Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Thousand Oaks , California
Cool Interstate 19 no power in back

The power in my Interstate 19 is gone. Nothing works even when plugged into external power. I found the battery for the engine dead and jumped it to restart it. The car drives fine but nothing except for the door step works in the back. When I plug it into external power only the inverter shows any life and it says fault. Any ideas where to start? I checked the GFI, breakers and fuses and didn't find any issues.
Interstate D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You may need to put a charger on the coach batteries. If these batteries are dead, the Magnum will not pick up and charge them from the external hookup. The battery manager that Airstream installs is a very poor piece of equipment and may very well be not passing the charge from your generator to the 12v system in the rear if the coach batteries are too low.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thank You

Thank you for the help. I thought that might be the case. I'll give it a try. Can you tell me where the charge access is to the house batteries? I'll review the manual too.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate D View Post
Thank you for the help. I thought that might be the case. I'll give it a try. Can you tell me where the charge access is to the house batteries? I'll review the manual too.
Pretty much need to hook to the batteries themselves. Kind of tight there under the coach.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cascade , Idaho
Question Followup?

Wondered if Interstate D’s power issues were solved by forum suggestion to place battery charger directly on battery terminals? I am new to this forum, and found this thread when searching for possible solutions to a similar problem with my 2019 Interstate Lounge: i.e., no power to any of MH chassis features even when plugged into shore power. Only the microwave light comes on - no other 12volt supplied function works. Checked main power supply switch and breakers but nothing abnormal found. Wouldn’t the engine charge the leisure batteries while engine is running, if depleted batteries are the issue? Is there another main circuit breaker that I am missing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Idaho Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Installed new Batteries

It appeared when I attempted to directly charge the old batteries that they had been drained beyond the point where they could be recharged so I decided to bite the bullet and buy new ones. They direct charged fine and everything works great now. The biggest issue I have noticed is the drain from the refrigerator when it is left on. Does anyone know of a solution for this?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If your refrigerator runs off your battery when not plugged into electric, that is a notorious and oft-complained of issue with these larger frig/freezer units that don’t also run off propane.

Some have replaced with lithium batteries to help with this.

Maggie
Old 02-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cascade , Idaho
Thanks, Interstate D, for the followup. As indicated in my earlier post, we are having similar power issues with our 2019 Interstate Lounge and may have to replace our leisure batteries if direct charging is also ineffective at correcting the problem. I will update this string if we discover alternate solution.
Idaho Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Niceville , Destin
You can recharge AGM batteries if there completely dead I’ve done it several times, a friend of mine that’s own golf cart shop showed me years ago how they take supposedly dead batteries and recharge them. First you need to take a known good 12v battery and hook the battery charger to it and jumper cables from the good battery to the bad AGM battery, the charger will keep charging because it see’s a good battery. Another way is to have a old charger that doesn’t have all the smart sensor installed.
Vacayourway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Great Battery Charging Hack

Thank you for the great battery charging hack. I hope I can remember that next time I need it.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bremerton , Washington
Watch that disconnect switch just inside the side door. If it gets bumped, it can cause some headaches like you have described
PNWnChill is offline   Reply With Quote