Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
East Hampton , Connecticut
Interesting MB Sprinter Parts info

Recently I started a thread seeking info on an alarm system for my 2012 AI. All I want is a quality, simple system to easily interface with the Sprinter. I also prefer DIY when possible.

MB used to have such a system. Cutting to the chase, I eventually called my local Mercedes-Benz parts department. The answer I received is good to know for anyone who owns a Sprinter and goes way beyond my desire for a good alarm system.

1. To purchase ANY AND ALL MB and MB Sprinter parts you must provide a VIN for your Sprinter
2. If your Sprinter did not leave the plant with the part as OEM you can not add it after the fact even if it is an MB componant to be installed by an MB dealer. MB will not allow it and will not sell it to you.
3. MB requires a core return for any part that they will sell. I was told that it did not matter if it was a mechanical componant, sheet metal, wiring, whatever. They require your damaged or broken part in exchange for any new part. You can replace but never add.
4. ANY additions or modifications to the origional factory configuration voids the MB warrenty.

I did not bother to ask if they sell parts to DIY people who are not MB authorized.:

So many more reasons why I love my Jeep first!

-Curt
CAS138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
That's depressing and good to know at the same time! THanks for posting.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Interesting as I bought my intermediate sliding door stop from my MB dealer and installed myself w/ no questions asked or answered.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
East Hampton , Connecticut
Maybe it has to do with when you bought it. Also...I visited the local Freightliner dealer which has a very elaborate parts department. They told me that they could no longer sell Sprinter parts. The Mercedes dealer told me that amongst other things, Mercedes is combating reproduction and counterfit parts.

Glad you got what you needed without the hastle
CAS138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Interesting MB Sprinter Parts info

Amirm said it right. Good to know and depressing at the same time.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Seems like refusing to sell you a genuine MB part that wasn't on your Sprinter originally would create a market for counterfeit parts.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS138 View Post
2. If your Sprinter did not leave the plant with the part as OEM you can not add it after the fact even if it is an MB componant to be installed by an MB dealer. MB will not allow it and will not sell it to you.
Not necessarily true at my MB/Sprinter dealer. They have already installed Koni shocks/struts and a RennTech ECU tune for me, without voiding warranty. And they didn't bat an eye at my ScanGauge II, either.

But I haven't tried purchasing OEM Sprinter parts that weren't original equipment on my 2011 Sprinter, though. I can't imagine a piece of OEM equipment that wasn't installed that I would want to add.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS138 View Post
....... Cutting to the chase, I eventually called my local Mercedes-Benz parts department. The answer I received is good to know for anyone who owns a Sprinter and goes way beyond my desire for a good alarm system.

1. To purchase ANY AND ALL MB and MB Sprinter parts you must provide a VIN for your Sprinter
3. MB requires a core return for any part that they will sell. I was told that it did not matter if it was a mechanical componant, sheet metal, wiring, whatever. They require your damaged or broken part in exchange for any new part. You can replace but never add.
4. ANY additions or modifications to the origional factory configuration voids the MB warrenty.

-Curt

You got one parts salespersons view. It is not true. I bought a replacement headlight assembly from local Baltimore dealer and was not required to give then the old part. I bought an Auxiliary Battery tray from a MB dealer it Atlanta no questions even though my Sprinter did not come with Aux battery from factory.

Many folks have had fixed and variable idle controls added to their Sprinter post delivery.

I now get my Interstate Sprinter serviced by local Freightliner Sprinter dealer. They have no issues and service all forms of Sprinter, Dodge, Freightliner or MB.

Recommend trying another Sprinter dealer or buying from an online seller that sells genuine Sprinter parts. There are several.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
boyne city , Michigan
Greetings - In my experience, I had both cabin battery (with a second fuse panel) and tow package (including wiring harness, for which they removed the floor of the cargo area) added to my 2012 2500 by the MB Sprinter dealer using all the MB Sprinter OEM parts I would have gotten had the factory installed the options. JMc
johnmcclorey is offline   Reply With Quote