Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Insurance

Dose anyone have a recommendation for Insurance on these Interstates? We've got "National General", and I'm thinking all they are really good at is collecting our monthly payments.
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
Dose anyone have a recommendation for Insurance on these Interstates? We've got "National General", and I'm thinking all they are really good at is collecting our monthly payments.
Geico, at least for me.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Yesterday, I insured my '67 Caravel with Progressive and they asked me for the value of the trailer and based my rate on that information among other things. $500/yr. insured at $20k for now. As an added bonus, my Progressive boat insurance dropped 10% (bundle).
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I was also with National General through the Good Sam Club. But their rates went through the roof this year. So I called Good Sam and they found and much better rate with Progressive.
Good Sam is a broker, so my advice is to get the broker to do the work and look for a better rate for you.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I recommend calling Ron Jarvie at Overland Insurance (URL here). His company specializes in RV policies in all 49 states that allow them (Hawaii has different rules). He was recommended to me by another Air Forums user and he's been great.

You could fish around for the optimal policy yourself, but why spend the time when there's an agent right there who knows the market and can get the issue squared away in a matter of minutes?

Particularly in our case, we wanted an "agreed value" policy and my efforts amounted to pushing a lot of crap up hill while getting nowhere, until I had Ron step in and sort it out.

The "agreed value" policy was necessary because, with our older Interstate, the book value was only around half of its realistic market value. In other words, without an agreed value policy, we would have paid X for our Interstate and if it were written off in an accident, our settlement would have been only 0.5X, even if the accident had occurred three days after we paid X.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh, and BTW, I also have a full-timer policy on our rig because I use it for more purposes than "vacation". If an owner steps *one toe* outside the definition of vacation-type use and something happens to that rig, the loss won't be covered.

Read the fine print and discuss your situation with a competent agent. Myself, I don't like generic options such as Good Sam because I have to wonder how good those agents are, who seem like they might be working out of a series of revolving chairs in a call center. An agent who owns his own small insurance company is going to be more vested in the process, I suspect.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
USAA which uses Progressive for RV insurance. I have my motorcycles insured through them as well. Going this route was the least expensive and I like having the backing of USAA should something go awry....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I recommend calling Ron Jarvie at Overland Insurance (URL here). His company specializes in RV policies in all 49 states that allow them (Hawaii has different rules). He was recommended to me by another Air Forums user and he's been great.

You could fish around for the optimal policy yourself, but why spend the time when there's an agent right there who knows the market and can get the issue squared away in a matter of minutes?

Particularly in our case, we wanted an "agreed value" policy and my efforts amounted to pushing a lot of crap up hill while getting nowhere, until I had Ron step in and sort it out.

The "agreed value" policy was necessary because, with our older Interstate, the book value was only around half of its realistic market value. In other words, without an agreed value policy, we would have paid X for our Interstate and if it were written off in an accident, our settlement would have been only 0.5X, even if the accident had occurred three days after we paid X.
I've contacted Overland, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We use Geico. They have a separate department that does RV's. Thankfully we did not have any claims experience with them. We did get the Emergency Road Service coverage for about $7 per 6 months - much cheaper than Good Sam Roadside. Good Sam's touted that they had no limit on towing mileage, so I asked Geico about that topic and found that Geico doesn't either. Interblogs comment on Agreed Value would seem particularly important if there have been a lot of upgrades.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I have most of my insurance through Farmers.
I initially added the AI, but was worried it would be valued as a regular Sprinter if anything happened.
My agent (an old friend of mine) did some research and got me 'agreed value' for not a lot more than what I had. It was more- but not a huge amount.
It was an RV policy through Foremost.

I have a few motorcycles via GEICO (Farmers doesn't write new MC policies now) and it is pretty cheap. They are primarily dirt bikes (but plated) and really I wanted it mostly for theft.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Northern California , California
I have just owned my AI for less than a month...Didn't really research it but I have 21st Century...I may change it once I research this a bit...
jldmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I have most of my insurance through Farmers.
I initially added the AI, but was worried it would be valued as a regular Sprinter if anything happened.
My agent (an old friend of mine) did some research and got me 'agreed value' for not a lot more than what I had. It was more- but not a huge amount.
It was an RV policy through Foremost.

I have a few motorcycles via GEICO (Farmers doesn't write new MC policies now) and it is pretty cheap. They are primarily dirt bikes (but plated) and really I wanted it mostly for theft.

Mark
FWIW, I had EVERYTHING through Farmers, including my bikes, which were written through Foremost. When Foremost/Farmers sent me a renewal that was 50% higher than the previous year (nothing of my doing, perfect driving record, no tickets, etc) I said enough and went shopping. I got better coverage for exactly half of what Foremost wanted through USAA/Progressive. You may want to check them out for the RV and the bikes.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I get a good rate from USAA/Progressive on my AI. The multiple car discount plus my good driving record helps. I have been with USAA since 1952.

BTW, I just refinanced my AI with the credit union at 1.85%. They way undercut the percentage USAA offered.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I still have one motorycle through Farmers (an old policy) and it is a very good price.
Foremost is always higher.

I did do some checking and it was still better (but of course I didn't look at them all). The agent is a good friend of mine and I know would do all he could in the case of a claim (of course, I'm sure he has less and less influence)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I get a good rate from USAA/Progressive on my AI. The multiple car discount plus my good driving record helps. I have been with USAA since 1952.

BTW, I just refinanced my AI with the credit union at 1.85%. They way undercut the percentage USAA offered.
Wow. Now that's a great rate!

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
How much were they collecting? Mine is $754 year with National General.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
One more Progressive customer. I did a couple of comparisons with others, rates were similar, but I wasn't comparing apples to oranges. I picked Progressive because I'm already a customer (for motorcycles) and they have a great website.

State Farm had a great rate, but did not offer total replacement coverage.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I have USAA for my insurance. I use it for home and autos as well. Haven't had to use it [emoji1317] yet, but know I'm backed by a good company.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've moved around a lot. Insurance rates vary dramatically state to state and even within a state. They also vary quite a bit based on the picky details of the policy. Comparing "I pay $100 a year" to "We pay $3,000 a year" without all those details can be dangerous ... That all said, If they double your rates year to year, they are sending you a message.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
How much were they collecting? Mine is $754 year with National General.
$1020.00 per year.

My complaint is with claim service. I need the windshield replaced, well first of all its "safelite" or nothing. Well I wanted a quality installation from a shop that does many Sprinters. I did not feel the safelite shops locally were up to it. National General was only willing to pay for safelite replacement after my $500.00 deductable. That would be $242.00 that they were willing to pay.

maybe it's just me, but that's not right