Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
I've had a number of issues with my Sprinter. It sits for periods of time with long highway mile trips in between. I gets very little urban stop and go driving. The emissions warranty is extended if the vehicle is registered in one of the states that follows California emissions standards. That is 7years/70,000 miles, so the OP is a bit beyond that.

There's lots of info out there about Sprinters and their emissions controls especially if you look at Sprinter-source.com. It is a good engine with finicky emissions. There is one more reason to drive the Sprinter until it is thoroughly warmed up on the highway and that is to make sure your diesel particulate filter (DPF) has an opportunity to regenerate. DPF regen is accomplished by causing the DPF to heat enough to burn the carbon particles out so it doesn't become plugged, leaving a small amount of ash behind. It requires enough driving, fully warmed up, to complete a cycle.

Below is my emissions system history:

My AI is a 2013 model on a 2013 Sprinter. I purchased it in 2016 with 21,000 miles on it. At about 25,000 miles while on a long trip I had the EGR valve fail which put the van in limp mode. We were about 30 miles and a mountain pass West of Las Vegas toward Pahrump. That resulted in a tow to the Mercedes dealer. The emissions warranty covered it.

Later the same trip in the Port Aransas, TX, area, I had a check engine light, so I had it checked at the Mercedes dealer in Corpus Christi. It was the DEF heater. The service rep told me that is was no big deal, because we were somewhere warm, and it was something only important in cold climates. This was at about 26,000 miles. This wasn't entirely accurate.

About 500 miles later I noticed a dusting of a white powder inside the exhaust pipe, and by the time we got to Biloxi, there was a DEFcicle hanging down from the exhaust pipe. There was no limp mode or CEL for that event, but it was obvious that the DEF system was overdosing.

The Mercedes dealer in Mobile diagnosed the DEF heater, and both the upstream and downstream NOX sensors as defective. That was also covered under the emissions warranty.

The final emissions issue was a defective EGR cooler at 43,000 miles which was not covered under the emissions warranty according to my local dealer, but they "goodwilled" the repair because I had been diligent at having the van serviced. There was a CEL for that, but the van did not go to limp mode.

The van now has 49,000 miles, and I notice the decreasing frequency of emissions related repair. I am hoping that the troublesome components have been replaced with updated later versions that will be reliable. Other than the listed issues, the van has been a pleasure.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
We’re on the tail end of another 10km 2.5 months winter trip south, still got 1,200 miles to go. Dumbo is running flawlessly this time (minus the electric step that just quit), after last summer replacement of the DEF heater under emissions warranty. This trip included 4 hours stop/go LA traffic around Rodeo Drive to show off in-laws (all 8 of us in the rig), several nights of half hour idle charging in quiet residential streets boondocking and no CEL whatsoever. My sense on this is if something is not quite right within the complex emission control system, CEL and limp home occurrence will continue until a correct diagnosis and repair is made. It’s definitely a trying time to own a diesel.
See my original post from last year titled “Regen in action?”
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Here’s the original post...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-176014.html
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote