our kids along and workable (yes), recommendable (no). Although if you were to get a solid buy-in on the bring-along-tent option for the kids that would kinda/sorta solve your sleeping challenge. However as Uncle Bob stated, all the other gyrations when all 4 occupants are in the rig can become more than a bit cumbersome.

I cannot speak to the Winnebago Solis option for I was pretty solidly fixed on the Airstream Interstate when looking. I would say, regardless of the brand, that I am a very strong "Class B" RV advocate and the biggest reason why is it's narrow body profile. Although it's certainly big if the largest vehicle you've ever driven previously was for instance an SUV, but my point is that with it's relatively narrow profile there is a nice comfort level when driving in urban/city situations and narrow country roads. For me it provides a good feeling of driving safety not having to continually obsess over your vehicle's width.

Good luck on your search and welcome to AF!
Hi

The other use case for a motor home is heading over to the ball game. You load up X folks, drive over, see the game, then drive back. There is no "over night in the vehicle" as part of this process. In that mode, you can fit 4 ( or maybe more) into a Class B without getting totally crazy. The GL seems to be targeted at this crowd. ( four riding comfortably in front and two not quite so comfortable in back).

I know a number of folks who are into this sort of thing. They run everything from 19' vans up through quite nice ( = $$$$) class A's. They don't seem to be big on the forums.

The obvious gotcha is that you go looking and here's a vehicle that very obviously is set up for 4 to 6 people. That most definitely gets you comparing your group size to those numbers. It's rare to ever see advertising say "don't do this". A *good* sales guy would steer you in another direction. Not all salespeople are "good" ....

Bob
Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Interstate Lounge with four seats up front and carry a 5-sided Clam gazebo or tent that is short enough to fit in the back. Theyíd have to sleep outside. Donít get the six-sided model if you want it to fit properly in the back. We have both and have transported the six-sided down the aisle but itís kind of miserable tripping over it while moving or to use the bathroom. 5-sided fits perfectly.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Bay Area , California
I wanted to thank everyone very much for your advice and sharing your knowledge. It’s been really enlightening to read your points and for me to actually think about how the 4 of us would function in that space. Also, really good point that some make it work for going to sports events rather than camping, that is a good point. Also, a very interesting point, thank you all again, are the options to bring a tent, or to bring a trailer, benefit of its narrowness, etc.

I think after reading through all your comments, I have a better gauge now on what I should be looking for. As much as I like the Interstate 19, I agree with the comments that it’s probably best for later when our kids are grown and off on their own.

Many thanks again, I really appreciate the knowledge you all have shared with us.
Jayjayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is *one* solution that has not been mentioned.

The Interstate 19' can tow up to 5,000 pounds. That puts a *lot* of small trailers in the picture.

Airstream certainly would be happy to sell you any of a number of models. They would have A/C and all the bells and whistles (like another bath / shower / fridge ....). There are a number of other folks in the trailer business who also would be happy to sell you something. Having spent decades in tents, there is an advantage to avoiding wet canvas in the morning .....

The "towable bunk house" is our answer to the question ... (we went with something other than an A/S, but it still should work).

Bob
Old 07-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
A teardrop might be perfect if you don't need extra seating. You'd get a nice extra bedroom, and also an outdoor kitchen for those good-weather days.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote